Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
Commando
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nilbog
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Eastman was a nobody. Almost a bum, but not quite.

The best that Eastman could do was a lose an MD to William Joppy. Nothing else is worth mentioning.
Commando is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yeah, he absolutly obliterated the consensus number two middleweight at the time, Joppy, and was a big fav to beat Hopkins. Very good win IMO. Not much worse than Haglerīs win over Hearns, if at all.
Nah, Hearns KO2 the demi God Duran in lead up to Hagler. Plus he was a far greater fighter than Tito anyways.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Nah, Hearns KO2 the demi God Duran in lead up to Hagler. Plus he was a far greater fighter than Tito anyways.
Didnīt happen at mw. Not at mw.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

And? He was still a much, much better fighter than Tito
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #20
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Plus the fact he had two great rounds with Hagler, more than Trinidad had out of 12 with Hopkins goes in his favour too.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #21
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
And? He was still a much, much better fighter than Tito
At ww? For sure. At sww? For sure. At mw? Very debatable.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #22
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Hearns also subsequently proved he wasn't too small for 160. Not even close.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
At ww? For sure. At sww? For sure. At mw? Very debatable.
I disagree. A man who goes out on his shield fighting one of the most ferocious middleweights ever shouldn't be discredited. He won a belt at 160, just like Trinidad. He also won subsequent belts at higher weights, which to me proves that 160 wasn't pushing it for Hearns. Tito lacks such evidence.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #24
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
Hearns also subsequently proved he wasn't too small for 160. Not even close.
Tito did too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
I disagree. A man who goes out on his shield fighting one of the most ferocious middleweights ever shouldn't be discredited. He won a belt at 160, just like Trinidad. He also won subsequent belts at higher weights, which to me proves that 160 wasn't pushing it for Hearns. Tito lacks such evidence.
Who getīs dicredited here? Trinidad beat the second best mw of the time. Not just that, he absolutly steamrolled him. Did Hearns do that? No, he didnīt. I donīt want to discredit Hearns. I want to put Hopkinsī win over Tito in the right perspective.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #25
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,825
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

I have to strongly agree with manbearpig with regard to Hearns>Trinidad at 160 as well as wherever else. I'm really surprised by Bodhi's opposite take on that.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Tito did too.





Who getīs dicredited here? Trinidad beat the second best mw of the time. Not just that, he absolutly steamrolled him. Did Hearns do that? No, he didnīt. I donīt want to discredit Hearns. I want to put Hopkinsī win over Tito in the right perspective.
That embarrassing fight with Roy Jones counts as evidence?
Yes, Tito did this, and credit to him, but it was a weak time for 160. I'd give KO2 Duran more credit since it was after Duran (allegedly) gave Hagler a run for his money.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #27
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I have to strongly agree with manbearpig with regard to Hearns>Trinidad at 160 as well as wherever else. I'm really surprised by Bodhi's opposite take on that.
I have no "opposite take":


Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Tito did too.





Who getīs dicredited here? Trinidad beat the second best mw of the time. Not just that, he absolutly steamrolled him. Did Hearns do that? No, he didnīt. I donīt want to discredit Hearns. I want to put Hopkinsī win over Tito in the right perspective.
IMO those two wins are very comparable.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #28
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,825
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I have no "opposite take":




IMO those two wins are very comparable.

I'm sorry, I think I'm hallucinating.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #29
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 1185
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

They are comparable in that it was two destroyers moving up in weight. Hearns destroying superior fighters on his way up than Trinidad counts for Hearns too I reckon though.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #30
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
This 'at the time' shit is something that you guys should be consistent with, meaning that Hearns was a nobody at 160 at the time he fought Hagler, so all you advocates of this 'at the time' theory, be consistent with it, no double standards please.
Hearns had obliterated Duran and clearly outboxed Benitez at 154, so that has to count for something.

I think the 'at the time' caveats are usually correct. It's blatantly clear that Glen Johnson had no top-level experience at all when he fought Hopkins, so his subsequent proven ability and accomplishments shouldn't be used to boost the value of Hopkins' win.
By the same token, Hopkins usually gets a bit of a pass himself for his loss to Roy Jones Jr,,
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013