Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 1000
Default Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

I know it's been discussed in it parts in the past, but what's the story these days why we aren't chasing the Comm. title any longer?

I know Vea has one and Baby Pete Mitresvski contested one a while back, but geez I still think it's a great progression step for our fighters, plus exposes them to some excellent competition pre-being thrown into the deep end of world fights.

The Poms still rate the belt very highly so our any of our boys could get a good shot for some decent money and also on UK tv which will help with their careers I would have thought?

I can think of numerous talents we have in Australia through our divisions that would be more than up to the required standard of winning a Comm. title.

I remember speaking to Ray Wheatley about the Comm. title and he stated that winning one would only benefit a fighters rating with the IBF so I could only assume it at least wouldn't hinder with other sanctioning bodies also.

It just seem's we jump too quickly into 'Interim' or vacant Asia-Pacific / Africa / Oriental / Pan-Pacific titles with any of the sanctioning bodies without giving serious thought to campaigning for a Comm. title and seeing this as part of the progression path.

Any thoughts guy's?
Contendo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

I know the Commonwealth Title also helps your WBC ranking as well.

I totally agree Contendo if more of our guys fought for it, it would definitely sort the contenders & pretenders out.
Most of guys sit on their records in Australia for a little too long against inferior opposition.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
I know the Commonwealth Title also helps your WBC ranking as well.

I totally agree Contendo if more of our guys fought for it, it would definitely sort the contenders & pretenders out.
Most of guys sit on their records in Australia for a little too long against inferior opposition.
That's good to hear Keg's about the WBC ruling also.

I had this discussion just last week with one of Australia's biggest promoters and he agreed, far too many Australian fighters just sit on their records because of the farcical situation the sanctioning bodies have created with their world ranking and they won't progress themselves as fighters for fear of losing their rating.

I can understand the thought process, but as a progression perspective for them as a fighter, their going nowhere. Contesting something like the Comm. title will allow them some solid progression against a better class of fighter, albeit, not the very elite so it's good for where their careers are at.

I also think from a credability perspective, I'd rather call myself the Comm. champion as oppossed to the Asia-Pacific/African/Oriental or Pan-Pacific/Paba title holder (worse if it's only for the Interim version!) and it would come across better on Australian tv and with the fans, in turn only enhancing the fighters overall worth.
Contendo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mundine's undercard
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

With so many governing bodies offering 'easier' doorways into world rankings, why would any trainer seek a Commonwealth title, especially when it makes life no easier.

Gimme a Commonwealth title over any IBO, IBA, IBC, IBU or WBU, WBF, WBA, WBF world titles.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Barrera_fan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 466
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
I know the Commonwealth Title also helps your WBC ranking as well.

I totally agree Contendo if more of our guys fought for it, it would definitely sort the contenders & pretenders out.
Most of guys sit on their records in Australia for a little too long against inferior opposition.
And after fighting inferior opposition expect to jump straight into a world title instead of getting experience against gatekeeper type opposition that would help them when they have to dig deep against the world title holders. Having for example an 'impressive' record of 20-0 when you've only fought tomato cans isn't gonna help when facing the best.
Barrera_fan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera_fan View Post

And after fighting inferior opposition expect to jump straight into a world title instead of getting experience against gatekeeper type opposition that would help them when they have to dig deep against the world title holders. Having for example an 'impressive' record of 20-0 when you've only fought tomato cans isn't gonna help when facing the best.
This man speak the truth!
Contendo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,608
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

What happened to the boxing ashes thing that Taylor V Junior were fighting to get in the team they were mentioning Com titles in that, was it all just more aus boxing bullshit all talk no action.
shanemfr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
Barrera_fan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 466
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemfr View Post
What happened to the boxing ashes thing that Taylor V Junior were fighting to get in the team they were mentioning Com titles in that, was it all just more aus boxing bullshit all talk no action.
Was thinking the same thing myself, was there ever any official announcement about this though ?
Barrera_fan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,608
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera_fan View Post
Was thinking the same thing myself, was there ever any official announcement about this though ?
Don't think there was , from memory was suppose to run in conjunction with the cricket so the pommie fans would go along, but i'm thinkin was more bullshit we were fed.
shanemfr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera_fan View Post
And after fighting inferior opposition expect to jump straight into a world title instead of getting experience against gatekeeper type opposition that would help them when they have to dig deep against the world title holders. Having for example an 'impressive' record of 20-0 when you've only fought tomato cans isn't gonna help when facing the best.
Exactly.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

No it wasn't bullshit fella's.

I know the Grange boys very well and it was defitnitely intended but after their Oct. show, it was moved sideways as that show took a hell of a lot out of them effort wise and to back up over the Christmas holiday period with another show on a big scale was decided against.
Contendo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
No it wasn't bullshit fella's.

I know the Grange boys very well and it was defitnitely intended but after their Oct. show, it was moved sideways as that show took a hell of a lot out of them effort wise and to back up over the Christmas holiday period with another show on a big scale was decided against.
Yeah fair enough hard to blame them as they are 1 of the very few promoters in Australia at the moment interested in putting on quality cards top to bottom with world class opponents coming to Australia.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
That's good to hear Keg's about the WBC ruling also.

I had this discussion just last week with one of Australia's biggest promoters and he agreed, far too many Australian fighters just sit on their records because of the farcical situation the sanctioning bodies have created with their world ranking and they won't progress themselves as fighters for fear of losing their rating.

I can understand the thought process, but as a progression perspective for them as a fighter, their going nowhere. Contesting something like the Comm. title will allow them some solid progression against a better class of fighter, albeit, not the very elite so it's good for where their careers are at.

I also think from a credability perspective, I'd rather call myself the Comm. champion as oppossed to the Asia-Pacific/African/Oriental or Pan-Pacific/Paba title holder (worse if it's only for the Interim version!) and it would come across better on Australian tv and with the fans, in turn only enhancing the fighters overall worth.
Most fighters take the Pan-Pacific etc. route because to win it is alot easier than a Commonwealth & they will then get a top 15 ranking by paying their "sanctioning fees".
Like all you boys said they will have their 20-0 records vs tomato cans & be ranked number 8 by 1 of the 4 sanctioning bodies without facing anyone close to gatekeeper level.
Unless the system changes i cant see it ever getting better...possibly worse.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #14
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
With so many governing bodies offering 'easier' doorways into world rankings, why would any trainer seek a Commonwealth title, especially when it makes life no easier.

Gimme a Commonwealth title over any IBO, IBA, IBC, IBU or WBU, WBF, WBA, WBF world titles.
Can't argue with this...
Contendo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulldogs v Titans 2013 GF
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 2611
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

The boxing ashes event would probably have gone longer than the cricket itself
teke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013