RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: George Foreman Vs Rocky Maricano

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatesdeboxeo View Post
nice try, ... Pure demagoguery
a great small fighter beats a big heavy bag, a great big fighter beats an small great fighter.

Yes the size is a factor when you are not a hw and you have to face atg hw plus foreman is top 2 hardest punchers and probably the strongest and most brutal hw.
It is not only the size, it is about styles, marciano had nothing above foreman except the stamina, but the stamina would not be a factor in this fight, marciano did not have the style to avoid foreman early.
Hey Combateo how's it going my man? You still slugging it out in this thread? Thought i read somewhere you'd got banned or something - good to see you're still punching

PS you say a great big fighter beats a small great fighter (??) but I think in this case we are talking about an absolutely superlative elite legendary (something altogether different) small fighter with freakish power and strength of his own versus a godawful big boxer who just happened to have collossul power which got him out of a hole a lot of the time when his amateurish limitedness was making him look a bit clueless against people who in hindsight you would've imagine he would've dominated - that's the difference
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #422
BlackCloud
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Wow!
Just spent the best part of an hour reading that lot.
BlackCloud is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #423
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacpowerpellet View Post
who wins in primes i see foreman destroying him before the 5th same way he did frazier but i think marciano gets kod worse because he slower
I take Boorman to ko Maraschino.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #424
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Hey Combateo how's it going my man? You still slugging it out in this thread? Thought i read somewhere you'd got banned or something - good to see you're still punching

PS you say a great big fighter beats a small great fighter (??) but I think in this case we are talking about an absolutely superlative elite legendary (something altogether different) small fighter with freakish power and strength of his own versus a godawful big boxer who just happened to have collossul power which got him out of a hole a lot of the time when his amateurish limitedness was making him look a bit clueless against people who in hindsight you would've imagine he would've dominated - that's the difference
Because Rocky himself was such a polished ,skillful boxer.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #425
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
It is that simple ... styles make fights. It does not matter about how Foreman lost to Ali or Young or that how a few here swear Rocky was super human ( while rationalizing his opposition) with the greatest chin, power, strength and stamina of all time .. Foreman is a terrible match up for Marciano and would wreck him.
It's what Frazier said about him ,"he's too big and too strong".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #426
ForemanJab
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 180

It would be the same as the Frazier fight. No short swarmer could beat Foreman.
ForemanJab is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #427
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Not a thread that should have extended 30 pages
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #428
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Not a thread that should have extended 30 pages
The thread lasted longer than the fight would have.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #429
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

much longer.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #430
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The thread lasted longer than the fight would have.
The time it took for the author to POST the thread was longer than the fight would have lasted.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #431
heavy_handss
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano would be brave but he would get stopped by a Man WHO was made in order to beat rockys...
heavy_handss is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #432
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
George would be a nightmare for Rocky. Foreman would hit Marciano too hard and often in the early going,which would force a stoppage before round 5. Rocky's best hope would be to last until the first half of the fight is over,but he'd be hurt too often for it to reach that stage.
I see it that way too Stevie....Foreman is the one fighter...maybe Lewis is another...that I cannot envision Rocky beating.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #433
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Marciano would bull inside, using his tricky, underrated defense and KO Foreman with a single shot.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 AM   #434
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

foreman fought like a god damn ape. whirling big heavy shots all over the place with his chin in the air. it worked on frazier beacuse joe had nothing left and was fighting the first puncher since the shelling he took beating ALI. it worked on norton because george hit him first.

who else did george beat (in the two era's he fought in) of note? where are victims of the calibre of old joe louis, walcott, charles and moore? he did not fight liston, paterson, bonavena, quarry or even shavers did he? second time around he did not fight holmes, lenox, ruddock or bruno did he? Ask not who he beat but who he SHOULD have beat before deciding who he might beat in another era.

Marciano exhausted the only era he fought in.

Now, foremans legacy is great beause his second career redeemed him somewhat. he was never actualy considered great in his own time. there was always beter fighters.

I dont know who started it but marciano is not joe frazier.

Frazier before TFOTC was a great fighter but his greatness and punch resistance was greatly REDUCED after that fight. George hurt this weakened version of frazier early and it still took him many knockdowns to chop him down entirely.

It is my beleif that the first shot that hurt frazier would not have hurt him so much in his prime, he may have even seen the round out without going down. frazier pre FOTC would have fired back and made an impresion on george, so would marciano and any other ATG on top of his game.

All the effort george put into hurting a shot frazier would have cost him dearly against marciano or any other great fighter on the top of his game if he wasnt making that kind of impresion. ali exposed this when he beat foreman and he wasnt even near the guy he was in the 1960's,not by a long chalk.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #435
Berlenbach
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Who were the Foreman-sized heavyweights that Marciano beat, and the Foreman level punchers that he survived?

Rocky was going life and death with the shopworn sub-200lb heavies of his era who were at the end of long, tough careers. Walcott and Louis were in their last fights, and Charles never contended for anything again. Walcott dropped him and had him badly hurt in the 11th. Moore had him down. Charles had him on the brink of a stoppage. An ancient Louis with nothing but a jab busted him up. Even Keene Simmons (who?) had him hurt.

There was a way to beat Foreman, but Rocky's way is not the way. A small squat aggressive fighter who wasn't exactly Willie Pep when it came to defence, is somehow going to overpower much larger more powerful fighter in his prime, going toe to to with him, when he has no track record for doing such a thing? He's not going to out-tough and out-manoeuvre Foreman on the ropes like Ali (a one-off all-time performance that I don't think Ali could have replicated), and he won't out-box him like Jimmy Young did. Sorry, I don't see it.

Foreman by early KO.
Berlenbach is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum