boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Heavy bag cardio drills (please add more)

What are some heavy bag drills you do that are more for cardio than technique?

I may use them myself, but mostly I'm looking for new ideas to use with people who I do personal training sessions with so they don't do the same bag drills every session.

Here's what I currently use.

-Straight punches for 10 seconds then 10 seconds rest (or the partner punches) then go again. Can modify by changing the interval time, or the punches used ie 5 seconds punching with only left and right hooks, or change up punching fast as possible, then hard as possible.

-Chose a combo and then each person takes turns throwing it once, switching back and forth. If you don't have a partner you can just throw it once then pause for like 2 seconds and go again.

-Ten jabs, ten right straights, ten left hooks, ten right hooks. Can be modified by only throwing 3 or 5 of each punch. If with a partner, one person throws their jabs, then the other person jabs, then the first throws their straight rights etc.

-30 seconds repeatedly throwing a combination or just freestyle, then 30 seconds of an exercise (pushups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers etc)

-If you have several bags lined up, shuffle around them using proper boxing footwork and throw a set combo on each bag as you pass it.

-Jab, cross, left hook, right hook followed by a jumping jack or burpee. Modify it by doing the 1-2-3-4 two or three times and then doing two or three jumping jacks/burpees.

That's all I can think of right now. If you have any more please add them. Thanks.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
ShamrockNapalm
Rhythm Amongst The Chaos
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1344
Default Re: Heavy bag cardio drills (please add more)

One I do that really improves cardio,endurance,and even some strength is what we at my gym call burners. You set your timer for a minute and throw as many jabs and right hands as you can. Stance and technique are important but it shouldn't be the main focus of the drill. If you have fighters with a lot of power make them keep the bag tilted at a 45 degree angle (or more up) while punching it. The object is to make it so the bag is never let down until you're finished. The standard goal is to get 100 right hands (or 200 jabs and crosses) in the minute that you've been given. Anything else after that is considered a bonus.

You can count yourself and take a one minute rest. Or you can have somebody else count for you and then switch while counting for them.
ShamrockNapalm is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
ElGalloNegro
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Heavy bag cardio drills (please add more)

[quote=-Jab, cross, left hook, right hook followed by a jumping jack or burpee. Modify it by doing the 1-2-3-4 two or three times and then doing two or three jumping jacks/burpees.

[/quote]

We do something similar.. above said combos and then 5 pushups and then back on the bag....your shoulders hurt then.
ElGalloNegro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing