Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Pugilistfan

vCash: 500
Default Why shirts in amateur boxing?

Just curious...did some reasearch and read that it was to absorb sweat and dirt??? That cant be the only reason....
Pugilistfan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
moshimoshi

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why shirts in amateur boxing?

Blue vest in the blue corner, red vest in the red corner. Probably makes judging easier.
moshimoshi is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Pugilistfan

I dont think thats it either cause i wore a white muscle shirt my first fight...and they have all sorts of colors
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
ricki
Journeyman

U know, with kickboxing and similar the idea is to uncover and let see those areas where u can legally hit, that is, in kickboxing with no lowkicks, u wear long trousers, 'cause there's no need or no use in letting u see ur opponent's legs, since they're no legal target...
Now, as boxing is concerned, I see no reason why shirts should conceal the torso, since in the amateurs it's perfectly legal to hit the body (one could raise doubt about that, in view it's so hard to score by bodypunching lol), so I've never been able to find a reasonable explanation why amateur boxers should wear shirts
ricki is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

It shows the target area is my best guess, as it gives a good indication of the allowed area.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
ricki
Journeyman

but u're supposed to be allowed to get a look of the target area - having a visual idea just about where u're hitting
ricki is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
johnnykoolkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugilistfan View Post
I dont think thats it either cause i wore a white muscle shirt my first fight...and they have all sorts of colors
what gym do you train at?????
just wondering, cause i live in the houston area too
johnnykoolkid is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Always seems like a bad idea to me. Sweat is one of the most important things that separates us as an elite predator. We are a furless biped that sweats. We have stamina that is largely unmatched in the animal kingdom. We can walk just about any quadruped into the ground. That is how we hunted large game for millennia.

The idea of wicking sweat away from the body during intense physical exercise is asinine at best, deadly at worst. I saw a sports science where they tested this new shirt that is designed to hold sweat against the body to keep it cool and it was quite revealing. They put the guy in a heated room at 125 degrees and had him swallow a pill like thermometer what would relay his core temperature through Bluetooth. They then put him on a treadmill at a good pace. In normal clothing after about 20 minutes his body temperature hit 104 and he collapsed. They let him recover to steady state and ran the experiment again with the shirt designed to hold the sweat close to the body and his body temperature maxed out at 99.

So obviously idealy you would either want no shirt or a tight fitting shirt that keeps sweat close like cotton and not one that wicks it away. Any loose fitting shirt of any fiber though and the sweat would simply cool the shirt and not your body however.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

Because it's a sport first and foremost and almost all competitors in sports wear something to cover the upper body. Professional boxing is more entertainment oriented. That would be my best guess.
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
Always seems like a bad idea to me. Sweat is one of the most important things that separates us as an elite predator. We are a furless biped that sweats. We have stamina that is largely unmatched in the animal kingdom. We can walk just about any quadruped into the ground. That is how we hunted large game for millennia.

The idea of wicking sweat away from the body during intense physical exercise is asinine at best, deadly at worst. I saw a sports science where they tested this new shirt that is designed to hold sweat against the body to keep it cool and it was quite revealing. They put the guy in a heated room at 125 degrees and had him swallow a pill like thermometer what would relay his core temperature through Bluetooth. They then put him on a treadmill at a good pace. In normal clothing after about 20 minutes his body temperature hit 104 and he collapsed. They let him recover to steady state and ran the experiment again with the shirt designed to hold the sweat close to the body and his body temperature maxed out at 99.

So obviously idealy you would either want no shirt or a tight fitting shirt that keeps sweat close like cotton and not one that wicks it away. Any loose fitting shirt of any fiber though and the sweat would simply cool the shirt and not your body however.
I'd say the majority of professional boxers, or professional athletes in general, wear shirts during training and that it hasn't caused any major setbacks or injuries.
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by di tullio View Post
I'd say the majority of professional boxers, or professional athletes in general, wear shirts during training and that it hasn't caused any major setbacks or injuries.

Heat related deaths and more common heat illness are quite common is sports even at an elite level if not more so.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
Heat related deaths and more common heat illness are quite common is sports even at an elite level if not more so.
"Heat illness"

Less of the pseudoscientific BS please
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Pugilistfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykoolkid View Post
what gym do you train at?????
just wondering, cause i live in the houston area too
I was training at JR's cardio boxing gym (in conroe) a few years ago...looking for one closer to join after the new year...right now i do some standup at HBJJC..its a grappling place but he knows alot of standup too....i live in the willowbrook area on 1960...where you training at? your place any good?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #14
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

THis little booklet I got from my gym when I first started said amateurs wear shirts to protect against rope burn, and to reduce the amount of sweat on the gloves (so it doesn't get into eyes I guess).

Don't know if that's the real reason, but it's another theory.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Pugilistfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHooker View Post
THis little booklet I got from my gym when I first started said amateurs wear shirts to protect against rope burn, and to reduce the amount of sweat on the gloves (so it doesn't get into eyes I guess).

Don't know if that's the real reason, but it's another theory.
Sounds good to me....this question has been bugging me all week lol

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing