Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Miguel Cotto: A superstar is born!!

First off an absolutely awesome fight. Both guys came in very sharp, both looked very fast and extremely focused. I was very suprised to see just how good Shane looked in the first few rounds. I think he came to the ring in very good form and was just beaten by the better man tonight.

Cotto proved again that he is truely one of boxings elite, and IMO also showed that he would be a very real threat to Floyd Mayweather.

It was dissapointing to see him take the last round off, and a couple of the other later rounds also, but I think he was boxing cautiously as it was such a close fight, and a knockdown could have easily swung the bout in Mosleys favour.

The best thing out of this fight from Cotto's perspective is that he showed that he is a true boxer puncher. A guy who was even outboxing Mosley at times, not just relying on relentless pressure. This is the sort of pressure that is needed to beat a guy like Mayweather. You need to be very controlled, very fast and not leave yourself open for counter punches. Effective pressure coupled with a great body attack. Cotto IMO can do all of this well, and a fight with Floyd is virtually a pick em at this point.

What are your thoughts on the fight?
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908
Default Re: Miguel Cotto: A superstar is born!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR

My thoughts?

I'm pissed because I missed this fight because I had to take the missus to the beach.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

My opinion is that floyd will pick Hatton apart then pick Cotto apart.

He hit Shane tonight but so have many other fighters that Shane has fought. Styles make fight and i dont think Cotto will ever beat a PBF, that is just my opinion
teke is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Dojo
The Animal
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
First off an absolutely awesome fight. Both guys came in very sharp, both looked very fast and extremely focused. I was very suprised to see just how good Shane looked in the first few rounds. I think he came to the ring in very good form and was just beaten by the better man tonight.

Cotto proved again that he is truely one of boxings elite, and IMO also showed that he would be a very real threat to Floyd Mayweather.

It was dissapointing to see him take the last round off, and a couple of the other later rounds also, but I think he was boxing cautiously as it was such a close fight, and a knockdown could have easily swung the bout in Mosleys favour.

The best thing out of this fight from Cotto's perspective is that he showed that he is a true boxer puncher. A guy who was even outboxing Mosley at times, not just relying on relentless pressure. This is the sort of pressure that is needed to beat a guy like Mayweather. You need to be very controlled, very fast and not leave yourself open for counter punches. Effective pressure coupled with a great body attack. Cotto IMO can do all of this well, and a fight with Floyd is virtually a pick em at this point.

I thought it was a good performance by both guys, Cotto showed he can box as well as slug it out. I just can't get over the guys in the general forum saying Shane was robbed.
Dojo is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
My opinion is that floyd will pick Hatton apart then pick Cotto apart.

He hit Shane tonight but so have many other fighters that Shane has fought. Styles make fight and i dont think Cotto will ever beat a PBF, that is just my opinion
Fair enough. I'll have another avatar waiting for you when the time comes.

It will be interesting to see where the career of Cotto goes on from here. I will be watching Mayweather v Hatton very closely. For the record I think a lot of people are under estimating Ricky Hatton, and that it will be a pretty close fight.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
My thoughts?

I'm pissed because I missed this fight because I had to take the missus to the beach.
HAD to take the missus to the beach? Under the thumb mate, you only have yourself to blame. Next time you should ask her permission in advance
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
pecks
East Side Guru

Quote:
HAD to take the missus to the beach? Under the thumb mate, you only have yourself to blame. Next time you should ask her permission in advance
I kinda put it off last week when the Kess fight was on, I definitely wasn't going to miss that. I'll have to download this one ASAP.

So you think Cotto will give it to Floyd?! Big call mate. I'll have to see more of Cotto before I can make a genuine prediction though.

I think Floyd will have an easy night against Hatton. Hatton will be lucky to win 2 rounds. I really hope I'm wrong though because I'd love to see Hatton knock him out.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
sambo1987
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I must admit, leading up to this fight I was absolutley sure that mosely was all wrong for cotto and that cotto was going to get caught but regardless of how close it was today I think he handled mosley exceptionally well. His pressure style is heaps effective and stumped mosely a few times for sure.

As for mayweather, I'm not sure, I think I'll have a better idea post-hatton, but at the moment I couldn't bet against pbf. In saying that, today was the second time I have bet against cotto and lost! 20 kanga straight to the TAB.

Hope everyone enjoyed the fight, I thought it was well wicked.
sambo1987 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Yeah if anyone else is after an avatar bet with Cotto vs Mayweather should it eventuate in the future just let me no.
Im all for Cotto.
Great win & a new superstar is well & truly born.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

vCash: 509

Quote:
My thoughts?

You shoulda stayed off the net, and just d/l the fight.
I hate missing good fights too, i did with kess-calzage, but downloaded it after trying not to come on the net lol
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Well done Cotto, a good name to have as a W on your resume.

I didn't see the fight but caught the rd by rd in the main forum...from the sound of things it was a fight of 2 halves?

From the updates I was reading, Cotto was faster than Mosely in the early rounds, and dominated them more, but then Mosely started coming back, and seemed to hurt Cotto around the 7th round and then Cotto stayed away for the rest of the fight...is that right?

It sure sounded a lot closer than the consensus on this thread in the main lounge, plenty crying robbery.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

It was a great fight with Cotto proving again he is one of the best at 147lbs. His hand speed has improved out of sight IMO. He didnt rush and try and bomb Shane out, he applied good pressure and even though the fight was close at the end i thought he controlled the whole night.

Shane shouldnt be disapointed, he fought the best he could and held his feet well. Maybe time to say goodbye to a great boxing career.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
planetzion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
My thoughts?

lol ME TOO!!!!

Thats soo funny i had a massive spin out with my wife about it i ended having to conceed just to keep the peace ...
planetzion is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
Well done Cotto, a good name to have as a W on your resume.

I didn't see the fight but caught the rd by rd in the main forum...from the sound of things it was a fight of 2 halves?

From the updates I was reading, Cotto was faster than Mosely in the early rounds, and dominated them more, but then Mosely started coming back, and seemed to hurt Cotto around the 7th round and then Cotto stayed away for the rest of the fight...is that right?

It sure sounded a lot closer than the consensus on this thread in the main lounge, plenty crying robbery.
Definitely wasnt robbery. I had it a draw and it was a fight in two halves.

Mosley got his attention in the 10th.

Shane didnt use any of his speed with combos in this fight which pissed me off.
teke is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #15
pecks
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetzion
lol ME TOO!!!!

Thats soo funny i had a massive spin out with my wife about it i ended having to conceed just to keep the peace ...
heh. The funny thing is, me and the missus had a bit of a falling out on the way to the beach. I remember contemplating going to Scruffy's and watching the fight there, but unfortunately she came around and we patched things up.
pecks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum