Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 AM   #16
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why aren't we chasing Comm. titles any longer?

As I've mentioned on here, one prominent UK Promoter is sick of having the Poms defend against African boxers who are far cheaper than Aussie fighters are. So hopefully that'll lead to more Aussies getting Comm title shots. At the end of the day, there are no mandatory contenders in the Comm rankings, so it's hard to get a shot.

It's not too often that the best Aussie fighters from a division are sought out as opponents, that's a fact. The last two that I could think of off the top of my head would be Nedal Hussein and Kali Meehan. Hopefully more Aussies get a shot, but it's not like it shoots you up the rankings. Check the WBC's rankings and where they put the majority of the Commonwealth champions.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #17
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
As I've mentioned on here, one prominent UK Promoter is sick of having the Poms defend against African boxers who are far cheaper than Aussie fighters are. So hopefully that'll lead to more Aussies getting Comm title shots. At the end of the day, there are no mandatory contenders in the Comm rankings, so it's hard to get a shot.

It's not too often that the best Aussie fighters from a division are sought out as opponents, that's a fact. The last two that I could think of off the top of my head would be Nedal Hussein and Kali Meehan. Hopefully more Aussies get a shot, but it's not like it shoots you up the rankings. Check the WBC's rankings and where they put the majority of the Commonwealth champions.

Understand Ippy and I heard the same directly from a UK promoter also.

I also wasn't saying that the Comm. title was a road to riches perspective when it comes to increasing your ratings, but I am adamant that it's an excellent progression step to your career as oppossed to an instant Top 15 rating coming off a weak win for a regional belt, generally against an out-classed Asian fighter.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #18
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Absolutely, and wouldn't disagree at all. I think a fair whack could be made by getting a Comm belt and defending it successfully.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #19
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Tend to agree mate....it's loads cheaper to put on an Asia Pacific title or the like and with the bonus of a top 15 ranking why would you look at the comm title
ashley is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #20
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Absolutely, and wouldn't disagree at all. I think a fair whack could be made by getting a Comm belt and defending it successfully.
You make a good point there Ippy.

I'm only using Billy Dib as an example here, but if he was to contest for the Comm. title, the current champ Stephen Smith is signed to Frank ****** off memory (and someone like Frank has loads of fighters around the FW or Sup. F/W class), hence he may take slightly lower money for the challenge, but based on getting good money if successful for a two or three defence type deal whereby Frank can pit other fighters against him?

I'm sure other UK promoters would be open to a 'deal', hence getting them away from the African fighter perspective, much the same as our Aussie promoters not wanting Asian fighters, it's however whether the fighter will take the 'risk' option upfront.

Dib, Fleming, Bolling, Medley, there's loads of Australian talent who would more than stack up for an opportunity.

Last edited by Contendo; 12-26-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #21
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Defending a Comm title is lucrative.. $50,000, depending on the fighter..
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 AM   #22
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
Defending a Comm title is lucrative.. $50,000, depending on the fighter..

All the more reason Bobby to seriously look taking 'unders' for the right opportunity in order to make good coin as a champion.

$50k is much better money than a fighter would get defending those regional belts I would safely say.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #23
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
All the more reason Bobby to seriously look taking 'unders' for the right opportunity in order to make good coin as a champion.

$50k is much better money than a fighter would get defending those regional belts I would safely say.

$50K was the monies paid to an Aussie, based in London, in his first Comm title defense.. so, yeah it's not bad cash at all.

Depending on the popularity of the fighter, the SSSS could be on par or increased. I wonder how much you'd recieve in defense of a WBF Youth Aisan InterFederLatino African Panhead title?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #24
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Depends on which WBF it was.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #25
JOE COOL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

50k Bobie must of been a while ago?
JOE COOL is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #26
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Last 10 years JC.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
badlefthook84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Geale v Darren Barker would of been a brillant fight when Barker was Commonwealth champion, wouldn't be at all surprised to see them fight each other for a world title in the future.
badlefthook84 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #28
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

The commonwealth title is still a decent title to have it's just a pity Aussie fighters left it to follow "bigger things " I remember a few years back suggesting Mundine fight Carl Froch for Carls commonwealth title but was told in no uncertain terms that Choc had " bigger fish to fry " lol remember that TEKE ?
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #29
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

i guess they can win the other regional belts fairly easy, little risk.

but with the way the european boxing scene has been going, it could pay well to go to the uk for a comm title bout. there seems to be some good opportunities over there now.
buster007 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #30
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Theres some good commonwealth title fights that could be made.

A Frank ****** card with 7 brits vs 7 australians could be good, (obviously not all could be for commonwealth titles)
Earl-hickey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum