Old 12-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Wladimir Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Ain't that kinda true for most fighters though, Bummy?
I have to question what performance by Witherspoon sticks out for me and I come up short....I did not think too much of the dedication of this era and the fans suffered...What was Spoons biggest win and against who
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
He looks more impressive because he's more defensively difficult---which is more impressive. He's a better all around fighter. He can still do big damage but his opponents don't see a tenth of the easier openings. Ibragimov, Chagaev and Chambers are all better than Brewster, Puritty and Sanders, imo. When it comes to Puritty, that's not really just an opinion either, I don't think. They're lesser punchers, but higher quality fighters. Oh, and you can't go "exactly" to my disagreeing with you.
it's because of the quality of opposition that nobody can get by wlad's defense
he still isn't as aggressive as he was before and he would need it against the spoon-wlad can't just jab and throw right hands because Tim is eventually going to time him with a right hand. not only is the old wlad more athletic and faster but hes younger. maybe he let's out openings but the fact is that wlad's opponents aren't good enough to take him out. spoon certainly is.

and bummy I'd say his best wins are over mercer, Bruno, gonzalaz, smith, ribalta, and tubbs. better resume then wlad and vitali
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Here's the rub: Witherspoon has the skills to knock Wlad's head off ... no doubt to me .. however we have a bout between a career underachiever in Witherspoon and a Wlad who has demonstrated the mental strength to maximize his skill set ... In such a match up I have to go with Wlad but I would not bet it ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Here's the rub: Witherspoon has the skills to knock Wlad's head off ...
You can replace "Wlad's" with "Any heavy who ever lived"... That overhand right was a wicked punch that came in at a weird angle with tons of leverage. The question is would he land it enough to win.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

he wouldn't need to land it a lot. wlad still has a glass chin. while wlad may get up he still lacks the chin to keep on taking the shots after hes hurt.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #21
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Tim in his prime lands a right hand in from rounds 2-3 and stops Vlad easily.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #22
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Also, problem with this fight is that Vlad and Vitali are so big. Tim was a big heavyweight in the 1980's, but compared to Vlad and Vitali he is a smaller heavyweight. But his right hand was still so solid that he would have hurt Vlad with it. I think Vitali beats a prime Tim. I always saw Tyson as the best after Larry Holmes and then you had the guys like Tubbs and Tucker and Pinklon Thomas below Mike, and between Mike and those guys was Tim... He was a little better than Tubbs and Tucker and Thomas and Bonecrusher.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #23
boza81
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I have to question what performance by Witherspoon sticks out for me and I come up short....I did not think too much of the dedication of this era and the fans suffered...What was Spoons biggest win and against who
Have you forgotten that 'Spoon almost beat Holmes in '83. That was a good performance. He shut down the Holmes jab and rocked Larry with some big right hands. Larry certainly took a better shot than Wlad. The key would be Witherspoon's ability to nulify Wlad's jab. If he could, then, Wlad's right had would be pretty useless, and Tim could come over the top with his own right hand. It wouldn't be easy because Wlad is so tall, but he's also not exactly fast, or defensively proficient. It's true that most of the 80's heavyweights were not greatly conditioned and underachieved, but they had skills.
boza81 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boza81 View Post
Have you forgotten that 'Spoon almost beat Holmes in '83. That was a good performance. He shut down the Holmes jab and rocked Larry with some big right hands. Larry certainly took a better shot than Wlad. The key would be Witherspoon's ability to nulify Wlad's jab. If he could, then, Wlad's right had would be pretty useless, and Tim could come over the top with his own right hand. It wouldn't be easy because Wlad is so tall, but he's also not exactly fast, or defensively proficient. It's true that most of the 80's heavyweights were not greatly conditioned and underachieved, but they had skills.
I think Larry was ripe to be beaten but Tim did pull the trigger and he was pretty much consistently a fighter that did not go the extra mile. Granted he only had 15 fights but Witherspoon never really stood out or went the extra mile. I think Vlad has better size than Bone-crusher, has a jab that equals the very best. At this point in time a solid defense and a great right hand and hook. I think Vlad is a better class fighter than most of what Spoon fought and more dangerous than Holmes ...I like Vlad by a Thompson like stop
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tim would definitely be a live opponent for Wlad.

Would Tim beat Wlad? I don't think so, but don't count out the possibility altogether.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #26
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Spoon was pretty well accustomed to taking on big men and fighters of all ranging styles and description. Wlad and Vitali should both be favored to beat him, but I don't think the odds should be too heavy.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
it's because of the quality of opposition that nobody can get by wlad's defense
he still isn't as aggressive as he was before and he would need it against the spoon-wlad can't just jab and throw right hands because Tim is eventually going to time him with a right hand. not only is the old wlad more athletic and faster but hes younger. maybe he let's out openings but the fact is that wlad's opponents aren't good enough to take him out. spoon certainly is.

and bummy I'd say his best wins are over mercer, Bruno, gonzalaz, smith, ribalta, and tubbs. better resume then wlad and vitali
Not necessarily Mercer was already beaten by trial horse Ferguson, Bruno was stiff and green and open to roundhouses, Ribalta was known for his losses, Smith ordinary and Tubbs was no stand-out...I have to say Thompson, Ibragimov,Peter,Austin,Rahman,Chambers,Chagaev,Byrd,Kirk Johnson are at least as good as this batch IMO its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #28
bruthead
REAL TALK
ESB Senior Member

People really need to realise that 2010 Wlad is a very different animal to pre-2005 Wlad.
bruthead is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #29
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Not necessarily Mercer was already beaten by trial horse Ferguson, Bruno was stiff and green and open to roundhouses, Ribalta was known for his losses, Smith ordinary and Tubbs was no stand-out...I have to say Thompson, Ibragimov,Peter,Austin,Rahman,Chambers,Chagaev,Byrd,Kirk Johnson are at least as good as this batch IMO its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other
yeah and spoon battled Holmes to a close decision which is something wlad could never accomplish
those fighters you listed are not as good as the ones I had Listed earlier. wlad is also supposed to be a great fighter and have great wins but even spoon who wasn't even champion has better wins then him. and a close fight with Holmes
Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #30
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
I think Tim takes this very early. With a right hand bomb. Spoon will set him up with the jab and land that overhand right. I don't think Wlad will take it very well.
Of course, Wlad will have his moments and will measure Spoon with the jab for a couple of rounds.. but the moment Spoon connects with the right, Wlad probably gets hurt. Spoon could punch
I see a distance fight here,with Witherspoon schooling Klitschko.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum