Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Charley Burley - Convince Me Of His Genius

Now before a collective mob castrates me, hear me out.

I'm not saying he isn't a blatantly great fighter. But I want to hear some strong arguments for his case.

To be honest, footage of him is lacking, something some are harsh on a fighter for.

Another facet, his greatness seems to be partially word of mouth from very respected, more "cemented" greats like Archie Moore.

Currently watching the analyzing genius video on youtube about Burley as well. Here's a link for anyone who hasn't seen it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4[/ame]
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Charley Burley - Convince Me Of His Genius

Also, what was up with Burley's two losses to Ezzard Charles?

Now Ezzard Charles is a consensus top 20, top 15 ATG great in many peoples opinions, or so I've seen. So its no knock against Burley really. But why did he lose to Ezzard consistently like that and seemingly struggle with some lesser competition?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

I'd say Ezzard is top ten for a lot of people
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Now Ezzard Charles is a consensus top 20, top 15 ATG great in many peoples opinions, or so I've seen. So its no knock against Burley really. But why did he lose to Ezzard consistently like that and seemingly struggle with some lesser competition?
Because he fought everyone in 1 of the best eras ever and gave up around 8lbs to an ATG in Charles (if memory serves me right). Despite being a natural WW he beat the crap out of nearly every MW in maybe the greatest era and had amazing skills
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

I rank Charles higher than Burley. Becuse of his two wins over him. Both are top 10 worthy.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...

Last edited by ecto55; 06-10-2011 at 02:35 AM.
ecto55 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
I've read Rosenfeld's book on Burley, and Harry Otty's book is in the mail as we speak...but I'm already firmly convinced that Burley was all that he was cracked up to be. The Rosenfeld book was sadly light on details when it came to Burley fights, and the Ezzard Chalres fight was also the case, mabye the Otty book doesn't make the same mistake...

However, 'In the Corner' has a great anecdote of one of those famous Stillman's trainers (either Brown, Arcel, Bimstein or Dundee) finding out that one of his fighters had been matched with Burley. Such was Burley's 'legend' even then that the sole aim of the trainer was to get his man through the fight physically intact- winning the fight never even came into it. The fighter basically shadow boxed his way through the fight, stunk the venue out but came through unscathed..Burley didn't press the action when he saw the guy conceding every round. I think it was Whitey Bimstein who was the cornerman, anyway- it speaks volumes about the high regard and trepidation with which the fight game held Burley in.

Losing to Ezzard Charles is no shame- could have been a style, size or any other kind of 'thing'.
Similary, Archie Moore who was closer to Ezzard's size than Burley lost to Ezzard 3-0, few sane people doubt Archie's abilities, although by sticking around into the TV era the Ageless One gives the cynics more 'evidence' and tangible accomplishments.
Also, reports apperently exist that claim Burley handled Archie with ease on short notice, dropping his three times on the wayto a decision...for me that seems sufficient, along with Archie's own testimony and praise, to see Charley Burley placed in the same bracket in terms of boxing ability.
Savvy 'n well written, e. You're a welcome addition.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...

Last edited by ecto55; 06-10-2011 at 02:35 AM.
ecto55 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
I've read Rosenfeld's book on Burley, and Harry Otty's book is in the mail as we speak...but I'm already firmly convinced that Burley was all that he was cracked up to be. The Rosenfeld book was sadly light on details when it came to Burley fights, and the Ezzard Chalres fight was also the case, mabye the Otty book doesn't make the same mistake...

However, 'In the Corner' has a great anecdote of one of those famous Stillman's trainers (either Brown, Arcel, Bimstein or Dundee) finding out that one of his fighters had been matched with Burley. Such was Burley's 'legend' even then that the sole aim of the trainer was to get his man through the fight physically intact- winning the fight never even came into it. The fighter basically shadow boxed his way through the fight, stunk the venue out but came through unscathed..Burley didn't press the action when he saw the guy conceding every round. I think it was Whitey Bimstein who was the cornerman, anyway- it speaks volumes about the high regard and trepidation with which the fight game held Burley in.

Losing to Ezzard Charles is no shame- could have been a style, size or any other kind of 'thing'.
Similary, Archie Moore who was closer to Ezzard's size than Burley lost to Ezzard 3-0, few sane people doubt Archie's abilities, although by sticking around into the TV era the Ageless One gives the cynics more 'evidence' and tangible accomplishments.
Also, reports apperently exist that claim Burley handled Archie with ease on short notice, dropping his three times on the wayto a decision...for me that seems sufficient, along with Archie's own testimony and praise, to see Charley Burley placed in the same bracket in terms of boxing ability.

Welcome aboard man; we need guys like you here.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=ecto55;8567118]I've read Rosenfeld's book on Burley, and Harry Otty's book is in the mail as we speak...but I'm already firmly convinced that Burley was all that he was cracked up to be. The Rosenfeld book was sadly light on details when it came to Burley fights, and the Ezzard Chalres fight was also the case, mabye the Otty book doesn't make the same mistake...

Reference is to Ray Arcel and Billy Soose
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

From the typewriter of the incomparable Regis M. Welsh
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The man was brilliant it is a shame we don't see fighter's like this now, on the other hand we must remember that we do have a fight and all styles can be effective as Marciano proved.
punchy is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

burley was working, got the notice to fight moore, left his job, caught a bus to the fight, beat moore and then caught the bus home and went to work the next day.

great story.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhlilhaus View Post
burley was working, got the notice to fight moore, left his job, caught a bus to the fight, beat moore and then caught the bus home and went to work the next day.

great story.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhlilhaus View Post

great story.
However... it may be just that -a story.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum