Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Mike W
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default how good is Cane Valasquez??

I know that Cain Valasquez is the UFC Heavyweight Champion and he has been one of the best Heavyweights for a while. I have seen a few of his highlight videos. But how good is he really. Is he anything like Fedor Emelianenko was during his winning streak??

I hope Rashad Evans will move up to Heavyweight division again after he takes the UFC Lightheavyweight title from Shogun then take the UFC Heavyweight title from Cain.
Mike W is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: how good is Cane Valasquez??

He's better than evans
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
jrow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

he is one of the most talented fighters in the world and only keeps getting better everytime he fights,and rashad isnt ever gonna be the light heavyweight champ again, so what makes you think he can be the heavyweight champ?
jrow is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

i think he is good but has smashed the guys he has faced cos he is small, which isnt usually the case. he is so much more co-ordinated, agile, faster, more explosive then kongo, rothwell, brock and nog. HOWEVER i still think he is a bit too tenacious and wild. against brock and rothwell he showed composure and didnt go nuts. i think he is very strong and powerful for a 6'1 podgy heavyweight but technically someone could get him.

i dont think the technical guys who could get him are in the ufc - reem, werdum, fedor etc. JDS could definitely get him in the stand up. i dont think mir, carwin, nelson etc are gonna be the one to stop him.

very intrigued to see how brock comes back cos he still has the ability to beat cain but can he execute!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

CV is the quickest HW in UFC. And he seems to be ice cold and have a good chin. He can wrestle and is a very effective stiker. He knows how to finish a fight and seems to have a good head on his shoulder with reguards to training and the game in general. So on paper and from what we have seen he is VERY good.

But you'll never really know until he hangs up his gloves I suppose. I'd love to see him in with Fedor though, that would be a very interesting match up.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

And by 'quickest' I mean speed of mind. The time between him seeing a gap and landing a blow is very good. Just wanted to point that out before people start listing mechanical speeds of other fighters, it's all about being able to applying that shit in the octagon.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
moreorless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
CV is the quickest HW in UFC. And he seems to be ice cold and have a good chin.
Not sure about that, Kongo rocked him a few times with not espeically powerful looking punches. His recovery was great though, reminded me alot of Shogun springing back into the takedown when Rogerio clocked him.

I just have a feeling that his defence/chin isnt good enough to trade with JDS for any lenght of time, up until now he's been walking though alot of punchs but Dos Santos hits far harder and isnt going to offer as easy an escape as Kongo.

Cain does look to have more potential to devolp over the next 2-3 years than anyone else at HW though IMHO, unlike Brock he does seem to have a natural ability for striking/grappling that can be built on but JDS may come a year or two early if you ask me.
moreorless is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

I see him and JDS having a fantastic rivalry

Brock and Shane
JDS and Cain

Anyone for a double trilogy?
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless View Post
Not sure about that, Kongo rocked him a few times with not espeically powerful looking punches. His recovery was great though, reminded me alot of Shogun springing back into the takedown when Rogerio clocked him.

I just have a feeling that his defence/chin isnt good enough to trade with JDS for any lenght of time, up until now he's been walking though alot of punchs but Dos Santos hits far harder and isnt going to offer as easy an escape as Kongo.

Cain does look to have more potential to devolp over the next 2-3 years than anyone else at HW though IMHO, unlike Brock he does seem to have a natural ability for striking/grappling that can be built on but JDS may come a year or two early if you ask me.
Not cast iron by any means but I think it looks pretty good at this stage. I think JDS is a big test for any fighter at any stage of their career. I just have a hunch that CV is going to be one of those guys that takes it up a few levels when they get a belt. I have no evidence to base this on but he just seems like a guy that will improve because he is the champ. But like I say, JDS is badass for anyone.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
moreorless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
Not cast iron by any means but I think it looks pretty good at this stage. I think JDS is a big test for any fighter at any stage of their career. I just have a hunch that CV is going to be one of those guys that takes it up a few levels when they get a belt. I have no evidence to base this on but he just seems like a guy that will improve because he is the champ. But like I say, JDS is badass for anyone.
I do think Cain shows alot of potential to improve given the natural ability of both grappling and striking he's shown.

Style wise right now though I think JDS might just be a bad matchup for him unless he changes his gameplan. This far he's he's generally depended on aggresion and toughness to win matches but when your facing a guy like Junior who can end the fight with one punch leaving no chance for a comeback that often isnt the best tactic.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
zarman

vCash:

he looks really good and seems to be improving every fight. dont see him staying champion for long tho
Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Mike W
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrow View Post
he is one of the most talented fighters in the world and only keeps getting better everytime he fights,and rashad isnt ever gonna be the light heavyweight champ again, so what makes you think he can be the heavyweight champ?
Rashad Evans will win back the UFC LHW title easily. He is just as good at HW, therefore, he would win the UFC HW title as well.

I always said that Rashad Evans can beat Fedor Emelianenko when Fedor seemed to be unstoppable. Rashad Evans is that good.
Mike W is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good fighter with potential but hasnt shown enough, hasnt shown enough grappling and sumbission so we dont really know how good he really is at the moment. All the great proven fighters are in Strikeforce so Cain needs to prove himself in Strikeforce and fight the best (after JDS).
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
moreorless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarman View Post
he looks really good and seems to be improving every fight. dont see him staying champion for long tho
If he beats JDS I can see him staying champion for awhile, Carwin might be dangerous but I doubt he could hang with Cains pace for more than a round. I don't see a second fight with Lesnar going any differently and he seems like a Horrible matchup for Mir aswell.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #15
Dantes
ESB Magnate
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Rashad Evans will win back the UFC LHW title easily. He is just as good at HW, therefore, he would win the UFC HW title as well.

I always said that Rashad Evans can beat Fedor Emelianenko when Fedor seemed to be unstoppable. Rashad Evans is that good.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Dantes is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum