Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #46
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who were the best fighters Hopkins beat at MIDDLEWEIGHT ?

If Johnson beats Froch and Ward, Hopkins will have to come crawling. What do you make of Johnson's chances against Froch? I have to tell you, i'm not just desperately keen on this fight for the old fella.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #47
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
If Johnson beats Froch and Ward, Hopkins will have to come crawling. What do you make of Johnson's chances against Froch? I have to tell you, i'm not just desperately keen on this fight for the old fella.
If Froch decides to "slug it out", as he himself would put it (his back-up plan when all else fails), Johnson has a decent chance. Most likely Froch will win it by boxing behind a jab and do well enough against Johnson when he manages to close the distance to not get shaken up. Johnson is more crafty than Abraham though so I don't expect a total shutout. I doubt he will just stare at Froch's left mesmerized.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #48
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yeah, he absolutly obliterated the consensus number two middleweight at the time, Joppy, and was a big fav to beat Hopkins. Very good win IMO. Not much worse than Haglerīs win over Hearns, if at all.
Remarkable even by your standards.

Hearns would have pissed Trinidad in a couple of rounds at any weight.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #49
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Froch is going to land some very big punches I think.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #50
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Froch is going to land some very big punches I think.
Johnson has a tested chin, and decent defense for a pressure fighter, so I doubt he will get knocked out unless he has completely detoriated overnight.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #51
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

When an older dude fights a puncher, I just always feel a bit alarmed. I'm not inffering Johnson is done or anything like that, it just makes me worry for him a little bit. Froch could stop him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #52
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
When an older dude fights a puncher, I just always feel a bit alarmed. I'm not inffering Johnson is done or anything like that, it just makes me worry for him a little bit. Froch could stop him.
I wonder about Froch's power though. He has gone to the 12th in his last five bouts. Of course he has faced some tough customers, and that doesn't change with Johnson. Froch would make a big statement if he stops him.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #53
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Hearns had obliterated Duran and clearly outboxed Benitez at 154, so that has to count for something.

I think the 'at the time' caveats are usually correct. It's blatantly clear that Glen Johnson had no top-level experience at all when he fought Hopkins, so his subsequent proven ability and accomplishments shouldn't be used to boost the value of Hopkins' win.
By the same token, Hopkins usually gets a bit of a pass himself for his loss to Roy Jones Jr,,
I rate the Jones win over Hopkins, i always say that.

I was just playing devils advocate, but it does hold water
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #54
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Johnson has a tested chin, and decent defense for a pressure fighter, so I doubt he will get knocked out unless he has completely detoriated overnight.
I think very underrated, considering how he likes to operate, or even not considering.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #55
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Hearns had obliterated Duran and clearly outboxed Benitez at 154, so that has to count for something.

I think the 'at the time' caveats are usually correct. It's blatantly clear that Glen Johnson had no top-level experience at all when he fought Hopkins, so his subsequent proven ability and accomplishments shouldn't be used to boost the value of Hopkins' win.
By the same token, Hopkins usually gets a bit of a pass himself for his loss to Roy Jones Jr,,
But neither was at mw but yeah that should count somewhat. As should Titoīs thrashing of Vargas.

I agree with the rest. Johnson was Hopkins best performance but not his best win by a good amount.

Quote:
Me neither. I think Glen will take some serious punishment here. Froch is crude but has some skills, powerful, awkward (look how he stands a bit in a strange angle towards his opponent, reminds me a bit of Schmeling), a decent chin, good recuperative powers. Johnson is a bit more skilled, but with his style of putting pressure on his opponent. I doubt this works here, he will run into some big punches and since he has a good chin he may get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Remarkable even by your standards.

Hearns would have pissed Trinidad in a couple of rounds at any weight.
Coming from someone who rarely posts something else but "Bob Foster is sh*t, Carlos Monzon even sh*tier and all they fought too" (yes, Iīm exagerating) I take this as a compliment. Thanks.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #56
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
But neither was at mw but yeah that should count somewhat. As should Titoīs thrashing of Vargas..
Trinidad is a really good win on Hopkins' record.
I'd rate it a little below Hagler's 3-round destruction of Hearns though.

Still, I'm more interesting in the other wins Hopkins has at middleweight. His resume seems remarkably thin. He beat a lot of novices and second-raters, that seems to be the consensus.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #57
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
I rate the Jones win over Hopkins, i always say that.

I was just playing devils advocate, but it does hold water
I rate Jones' win over Hopkins too. But the contention that Hopkins wasn't as seasoned and savvy as he became later has a degree of validity.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #58
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I don't think Johnson will get stopped, he's cagey, the cagest fighter Froch faced made him look foolish, even Barney made Froch look foolish. Froch should win it on youth, workrate, the jab but I wouldn't rule out Johnson old maning that wide open defense of Froch's and would love to see it happen
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #59
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
His fights with Green and Cloud(which I saw live) leads me to believe that he'll be okay, he traded in earnest with Tavoris and honestly i think they were landing punches of a similar quality on the inside judging from noise of impact at the venue. Froch's power is overstated, certainly not better than Cloud's. I actually believe Johnson has the ability to tangle him up inside up close, Froch won't be able to keep him at the end of a jab the whole time. He's more active and a better fighter than AA ever was.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #60
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Trinidad is a really good win on Hopkins' record.
I'd rate it a little below Hagler's 3-round destruction of Hearns though.

Still, I'm more interesting in the other wins Hopkins has at middleweight. His resume seems remarkably thin. He beat a lot of novices and second-raters, that seems to be the consensus.
Itīs reasonable. Iīm not saygin that win must be over Haglerīs but it should be considered and itīs close.

Well, quite a few of the fighters he fought were sh*t after he beat them, so perhaps, just perhaps, he has something to do with his resume looking worse than it should.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum