Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Prime Lennox Lewis

I know most people rank Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali the top 2 heavys of all time but...
Prime Lennox Lewis , could Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali really have beaten Lennox i dont think so i think lennox was to superior technically i think he was too strong and i think he would have beaten any heavyweight in history if it was a prime vs prime scenario if you disagree please tell me how you think either man would have beaten him because going over it in my head i cant see it happening ...
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
alexvoce

vCash:
Default Re: Prime Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
I know most people rank Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali the top 2 heavys of all time but...
Prime Lennox Lewis , could Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali really have beaten Lennox i dont think so i think lennox was to superior technically i think he was too strong and i think he would have beaten any heavyweight in history if it was a prime vs prime scenario if you disagree please tell me how you think either man would have beaten him because going over it in my head i cant see it happening ...
he would have beaten ali easily, joe louis would be a good fight. Tyson prime would have beaten him.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvoce View Post
he would have beaten ali easily, joe louis would be a good fight. Tyson prime would have beaten him.
tysonnnnnnnnnnn hoooooooook!
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Prime Lenny Lewis KO's Prime Louis And decisions Prime Ali.

BUT - PRIME 1973 Big George KO's Lenny in 6 Roundz of Haymakers.

I LOVE your G-Man avvy!

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooook!!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
nahkis
Robbed

No.
nahkis is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Stevie G is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Ali decisions Lennox. Too fast,and he'd stand up to any haymakers that he'd get caught with. Lewis and Louis would be an interesting one.
Stevie G is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Prime Lenny Lewis KO's Prime Louis And decisions Prime Ali.

BUT - PRIME 1973 Big George KO's Lenny in 6 Roundz of Haymakers.

I LOVE your G-Man avvy!

Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooook!!
ye i mean prime george is the only contender in my eyes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Ali decisions Lennox. Too fast,and he'd stand up to any haymakers that he'd get caught with. Lewis and Louis would be an interesting one.

i think when u take into account the size difference between lennox and louis a knockout is inevitable
Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Peter Brit
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Well Evander Holyfield proved a natural 200 pound exceptional fighter could still at least hold their own against the 235 super heavies. Ali had the speed and footwork in the 60's to run rings round anybody. So Ali I believe would beat Lewis. Joe Louis fought big heavyweights as big as Lennox. They were exceptions for there time. There was not a big pool of super heavyweights with great skills in Louis era. Joe Louis style would not work any better than Holyfield against Lennox and riddick Bowe for my money.

So Ali no
Joe Louis yes

If Joe Louis could adapt his style to be less open in taking shots e.g. a bit more Walcott but with full concentration it could be interesting. Plucking Joe louis from history and putting him in 1995 with lennox would only have one outcome a lewis knock out. Joe louis never need to adapt for his era so it is a bit unfair to ask the question.
Peter Brit is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

They all would've been competitive fights, and any combination of wins and losses wouldn't surprise me.

I do think Lennox's pure skills get overrated- not that he wasn't damn good, but he got alot of mileage off of having physical advantages to execute simpler gameplans moreso than putting on boxing masterclasses. I still can't get over how he was getting outjabbed by Ray Mercer and arguably lost that fight (no rematch, funnily enough). The Rahman knockout was a result of laying on the ropes (why is the bigger man laying on the ropes?) with his guard open.

Again, don't misinterpret- Lewis was a hell of a fighter, but he was more apt to demolish an opponent than to school them. If a fighter can outlast the punishment Lennox would inflict, he could be outboxed and left openings for those who could take advantage of them.

Ali and Louis were good enough to do so, but they'd be damn good fights regardless of who wins. Louis-Lewis would be far more fan friendly, though.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd personally say Lewis could conceivably beat all the ATG heavyweights, but the one's he could loose to include Ali, by decision, Tyson by KO, and less likely but possible, Holmes by decision, and Foreman by KO.

Others such as Louis and Liston, also have an outside chance of beating him, but would likely loose more often than not.

But if there was a round robin of ATG fighters, it wouldn't surprise me if Lewis won.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Ali and Louis both beat Lewis. Louis too good with his combos, despite being a smaller man.
Ali has faced size and reach differences before. Please don't try to use that as a reason to why Lewis Would beat Ali. Say, because of his power and jab, then it's a different story. I still see ali's speed and durability negating anything Lewis tries to do. And Ali has stopped very durable men before. definitely a chance for a stoppage for Ali.

As for Louis, I see his combos and speed being too much for Lewis.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lewis was a good fighter. He was big and strong and well disciplined, but he fought a lot of slow plodding technically inept fighters, so a lot of his shortcomings were covered up.
I wasnt impressed with him beating big strong guys with little talent, (the Briggs, Grant, Golota level fighters), and fights with Mercer, Bruno and Vitali who he struggled with really put into proper perspective for me that he was not that great of a fighter overall. I think he would have struggled with some of the more mobile fighters of the mid to late 80's, and it was interesting that the fighters he did struggle with were more along the lines of 80's fighters. Guys with jabs and movement.
Lewis was technically superior to his competition but equalled them in size so he always had a big advantage. I dont think he would have had the same success had he come into his prime years in the late 80's because the boxers would have troubled him. He faced a lot of big guys who just stood in front of him.
I think had he fought Bowe after Bowe fought Holyfield he would have had a real short career.
lefthook31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum