Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Classic Forum Opinions...

On Calzaghe vs Kessler

(PLEASE DON'T MOVE )

Kessler is one of the purest technicians in boxing today, whilst Calzaghe has fantastic natural skills too. I personally think Kessler or calzaghe would defeat any other 160-175LB'er in the world today.

so lets have it, who wins and why ?
Nemesis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic Forum Opinions...

You know they're going to move this.

I think Joe Calzaghe will win. I've only seen bits and bobs from Kessler, but I think Joe is actually a better fighter. He's faster. If Joe takes even 1% dipshit into the ring with him (and he has done before), he'll lose, of course, but I don't think that will happen - Joe knows this guy is special, as you describe Nemisis.

But his edge in class will show down the back straight. Calzaghe can lose some early exchanges and split the early rounds, but I see the cream rising to the top when things get tough in the second half of the fight. Joe in a clear but close decision, winning four out of the last six rounds.

EDIT: Are you gambling on this one Nemisis?
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Kessler will win rather easily.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Calzaghe, close but clear UD. 8 rounds to 4. A higher workrate down the stretch will make the difference in this fight, Calzaghe doing enough to edge the close rounds.

I'll echo what McGrain says, regarding the dipshit part. Kessler isn't the right opponent for him to clown around against, Joe himself knows that and I can't see this materialising.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

I think it's a toss up. I'm rooting for Kessler, but I have a feeling Calzaghe will eek out a decision.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
Kessler will win rather easily.

"Yer 'avin' a giraffe, mate?"
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I'll have to go with Calzaghe because i've only seen Kessler twice. I was most impressed with him though. But i'm big on home advantage I am. If Kessler wins it's a marvellous victory, but he might shit his pants like Lacy did. I hope not though. But I'll go with Joe on points anyway.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Close to a pick 'em.

One thing to consideris that Kessler is precise but also pretty damn slow and methodical.Calzaghe may not have the reflexes to take advantage anymore however.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Barring a hand injury I pick Calzaghe to win.

He is simply too fast and has too many stylistic asets for Kessler. The thing with Calzaghe is that he can fight in about three diferent ways and do all of them well.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Kessler is alledged to have a hand injury. So I suspect that both will have hand worries going in....

Calzaghe is the proven fighter of the two, but I think Kessler is for real as well, it will just be Calzaghe's experience and fighting at home, that will take him over the top:

Calzaghe WM12 (7-5)
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

calzaghe.....he fights his fight and doesnt let kessler get comftorable........ud
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
You know they're going to move this.

I think Joe Calzaghe will win. I've only seen bits and bobs from Kessler, but I think Joe is actually a better fighter. He's faster. If Joe takes even 1% dipshit into the ring with him (and he has done before), he'll lose, of course, but I don't think that will happen - Joe knows this guy is special, as you describe Nemisis.

But his edge in class will show down the back straight. Calzaghe can lose some early exchanges and split the early rounds, but I see the cream rising to the top when things get tough in the second half of the fight. Joe in a clear but close decision, winning four out of the last six rounds.

EDIT: Are you gambling on this one Nemisis?
I fear that calzaghe is slightly past his peak and will fade away down the stretch, passing of the torch so to speak, a 115-112 type decision.

i refuse to bet on this, as I am a pecimist at heart
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #13
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Kessler's jab will cause Calzaghe problems. He's probably better than Calzaghe at long range, thats more his territory. Calzaghe's work at arms length isn't bad, but he's much better at crowding opponents with combinations.

Big fight experience is what Kessler lacks. Even though Calzaghe has been champion for 10 years, his career so far aint exactly glittered with big fight ocassions, but he does hold a slight edge over Kessler in that side of things.

50/50 fight
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #14
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I favour Calzaghe 55/45

The key to winning this fight for him is to put Kessler on the backfoot - Kessler likes to work off of the frontfoot, and get his punches off first. We've seen Kessler's offense nullified, or at least diminished, when he's driven back as he was in stages against Mundine, and for large parts of the fight against the inhuman Librado Andrade.

Mundines problem was that he wasn't so comfortable fighting that sort of fight at the time, and couldn't sustain the pressure, and Andrade just didn't have the ability to capitalize.

If Kessler establishes the jab, and backs Calzaghe up, I think he'll win - He's certainly the better puncher, technically and in terms of raw power, and he has what it takes to hurt Calzaghe.

I do feel Calzaghe is the much better overall fighter though - He can initiate, counterpunch, attack at angles, use the ring and in essence is a pretty complete fighter. But I feel a more passive approach will cost him the fight, if Kessler gets into his groove he's too dangerous. Calzaghe needs to keep the pace of the fight as high as he can, get inside and drive Kessler back.

The way I look at it, the ball is in Calzaghe's court. If he fights the perfect fight, there's nothing Kessler can do to defeat him, he's not a well-rounded enough fighter. But if Calzaghe gets stunned with a big punch (a la Byron Mitchell) and is forced onto the backfoot the tide of the fight could change quickly.

Kessler is no Jeff Lacy - I'm sure it won't be a walk in the park for Calzaghe, but whilst I favour him very slightly, I would not be surprised to see Kessler stop him, or come close to stopping him, if he gets out of fourth gear.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
On Calzaghe vs Kessler

(PLEASE DON'T MOVE )

Kessler is one of the purest technicians in boxing today, whilst Calzaghe has fantastic natural skills too. I personally think Kessler or calzaghe would defeat any other 160-175LB'er in the world today.

so lets have it, who wins and why ?
This is a great fight. Perhaps the greatest fight in the history of the 168 pound division.

Clazaghe is a true boxing master. I've seen enough of him to know he's not a coward in the ring who plays it safe, nor does he had a suspect chin like say Roy Jones did. Calzaghe will fire back. He doesn't sit back and cover up on the ropes, then clinch to get out of trouble. The paint job Calzaghe did on Lacy was outstanding.

Kessler perhaps hits a little harder, and is closer to his prime.

So who wins? This is match seems like a lower weight type of fight, and as such the man with the better speed and skills will win 8 of 10 times. I don't see any knockouts or knockdowns here.

My pick is Calzaghe to win on points.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum