Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #46
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275
Default Re: Prince Hamad named British G.O.A.T. - Josey you'll hate this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Is it school holidays in Australia?
Sure is.
Sums it up really.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #47
waynesworld

vCash: 500

Kegsy

it sounds like your a fighter yourself how much fight have you had
waynesworld is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #48
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
Kegsy

it sounds like your a fighter yourself how much fight have you had
I train regularly...do sparring often etc. but no i dont have any record amateur or pro mate.
Longtime fan of boxing...close family members of mine boxed amateur overseas in Europe. Distant relative boxed pro in Slovenia.
Just dont understand how anyone could call Hamad the greatest fighter ever when you have to consider many 100's of fighters with a greater skillset & record to back it up.
How do you feel Hamad stands up against the best like a Sugar Ray Robinson....or better yet more modern day legends Roberto Duran & Sugar Ray Leonard.
Its a joke to even have Hamad in the same argument.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #49
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I think they were suggesting GOAT in Britain, not out and out GOAT.

He had a short peak of a couple of years , in my opinion he was on the downward turn after winning the title. He was sensational at his best, he still beat every world champion at featherweight. The WBA champ was stripped for facing him, otherwise he would have unified. Not many better in the UK history.

And as i said earlier whoever suggested McGuigan was better is off their head. I say that as a huge fan of Barry.
riggers is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #50
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Hamed is no doubt a greater fighter than McGuigan. I actually think Hamed is underrated by many, but he's not close to being England's best ever.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #51
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Who would you have above him Ipswich and why ?

I have Lewis, Honeyghan and Conteh off the top of my head. Maybe Calzaghe not sure, if Naz was 168 ( not in the condition he is in now ) i can imagine him beating Joe.

TBH he is not a right off against any Brit P4P and head to head
riggers is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #52
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hamed is definitely up there in the debate amongst the greatest British fighters ever alongside the likes of Lennox Lewis, John Conteh, Lloyd Honeyghan, Ken Buchanan, Ted the Kid Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Eubanks, Benn. McGuigan should not and cannot be mentioned in this company. Hamed fought the best araound and did not chicken out by facing the likes of Tom Boom Boom Johnson and the legendary Marco Antonio Barrera at his peak. McGuigan bottled it and studiously avoided Azumah Nelson. Honeyghan fought the great Don Curry, Blocker and got destroyed by the excellent Marlon Starling but get credit for fighting the best beating the best and losing to the best ditto Benn, Hamed etc. How McGuigan got into the hall of fame defies reasons unless it was for commentating.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #53
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggers View Post

I have Lewis, Honeyghan and Conteh off the top of my head. Maybe Calzaghe not sure, if Naz was 168 ( not in the condition he is in now ) i can imagine him beating Joe.

Even against Bob Fitzsimmons mate? I'd have a number ahead of him, I'll list that when I've time (off to work now). I was a big Hamed fan back in the day. Awesome power for a Featherweight.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #54
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Steve your 2nd paragraph says a lot about your knowledge and insight into our great sports. Your post has made my XMAS. The guys you mention were true great of British boxing Conteh, Lewis, Honeyghan and Calzaghe. Not a Calzxaghe fan but he was a great fighter as shown by his record and achievements.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #55
punk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
He fought loads of blokes 'at the right time', but when he fought one who was in his prime, booya, shown up for what he was.

Seriously, imagine what the Fab Four (Barerra, Morales, Pac and JMM) would have ended up doing to him if he continued? He wanted 3/8th's of **** all to do with a career after the Barerra fight.

I watched a doco on him "Little Prince - Big Fight" made in the lead-up to the Barerra fight and he was more worried about his haircut's than training. Training was terrible and it quoted in the doco as saying that he only had sparring three (3) weeks out from the fight!

You can dance, somersault, flash 10minute ring entrances, whatever, it don't mean shit when your all by yourself in the ring with someone just as much, if not more talented, but with truck loads more heart, fire and determination.

Personally, Naz lacked all three of those attributes in spades.

Naz was comic value and Frank ****** the genius capitalised on it and made Naz millions out of it. Full stop.
He done well to go 12 rounds with the great barrera with only 3 weeks sparring. Naz gets slated for that fight, of course he lost but it was in no way a beatdown. A very bad performance but not many fighters could go in with a fighter of that calibre with very little preperation. I just wish he done himself justice and prepared properly for the fight, if he did we might have just seen a classic.
punk is online now  Top
Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #56
Mr T.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I wouldnt say he was the goat. I'd rate lewis and few others above him, however he was a great fighter to watch and beat some of the best and jumped up in weights as well.

Naz lost the desire to fight as u can see in the barrera fight. He had made millions of and didnt need money. His brother started promoting him, switched trainers to oscar suarez i think, didnt bother putting time in gym etc. Thats where he went wrong.

Brendan ingle his trainer also wrote a book at same time slagging him off, that didnt go down too well either. If he had stuck with ingle or stweard, put time in gym and sparring, he would have been a legend and would have k/o easily some of the people on the list. He also put bums on seats. He was a promoters dream..
Mr T. is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #57
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk View Post
He done well to go 12 rounds with the great barrera with only 3 weeks sparring. Naz gets slated for that fight, of course he lost but it was in no way a beatdown. A very bad performance but not many fighters could go in with a fighter of that calibre with very little preperation. I just wish he done himself justice and prepared properly for the fight, if he did we might have just seen a classic.
His choice to only spar for three weeks Punk. It certainly seemed on that doco that Naz was running the show and just doing as he pleases.

Three weeks to prepare for what was the biggest fight of his career was just plain stupid thinking. Barrera is a legend for his ring exploits, Naz is remembered more for ring-entrances and outside the ring activities.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #58
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
His choice to only spar for three weeks Punk. It certainly seemed on that doco that Naz was running the show and just doing as he pleases.

Three weeks to prepare for what was the biggest fight of his career was just plain stupid thinking. Barrera is a legend for his ring exploits, Naz is remembered more for ring-entrances and outside the ring activities.
If Naz is remembered more for his entrances than his fights, you did not watch enough oof his fights. Everyone talks about the Barrera fight. That was not his career. He had some great fights against Bungu, Kelley, Medina, JOhnson, VAsquez and many more. He was way more than the fella against Barrera.
riggers is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #59
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Quote:
I

If Naz is remembered more for his entrances than his fights, you did not watch enough oof his fights. Everyone talks about the Barrera fight. That was not his career. He had some great fights against Bungu, Kelley, Medina, JOhnson, VAsquez and many more. He was way more than the fella against Barrera.
There were many more than the Barrera fight but that unfortunately (to me) that is the defining moment of his career.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #60
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The only real thing special about Hamed was his incredible power,he was arguably among the hardest hitting Feathers of all time.All the other stuff the posing and posturing was just a sideshow and when he moved up in class was detrimental to him.His was often off balance and this was exposed by Kelley and Barrera. Barrera showed what a proper top notch well schooled fighter does to one who isn't. I hated the way he mocked his opponents it was totally unnecesary and just made him look a prick. I believe he's a top 20 British ATG but not top 10
ron u.k. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum