*Bernard Hopkins now has 23
jas is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
OvidsExile
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: List of Fighters with Most World Title Wins

Maybe we ought to count each of the ones from the pre-alphabet days as 4 when we compare them with moderns. That way Ray Robinson captured the middleweight title about twenty times.

Wait, this is about title defenses. Probably ought to quadruple them too. With 4 different sanctioning organizations that each don't list the other's champs are you fighting a top 10 guy or a top 40 guy?

Also, we already have a thread on this called something like Fighters vs HOFers and top 10 competition. Pretty sure Maxie Rossenbloom smoked everybody with about 100, then Robinson had about half that. With guys like Pep and Armstrong pulling close afterward. One other thing, shouldn't Jimmy Wilde or somebody who held the title for a decade hold the record for most defenses? I see Joe Louis in that pic but there were one or two other guys with super long reigns like Hopkins. Lastly, that list makes no distinction between guys who sat on a piece of the crown and someone who unified. Ivan Calderon defended the WBO strap 18 or 19 times, does that mean he's better than Carlos Monzon who defended the middleweight title 15 times?

Last edited by OvidsExile; 03-29-2014 at 10:16 PM.
OvidsExile is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post
Maybe we ought to count each of the ones from the pre-alphabet days as 4 when we compare them with moderns. That way Ray Robinson captured the middleweight title about twenty times.

Wait, this is about title defenses. Probably ought to quadruple them too. With 4 different sanctioning organizations that each don't list the other's champs are you fighting a top 10 guy or a top 40 guy?

Also, we already have a thread on this called something like Fighters vs HOFers and top 10 competition. Pretty sure Maxie Rossenbloom smoked everybody with about 100, then Robinson had about half that. With guys like Pep and Armstrong pulling close afterward. One other thing, shouldn't Jimmy Wilde or somebody who held the title for a decade hold the record for most defenses? I see Joe Louis in that pic but there were one or two other guys with super long reigns like Hopkins. Lastly, that list makes no distinction between guys who sat on a piece of the crown and someone who unified. Ivan Calderon defended the WBO strap 18 or 19 times, does that mean he's better than Carlos Monzon who defended the middleweight title 15 times?
Excellent post Ovid!!!
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Now you've got 4-5 belts with 10 top ten contenders in each and the moronic logic that 'rates' the top 10 in each body can only agree with 5 or 6 in total. WTF, do we have 10 legitimate 'top-ten' contenders or frigging 45 of them!!!???
I'm 60 yrs. old; I remember dad taking me to the barbershop in the early 60's with a Ring Magazine on the table. We ALL knew who the top 10 contenders were not to mention who each CHAMP was!
Boxing has literally broken my heart the last two decades if not longer.
jowcol is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum