Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #46
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: George Foreman Vs Rocky Maricano

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman jim View Post
For me the big question mark is whether or not Rocky could survive Foreman's power. If George connects with any degree of regularity could Rocky take it? Prime Foreman would be the hardest puncher Marciano ever faced. The one rap against Rocky is that he never met a puncher in his own league. Well Foreman would be that puncher and then some and that could be trouble. Foreman would have a considerable size advantage and that includes reach. Rocky has to get by it and land his own and when George wasn't tired he had a granite chin. Rocky has to drag George into deep water and let his superior stamina see him through. If he does this then I think he wins. If he can't then he gets bombed outta there in a few short rounds.
In a nutshell. I also think it's possible Rocky could have a chance if he can find a way to get close enough to work the body. But if not, goodnight.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 AM   #47
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
In a nutshell. I also think it's possible Rocky could have a chance if he can find a way to get close enough to work the body. But if not, goodnight.
its not even a contest.foreman would crush the rock
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #48
choklab
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
The one rap against Rocky is that he never met a puncher in his own league..
If marciano had been born the same fighter but without a punch he would still be tough enough to survive- just like peralta. But he did punch - and with both hands! so this match up is a tough, tough fight for george.
walcott was a dynamite puncher capable of icing guys who didnt get KO'd just ask charles and johnson.
Charles himself was hitting very hard at that time check out the wallace and satterfeild wins.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #49
choklab
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The one rap against Rocky is that he never met a puncher in his own league..

If marciano had been born the same fighter but without a punch he would still be tough enough to survive- just like peralta. But he did punch - and with both hands! so this match up is a tough, tough fight for george.
walcott was a dynamite puncher capable of icing guys who didnt get KO'd just ask charles and johnson.
Charles himself was hitting very hard at that time check out the wallace and satterfeild wins.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #50
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

walcott could bang but he wasn't in liston or foremans league.the only (ex) big hitter rocky faced was an old and washed up joe louis.old joe only had his jab and marked rocky up with it.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #51
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
its not even a contest.foreman would crush the rock
I should've boldened the "if" part of the sentence. Rocky pulling the monumental upset is possible, but you're right, not likely. Foreman would be impossible for the Rock to get to.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #52
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
I should've boldened the "if" part of the sentence. Rocky pulling the monumental upset is possible, but you're right, not likely. Foreman would be impossible for the Rock to get to.
Well peralta for one got to George and definately got his attention quite a few times too. Are we saying peralta was more capable in that respect then?? The legendary offensive machine that was peralta? Marciano didn't fight dumb like Frazier and chuvalo - foreman would be the one having trouble finding rock at all - much better and much more seasoned fighters had trouble landing more than 2 or 3 effective big shots on him at a time
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #53
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Foreman was easier to hit than Marciano. He took a punch well though, but I think he's going to get hit as much as Rocky, or more. Both guys pretty much keep punching until the other man drops.

It's not a mismatch at all. Just because Foreman beat Frazier seemingly easily doesn't mean he'd do the same with Marciano.
Some of the little third-raters George beat seemed to do better than Frazier, so it means nothing. Anything could happen.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #54
pacpowerpellet
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
You mean the Foreman who KO'd shopworn Joe Frazier in 1973...the Foreman that ran out of gas and was KO'd by the light hitting and past his prime Ali...in one of the dumbest fights I've ever seen a fighter fight...the Foreman who was floored by the light punching Jimmy Young...and Marciano doesn't have a chnace? Don't compare Big George's performance against a Frazier that was never the same after the FOTC in 1971...Marciano was a never say die fighter who gave you everything he had for 3 minutes of every round...if this is a question of conditioning and stamina.....well then...The Rock has a very good chance...
your mother should of swallowed you.
pacpowerpellet is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #55
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not certain if Rocky can take direct punches from Foreman. but one thing is certain, if Rocky wants to survive he must fight defensivly, stay inside. dont let Foreman exyend those long pwerful arms.. & pound the body at every oportunity. The key element everyone must remember is that early George Foreman had the worst stamina ever! If the fight goes into the seventh. Foreman will be majorky gassed. His wide looping punches will be easier to avoid, & George will be getting tagged alot more easier. Of course all this is under the premise that Rocky can avoid getting caught cleanly...
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #56
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Foreman and marciano are both ATG's. how can a matchup between ATG's ever be a mismatch?

Rocky is sold far too short here. Foreman had huge power but it hindered him in that he did not develop as well rounded or as seasoned as he should have been. His stamina did not develop as it should have. When george got to the title he was not the finished article. This is how he was exposed by a 32 year old ALI fighting outside of his era. george was green but when picking peak george we must pick the george with his best wins - when he was green! This was the george who had nothing to draw upon when plan A did not work. Ali fought him on the ropes. He knocked out george at close range where marciano would fight him.

So many posters on here give the one eyed middleweight harry greb a chance at ATG heavyweights for his smothering, exhausting presure. Marciano was all this but with two handed power! why should he be easy pickings for foreman?

Its not an easy fight for george and its not an easy fight for marciano.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #57
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Marciano has a better shot than people are giving him credit for too. He was one of the hardest punchers of all time, may crouch below Foreman's comfort level, and WILL land bombs without a doubt.

Foreman needs to clinch and push Rocky back. He needs to use his strength to wear Rocky down, but at the same time he needs to put in work because Rocky WILL put work in.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #58
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Frazier and Marciano are 2 different fighters...Marciano had a right as well as a left and came back hard when hit and Marciano was never hurt in a fight, Frazier was. The only so-called puncher I saw the young Foreman fight was Lyle and if you look close at Lyle's career you would know he was not in Marciano's class as a puncher.

Foreman would present a problem but Marciano would as well and he is highly underrated here...Foreman had better get to Marciano early because Marciano would get stronger as the fight goes on and if I judge from the Lyle Fight Foreman could also be hurt early.

This fight is a case of a powerful inside killer puncher that could take you out vs a wide swinging monster.....Hard fight to bet on but I would not bet against Marciano.... don't sell Marciano short here
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #59
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Frazier and Marciano are 2 different fighters...Marciano had a right as well as a left and came back hard when hit and Marciano was never hurt in a fight, Frazier was. The only so-called puncher I saw the young Foreman fight was Lyle and if you look close at Lyle's career you would know he was not in Marciano's class as a puncher.

Foreman would present a problem but Marciano would as well and he is highly underrated here...Foreman had better get to Marciano early because Marciano would get stronger as the fight goes on and if I judge from the Lyle Fight Foreman could also be hurt early.

This fight is a case of a powerful inside killer puncher that could take you out vs a wide swinging monster.....Hard fight to bet on but I would not bet against Marciano.... don't sell Marciano short here
Not to mention, Foreman has very porous defense, and he punches at a range that Rocky is typically below. Foreman, leaving his hands down will be a major liability because Rocky comes up with bombs, many of them counters.

But Foreman is very tough, and very strong.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #60
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa View Post
Not certain if Rocky can take direct punches from Foreman. but one thing is certain, if Rocky wants to survive he must fight defensivly, stay inside. dont let Foreman exyend those long pwerful arms.. & pound the body at every oportunity. The key element everyone must remember is that early George Foreman had the worst stamina ever! If the fight goes into the seventh. Foreman will be majorky gassed. His wide looping punches will be easier to avoid, & George will be getting tagged alot more easier. Of course all this is under the premise that Rocky can avoid getting caught cleanly...
Yes indeed, that is the "if" I meant earlier. Rocky would need to turn into a defensive-minded boxer in this one. He could then revert to his old self once he got past the jackhammers and close enough to work the body.
laxpdx is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum