Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #46
The Jackal
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 86
Default Re: What next for Katsidis?

He should start writing an autobiography.
I would buy a copy.
The Jackal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #47
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

I agree guys Adalaide Byrd's card in this instance was pretty much spot on.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #48
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

What i like is every time a fighter loses a fight, the trainer has to get sacked.

I don't think Brendan is the best trainer in Australia but he's a good one who has done a great job with Michael Katsidis.

The other night, MK found himself on the brink of a win over a hall of famer but then after 5 or 6 rounds i think all the things that have happened recently got to him and he lost his desire. But at the end of the day, he is a pressure fighter, an all action hero, no matter how much technique guys are taught they always resort back to their instincts.

I think he needs a year of fights against second string opponents to allow him to freshen up before he takes another toughie.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #49
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As for Chris John, Craig Christian has done a great job with him. It's not that easy to get big fights when you can fight. Ask Winky Wright.

The fact that Chris isn't in the p4p top 10 suggests he is too good for his own good. I have him at 6.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #50
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liechhardt View Post
What i like is every time a fighter loses a fight, the trainer has to get sacked.

I don't think Brendan is the best trainer in Australia but he's a good one who has done a great job with Michael Katsidis.
Hmm, I don't think like that, but I know what you mean. I also don't claim to know more about boxing, training and fighting than Smith & Katsidis. I also don't know their relationship from a bar of soap compared to them and their camp.

However, on too many occassions now we've seen Smith giving bad or no advice during fights. He also doesn't seem to have much to offer Katsidis in the way of game plans other than 'pressure this way' or 'pressure that way'.

And I mean, look at the way he carried on after the Diaz scores were announced. How could he possibly have thought Katsidis had won? That BIG miscalculation is no doubt one of the reasons Kats lost that fight - Smith kept telling him he was 'doing well, you're ahead by a couple of rounds' etc etc. When he actually needed to change his game plan entirely to stand a chance at getting ahead on points or knocking Diaz out.

And on the weekend - the only advise he gave Kats was "You're doing well" over and over again and offering sentiments like "you gotta get to him now".

How about: "Marquez is more effective when you're throwing from the outside - keep burrowing in, it's working!" or offering advice on getting out of the way of the billion uppercuts Marquez threw. Nobody should take that many uppers' in a fight.

It would be nice to see Katsidis up his game in some areas and learn a couple of tricks he clearly hasn't taken on yet as well as gain some better insight into a fight, particularly as it's happening!

Anyway, it's very unlikely and I'm not one to say what's better or worse for Kats, but that's what I see from where I'm sitting.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #51
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

My opinion is this.

Marquez if he is really serious about fighting Pac again is going to need to move up.

So that leaves
WBA Champ - Miguel Acosta
IBF Champ - Miguel Vazquez
WBO/WBA Champ - Juan M Marquez (Likely to vacate and move up)
WBC Champ - Humbert Soto

The other best fighters or Mandatories are.
WBA - Miguel Acosta / Brandon Rios
IBF - Lenny Zappa
WBO - Robert Guerrero
WBC - Reyes Sanchez

So me personally I feel Katsidis is better than almost all of the Mandatories.
And i also feel he is better than Acosta and Vazquez and maybe even Soto.

So he should be aiming at any of them with Belts.

Me personally i would like to see him fight a Eliminator with either Sanchez or Rios. Then take the main title either Soto's WBC belt or Acosta's WBA belt.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #52
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo View Post
My opinion is this.

Marquez if he is really serious about fighting Pac again is going to need to move up.

So that leaves
WBC Champ - Humbert Soto

IBF - Lenny Zappa
WBO - Robert Guerrero
WBC - Reyes Sanchez

Me personally i would like to see him fight a Eliminator with either Sanchez or Rios. Then take the main title either Soto's WBC belt or Acosta's WBA belt.
Its not a given that Soto wins this wkend against top 10 ranked Urbano Antillon - who i rate very highly.
Also the winner of Soto-Antillon will be facing Brandon Rios in early 2011.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #53
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo View Post
My opinion is this.

So that leaves
WBC Champ - Humbert Soto

IBF - Lenny Zappa
WBO - Robert Guerrero
WBC - Reyes Sanchez

I hope I'm right in saying that JMM vs Pac III is one of those fights where lots of people especially the fighter himself wants it really bad, but it's just not a good fight to make and won't happen. It is slowly looking more likely though.

My thoughts exactly though otherwise Boppa - take on one of those mandatories and gun for a belt. Would be nice if he got his hands on the WBC!
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #54
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post
I hope I'm right in saying that JMM vs Pac III is one of those fights where lots of people especially the fighter himself wants it really bad, but it's just not a good fight to make and won't happen. It is slowly looking more likely though.

My thoughts exactly though otherwise Boppa - take on one of those mandatories and gun for a belt. Would be nice if he got his hands on the WBC!
WBA Regular - Acosta, WBC - Soto & IBF - Vazquez are all locked up with Top Rank.

So unless Katsidis is a forced mandatory for either, its highly unlikely it will happen due to the issues with Golden Boy & Top Rank these days.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #55
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

There's nothing to stop Marquez holding his belts while he has a catchweight with Pacquiao. It's not like he had to relinquish when he fought Floyd at 147lbs.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #56
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
There's nothing to stop Marquez holding his belts while he has a catchweight with Pacquiao. It's not like he had to relinquish when he fought Floyd at 147lbs.
The WBO will most likely sanction an interim title fight like they did before involving Katsidis.
The WBA probably wont bother as Marquez is their "Super" champ & he only has to fulfill his mandatory with "Regular" champ Miguel Acosta sometime in the next 12-18 months. Only then would he be stripped by them.
Ring Magazine wont strip him unless he releases a statement saying he will not fight at 135 pounds ever again.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #57
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

If I were him, I'd relinquish the WBO and WBA belts straight away. He is above paying them sanctioning fees. He'd still be considered the man at Lightweight by all and sundry.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #58
perko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

kats coulda had yank durham , eddie futch , angelo dundee , emmanual stewart , ambrose palmer and johnny lewis training him and in his corner against marquez and the result would always be the same . christ he was up against the bloke who a lot of punters still think beat pac twice.
perko is online now  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #59
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
If I were him, I'd relinquish the WBO and WBA belts straight away. He is above paying them sanctioning fees. He'd still be considered the man at Lightweight by all and sundry.
I agree mate...Ring Magazine wont strip him unless he never fights at 135 again, so stuff paying those fees & keep the money for himself.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #60
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perko View Post
kats coulda had yank durham , eddie futch , angelo dundee , emmanual stewart , ambrose palmer and johnny lewis training him and in his corner against marquez and the result would always be the same . christ he was up against the bloke who a lot of punters still think beat pac twice.
Agree but you never know if you don't try?

Marquez is a top elite world boxer but maybe it wouldn't hurt to try another avenue to see if it leads somewhere.

Andyoushow...KMA
one in a million is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum