Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Lennox Lewis

Joe Louis would have a hard time getting inside that long jab of Lennox Lewis. Joe's best chance is to sneak inside and land a deadly combination or work the body. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Brown Bomber to do that, but it would be very difficult because Lennox is a long fighter. And Lennox has a hard uppercut, too. I'd give this one to Lennox Lewis because Joe Louis needs to be in a certain range to be effective, and frankly, the Lewis jab and uppercut would be too much.

As for Ali, I think Lewis would have a field day with the 70s version of Muhammad Ali. Lennox would counter Ali's jab the way that Ken Norton did, and be much effective with it. Lewis would struggle more with the faster, fleet-flooted Ali of the 1960s, but even then, he could capitalize on Ali's mistakes. (Fighting with his hands low, leaning back to avoid punches, etc) With Emmanuel Steward in his corner, I ultimately think Lewis would take this one, too.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post
I'd personally say Lewis could conceivably beat all the ATG heavyweights, but the one's he could loose to include Ali, by decision, Tyson by KO, and less likely but possible, Holmes by decision, and Foreman by KO.

Others such as Louis and Liston, also have an outside chance of beating him, but would likely loose more often than not.

But if there was a round robin of ATG fighters, it wouldn't surprise me if Lewis won.
I agree with this.

It all depends which Lewis decides to show up I think.

A focused, confident Lewis was a beast.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #18
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Lewis was a good fighter. He was big and strong and well disciplined, but he fought a lot of slow plodding technically inept fighters, so a lot of his shortcomings were covered up.
I wasnt impressed with him beating big strong guys with little talent, (the Briggs, Grant, Golota level fighters), and fights with Mercer, Bruno and Vitali who he struggled with really put into proper perspective for me that he was not that great of a fighter overall. I think he would have struggled with some of the more mobile fighters of the mid to late 80's, and it was interesting that the fighters he did struggle with were more along the lines of 80's fighters. Guys with jabs and movement.
Lewis was technically superior to his competition but equalled them in size so he always had a big advantage. I dont think he would have had the same success had he come into his prime years in the late 80's because the boxers would have troubled him. He faced a lot of big guys who just stood in front of him.
I think had he fought Bowe after Bowe fought Holyfield he would have had a real short career.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #19
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Im not a massive fan of Ali but he proved he could cope with all styles and sizes.I think he would probably have been able to cope with Lennox.Ali at his best was very fast and accurate,he would take control of the pace away from Lennox and probably tire him out as it went on.An Ali fight would not be a good one for Lennox.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #20
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvoce View Post
he would have beaten ali easily, joe louis would be a good fight. Tyson prime would have beaten him.

1997 Lenny Lewis KO7 1988 Tinfoil Tyson.

Foreman Hooooooooooook!!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #21
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Joe Louis would be a fairly easy night of work for Lewis. No dis respect to Joe but Lewis would be simply too big and too physical for Joe.

Prime Ali would be a different story . If both come in perfectly at their best i think the fight is determined completely by what Ali does. He needs to be unorthodox in this fight to beat Lewis. I am guessing Ali is going to be using speed step in and out with his fast jab , i am not sure if i see this working as this does rely on Lewis then going to chase Ali and i am not sure he would. Lewis , IMO, would happily stand and just try to land on Ali on Alis way in and out. Lewis has a hight and reach advantage which would nullify some of Alis speed if Ali decides to step in and out using the jab and staying on his toes. If this happens the fight could go either way.

If Lewis chose to chase Ali i think he would be able to catch him and rough things up on occasion. Ali used his size and strength when he couldnt keep some one off. Even against Foreman he was pushing and tying up well, against Lewis this would be disastrous, Lewis was a monster and would do real damage to Ali in the clinches.

If i was Manny Steward i would tell Lewis to be very stationery for the fight half of the fight then chase Ali for the second .

This fight would be great , i think ( probably because i am a Lewis nut hugger) that Lewis has a slightly greater chance of winning.

Other than Ali the only person i give such a close chance of winning too is Tyson , although i favour Lewis pretty confidently in this one.

I dont give Foreman much of a chance against Lewis , he cannt outbox Lewis , he cannt out slug Lewis , he isnt fast enough to land a unseen bomb. Holmes may be able to outbox Lewis fora whilst but he could be drawn into a brawl , Lewis had the right hand to give Larry nightmares.

I have Lewis H2H number one but like i say i am a nuthugger.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #22
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

I'm a big advocate of Lennox Lewis being one of the best heavyweights of all time. I would favour Ali and Louis over him head to head though. With Ali it's a simple speed of foot issue, sometimes people underestimate how well he could change direction, he did it effortlessly. I don't think somebody with the style of Lennox, a ring general, dominating centre ring with the jab, should be favoured over a prime Ali. That said, Lewis is very versatile, and has the heart for me to possibly cause the upset. Louis-Lewis, again a simple analysis from me, i think Louis could seriously let his hands go, it only takes one countering opportunity for Louis, not for him to end the fight (i don't underestimate Lewis' chin) but for his presence to be felt. Once Louis really starts to tee off you're in a world of hurt. Lewis though, does have a chance here, i don't think he's going to be too elusive for Joe, but his defence is good enough to have him fighting on even terms, and if he imposes himself you never know.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
van_pelt
Journeyman

I think Lennox Lewis is a hard heavyweight to judge. Both his two losses were pretty much accidental. Lewis proved that decisively with the remaches. The fact is Lennox never gave the feeling that he was inferior to an opponent - no matter the name of that opponent. He is a top 5 ATG in my oppinion, one that could have won against anyone in any era.

In fact, that's the main idea when we're talking about the greats, you never know exactly who would have beaten who. Especially if they didn't fight at least once, as it's the case with Lennox and Ali.
van_pelt is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #24
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tua-Lewis is a great example of how technically sound Lewis could be. Also stood up to Tuas best shots. Prime for prime I think Ali-Lewis is a 50-50 fight. I like Holmes over Lewis slightly and have no doubt big George would KO him in a war within 5 rounds. Apart from that I tend to favour Lewis over any other heavyweight.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
I know most people rank Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali the top 2 heavys of all time but...
Prime Lennox Lewis , could Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali really have beaten Lennox.
A. Yes

B. It dosn't matter
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum