Old 11-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #16
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kimbo Slices MMA debut fight against Bo Cantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
so by guys like butterbean who boxed for years what does that mean? because people like to see different fights like this that's why. Did Butterbean disgrace boxing....no because he never beat a top guy so it's alright to have fights like that. Just like slice, he's been training for a while now with Bas Rutten, so he is no joke, not to mention he has boxing experience..... we'll have to see when he get's in there with a better challenge then that joke who tapped because he thought he was going to get hit.
Butterbean was always a boxer, he was never a WWE wrestler or a roided out football player. I understand what your saying, I just think guys like Lesner and Sapp make it look easy to get into mixed martial arts and be pretty good as long as your real big. I remember watch Sapp dominate alot of good fighters in K1 punching with no skill what so ever, and just using his size to win pretty much.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #17
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
Butterbean was always a boxer, he was never a WWE wrestler or a roided out football player. I understand what your saying, I just think guys like Lesner and Sapp make it look easy to get into mixed martial arts and be pretty good as long as your real big. I remember watch Sapp dominate alot of good fighters in K1 punching with no skill what so ever, and just using his size to win pretty much.
Lesnar was an NCAA HW champion in wrestling at Minnesota, and a JuCo national champion before that, real wrestling. He isn't just a typical WWE guy.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 04:26 AM   #18
Boogytonice
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Wow the WWE has really fell off
Boogytonice is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #19
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
Oh? When was Kimbo on a national talk show? How about his guest spot on Entourage? Music Videos?

That being said, the other guy tapped out of fear of having his back exposed with kimbo standing over him, not the bravest thing in the world but didn't look fake or planned at all.
who gives a damn about a music video or talk show.

kimbo is the real deal.
sprite is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
Boyd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite

kimbo is the real deal.
Kimbo will get killed by anyone in the top 10.
Boyd is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
Lesnar was an NCAA HW champion in wrestling at Minnesota, and a JuCo national champion before that, real wrestling. He isn't just a typical WWE guy.
Exactly. If you want to see a 'typical' WWE wrestler, watch Butterbean knock out Sean O'Haire (also a WWE wrestler at one point). So, that wrestler gets clobbered by a fat boxer that once got submitted by an MMA fighter weighing 180 pounds.

For the poster saying Lesnar makes MMA look like a joke, I don't think so at all. A talented athlete with a background in amateur wrestling with great size and strength will do well in MMA. That doesn't hurt the tradition of the sport, IMO. A 7'2" guy with the ability to shoot a basketball can also do well in bastketball. Some guys are built for sports, and Lesnar is built for MMA. With that said, Mir just may submit him in 10 seconds.
Tko4 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #22
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite

kimbo is the real deal.
He may be the real deal, but he is nowhere near as popular as people like Chuck or Randy or even Tito, not even remotely close which is what I was talking about.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4
Exactly. If you want to see a 'typical' WWE wrestler, watch Butterbean knock out Sean O'Haire (also a WWE wrestler at one point). So, that wrestler gets clobbered by a fat boxer that once got submitted by an MMA fighter weighing 180 pounds.

For the poster saying Lesnar makes MMA look like a joke, I don't think so at all. A talented athlete with a background in amateur wrestling with great size and strength will do well in MMA. That doesn't hurt the tradition of the sport, IMO. A 7'2" guy with the ability to shoot a basketball can also do well in bastketball. Some guys are built for sports, and Lesnar is built for MMA. With that said, Mir just may submit him in 10 seconds.
Sean O Haire had a professional career as a Muay Thai fighter and a Boxer.He was also an OVW standout and made his money in the WWE.He is also a very big dickhead.Most people dont seem to realise that most guys in the WWE come from professional backgrounds and are doing it for the cash.Lesnar did Kurt Angle did it.But this doesnt take away for a minute there respective backgrounds as sports athletes.

As for Kimbo the issue i have is credibility.He does no good for the credibility of MMA.If there was a street fighting internet hardman act in boxing professional boxing would get savaged in an instant for it.Kimbo doesnt have a professional background is nothing more than a "Youtube" phenom but does have some rudimentary skills.If that is all that is required to make the fast track to MMA stardom then MMA is in sorry affair indeed.I fear its star may have already burned too bright.

Last edited by scurlaruntings; 11-13-2007 at 07:45 AM.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #24
J_Roth
VRWC Hybrid Beaner
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Sean O Haire had a professional career as a Muay Thai fighter and a Boxer.He was also an OWGP standout and made his money in the WWE.He is also a very big dickhead.Most people dont seem to realise that most guys in the WWE come from professional backgrounds and are doing it for the cash.Lesnar did Kurt Angle did it.But this doesnt take away for a minute there respective backgrounds as sports athletes.

As for Kimbo the issue i have is credibility.He does no good for the credibility of MMA.If there was a street fighting internet hardman act in boxing professional boxing would get savaged in an instant for it.Kimbo doesnt have a professional background is nothing more than a "Youtube" phenom but does have some rudimentary skills.If that is all that is required to make the fast track to MMA stardom then MMA is in sorry affair indeed.I fear its star may have already burned too bright.
Excellent post. I also wonder what Kimbo's presence will do for the sport. You never know what he is capable of. He has a fine trainer in Bas. He may just be a flash in the pan or he may have striking skills and develop ground skills as well. I'm sure Kimbo is strong as an ox. You never know what he will turn out to be.
J_Roth is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #25
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Sean O Haire had a professional career as a Muay Thai fighter and a Boxer.He was also an OWGP standout and made his money in the WWE.He is also a very big dickhead.Most people dont seem to realise that most guys in the WWE come from professional backgrounds and are doing it for the cash.Lesnar did Kurt Angle did it.But this doesnt take away for a minute there respective backgrounds as sports athletes.

Great post, I am curious to see what Kimbo could do against a top ranked guy. It would be interesting to see if a self proclaimed toughest street fighter could compete with the likes of fighters that trained in MMA for many years, he is one of the most known fighters in MMA because of his youtube videos.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #26
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

Quote:
'

Yeah, Kimbo I don't like. He's a thug. But Brock Lesnar, as pointed out by you and others, is a legitimate athlete.
Tko4 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #27
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Kimbo =

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #28
The Whaler
My dog be thorough.
ESB Senior Member

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
so by guys like butterbean who boxed for years what does that mean? because people like to see different fights like this that's why. Did Butterbean disgrace boxing....no because he never beat a top guy so it's alright to have fights like that. Just like slice, he's been training for a while now with Bas Rutten, so he is no joke, not to mention he has boxing experience..... we'll have to see when he get's in there with a better challenge then that joke who tapped because he thought he was going to get hit.
The biggest issue with Kimbo Slice is that there is a small segment of the Internet community who think he is the biggest and baddest fighter in the world who would crush anybody in the streets and in the ring. No one, not even the most ignorant of boxing fans, thought Butterbean was anything but a humorously obese man with a decent punch. Also, while Butterbean is just a nice guy trying to make a living in the journeyman circuit, Kimbo Slice is an arrogant jackass, and has received a decent amount of exposure from the MMA media.

Anyways, this should all come to an end when Kimbo is destroyed by a living body.
The Whaler is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #29
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whaler
The biggest issue with Kimbo Slice is that there is a small segment of the Internet community who think he is the biggest and baddest fighter in the world who would crush anybody in the streets and in the ring. No one, not even the most ignorant of boxing fans, thought Butterbean was anything but a humorously obese man with a decent punch. Also, while Butterbean is just a nice guy trying to make a living in the journeyman circuit, Kimbo Slice is an arrogant jackass, and has received a decent amount of exposure from the MMA media.

Anyways, this should all come to an end when Kimbo is destroyed by a living body.
To be honest thats not even an issue as it shows the ignorance and blood lust of the MMA demographic. No one with half a braincell is interested in taking an internet hardman seriously.BUT MMA fans certainly are.Kimbo is nothing more than what Tank Abbott was.A street guy with a street rep trying to get paid by any means neccesary.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #30
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

How long is it going to be before he actually fights anyone decent. It seems like he joined years ago and still so little action. Talk about milking it.

Also how on earth does he get away with that beard. Such a beard is illegal in boxing because it gives a distinct advantage. It adds protection, in a sort of way a head guard would.

I could be wrong, but If you look closely. I'm sure Kimbo doesn't hit the bloke when he goes down. He throws the punch then simply brushes him with his elbow. Have a look at the slow mos at the end.

Last edited by JonOli; 11-14-2007 at 08:50 PM.
JonOli is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum