Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 75
Default Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

I asked this question only because my dad used to tell me how he boxed at school and everyone would have to do it as part of sport.

My old man almost 70yrs and i think it's been 50yrs or more since it was stopped in most schools due to whatever reasons.

Therefore, were Australian man more rounded and better prepared fighters/boxers 60yrs ago than todays ****** Bieber lookalikes??
kel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
I asked this question only because my dad used to tell me how he boxed at school and everyone would have to do it as part of sport.

My old man almost 70yrs and i think it's been 50yrs or more since it was stopped in most schools due to whatever reasons.

Therefore, were Australian man more rounded and better prepared fighters/boxers 60yrs ago than todays ****** Bieber lookalikes??

There's little question Kel, and just as an example:

Admittedly I'm an old prick. But when I went to tech school (boys only) years ago, we had a boxing ring, and it got plenty of use.

People who went to the same school earlier assure me that in the 'old days' when students were caught arguing or fighting they'd be handed a pair of gloves by a teacher, and the matter would be resolved between the ropes.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

I'd say yes. Look at how easy we've got it compared to back then. Everything is at our finger tips. We are lazy, pampered, pussies compared to guys 60 years ago.

People wonder why there are massive obesity problems these days and why it's on the rise. How about it's because you spend your whole life at a desk (generally) and everything is brought to you on a platter. They blame eating shit and unhealthy diets but it wasn't THAT much worse back then, considering what we 'know' about food etc now. It's all lifestyle - they were hard cunts, we are marshmallows.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Gorilla Arms
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

"Therefore, were Australian man more rounded and better prepared fighters/boxers 60yrs ago than todays ****** Bieber lookalikes??"

simple answer is no

better fighters/boxers are determined by thier class, thier surroundings and thier guts to step up and enter the world of one on one with rules

60 years ago so what

there are probably more schoolyard fights in this era than there were in your old mans take a look at yuotube if you want some proof
Gorilla Arms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Arms View Post
"Therefore, were Australian man more rounded and better prepared fighters/boxers 60yrs ago than todays ****** Bieber lookalikes??"

simple answer is no

better fighters/boxers are determined by thier class, thier surroundings and thier guts to step up and enter the world of one on one with rules

60 years ago so what

there are probably more schoolyard fights in this era than there were in your old mans take a look at yuotube if you want some proof

In the old days, issues were solved by fair-and-square one-on-one punch-ups involving only fists - and often finished with a beer afterwards.

These days it's 3 onto one, and more often than not includes, knives, swords, drivebys with guns or bloody race-wars!

Which scenario do you think prepares guys better for boxing?
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Gorilla Arms
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

as i said youtube is flooded with one on ones sorted out in the schoolyard, carparks, parks and the list goes on

i doubt there would have been half as many fights as compared to today 60 years ago

simple fact
Gorilla Arms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Gorilla Arms
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

"In the old days, issues were solved by fair-and-square one-on-one punch-ups involving only fists - and often finished with a beer afterwards."

the example by kel was given in the schoolyard sorted out in the ring

my reply is with the theme of the thread and related directly to kels comments

your taking this somewhere else, stick with the jist of the thread

the drinking age was 21 60 years ago and it was strict no school children were beating the shit out of each other then hugging while downing schooners in the canteen

what planet are you on
Gorilla Arms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
"DJ"
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 174
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Arms View Post
as i said youtube is flooded with one on ones sorted out in the schoolyard, carparks, parks and the list goes on

i doubt there would have been half as many fights as compared to today 60 years ago

simple fact
Just because its on youtube doesnt make it more prevelant.. it just mean there are more platforms for people to be AWARE that its happening...

quite obviously, youtube wasnt available back then so your argument, to be frank, it terrible.

Oh, and what you offered above is OPINION, not FACT
"DJ" is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Gorilla Arms
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

there are many examples other than youtube to support that schoolyard fighting is more prevalent now than 60 years ago

keep in mind teachers have little or no power to intervene when students are engaging in a fight

this coupled with zero effective discipline metered out by the school encourages more than discourages students from getting into physical altercations

60 yeras ago students standing outside of a principles office were doing so in puddles of thier own piss while hearing the crack of the cane on the other offenders backside

do you think this happens today as a deterent
Gorilla Arms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Fighters 60 years ago were better- they WERE fighters.


A lot of todays so called champions would have been kicked out of the gym for taking up floor space 60 years ago.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
perko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

60 years ago , that would be 1950 , australia is full of ex ww2 servicemen and waves of new australians fleeing war ravenged europe have started coming , 99 out of every 100 blokes are fit versus todays aussies of which 99 out of 100 are overweight and no bastard fights today unless hes got a rugby league team full of mates backing him up . i'd back the 50s fellas anyday .
perko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liechhardt View Post
Fighters 60 years ago were better- they WERE fighters.


A lot of todays so called champions would have been kicked out of the gym for taking up floor space 60 years ago.
This
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

for sure, alot more people were fighting because there was alot less money around and les sports.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #14
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perko View Post
60 years ago , that would be 1950 , australia is full of ex ww2 servicemen and waves of new australians fleeing war ravenged europe have started coming , 99 out of every 100 blokes are fit versus todays aussies of which 99 out of 100 are overweight and no bastard fights today unless hes got a rugby league team full of mates backing him up . i'd back the 50s fellas anyday .
And this

FFS these days i see young men fight outside pubs and they ain't a ****ing clue how to fight with their fists , yea any stupid cunt can run for the Uzzie and "spray and pray " but ffs i was watching a scrap outside a local boozer here two weeks ago and if it was a fight until the death these pair of cunts would still be fighting until Easter ( that's a religious period for us if any of our ethnic brethren are left wondering ) .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mundine's undercard
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Were Australian's better fighters 60yrs ago?

Merry xmas everyone. Just remember....

Drink drive.. Bloody idiot!!

Opposingly.............

Maaaaate.. Jump into my FUUUULLLLY SIIIIIIKKKK VL COMMODORE TURBO wif da 3 1/2 system that makes tha doof even doofier.. SIIIK HUH!! UNBELEAFABLE HUH!! MAATE, I GET A DUMB **** LIKE GARILLA ARMS.. Hey, we go and chase tha chicks!!

cough!! Gorilla Armpits, you're seriously intoxicating your cabbaged skull via snail pelleted scriptures.

Shut up. Lift the bonnet. Slam it onto the back of your 'already' depressed cranium. Repeat the same step to ensure bonnet was initially lifted. Repeat as followed.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013