Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
zalman
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Billy Dib - is he ready for the big time?

After watching Billy Dib today on the Cotto-Mosley undercard, he did a reasonably good job. I saw an article in Fox Sports news stating he was ready for a world title shot. From what I saw, although he did a great job, I don't think he's ready for a shot at the top players yet. I think he needs 1 or 2 more fights against top 10 fighters.

Does anyone else who watched the fight agree with me?
zalman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
waynesmale
TEAM LONEWOLF
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Billy Dib - is he ready for the big time?

Kid is the most overated boxing in Australia BY FAR! Sure he has skills and all that but the kid and everyone around him pumps him up as if he has already got to the big champion class and he is WAY off being that.

He should have put this guy away but maybe he wanted the rounds but problem still is he has not step up at all and faced anyone even decent not good or great but just someone decent is needed to test him.

I'll say this skills wise William Kickett wins hands down BY FAR will kickett go on to do bigger things then Dib will for the main reason he just takes it a fight at a time and at the moment he doesnt listen to all his hype, Where as Dib clearly does.

I wish Dib all the best but he is getting ahead of himself believing all his own hype and sooner or later he will fall and it will be a BIG shock to him so hope he tries to finally take on some decent fighters so he can learn rather then been spoonfeed easy wins to boost up his record.
waynesmale is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
tsr

He has a long way to go imo before a world title, but 1 thing in his favour big time is the camp hes affiliated with. boxing is all about who ya know
tsr is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 110

No, hes like a shit impression of Naz with more running and 0 power.

Last edited by Ezzard; 09-13-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Sai is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Location: "always take the arrows in the forhead, never in the back"
vCash: 525

needs more experience...i was a bit dissapointed i thought he coulda taken the guy outta there instead of showboating he could try throwing more of those combos he showed us(but he leaves hiomself wide open when he does)so he needs 2 work on this stuff imo
stuistylee is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I think Billy is a special talent and he cops a bit because he is a little arrogant, a biter and I think people kind of overlook the fact he is actually a pretty good fighter.
I think he is one of out best up and comers.

That being said I actually think he is a bit limited. Once someone comes along a nullifies his speed, height and jab, I just cant see what he has to fall back on. I reckon his chin isnt bad, but he doesnt like getting hit, he goes into a shell a bit when he cops a good punch.

I just dont see Billy getting much better, just getting more experienced. Featherweight isnt strong at the moment, He may be able to bag a title but there are several fighters around who would bash him silly I reckon.

Last edited by RUSKULL; 09-13-2006 at 12:05 PM.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
waynesmale
TEAM LONEWOLF
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
I think Billy is a special talent and he cops a bit because he is a little arrogant, a biter and I think people kind of overlook the fact he is actually a pretty good fighter.
I think he is one of out best up and comers.

That being said I actually think he is a bit limited. Once someone comes along a nullifies his speed, height and jab, I just cant see what he has to fall back on. I reckon his chin isnt bad, but he doesnt like getting hit, he goes into a shell a bit when he cops a good punch.

I just dont see Billy getting much better, just getting more experienced. Featherweight isnt strong at the moment, He may be able to bag a title but there are several fighters around who would bash him silly I reckon.
Dont get me wrong the kid has skills but NOT to the level he thinks and what people are claiming and it is hard to tell how good he is when he should be blowing these guys away so it is really hard to judge.

In time we will see how far the kid can really go but i expect him to do good but never claim a world title but might get close.
waynesmale is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #8
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Coooool Willie Kickett is the next big thing in Aus
teke is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ready for the big time i dont think so, he was fighting a guy with 12 losses didnt put him away, and got rocked once?? (didnt see it) but flat out i would love to see him make it and maybe do some sort of part for aussie boxers to join the goldenboy stable and soo on and feature on there cards or somethign could be good down the track
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by maco_187
ready for the big time i dont think so, he was fighting a guy with 12 losses didnt put him away, and got rocked once?? (didnt see it) but flat out i would love to see him make it and maybe do some sort of part for aussie boxers to join the goldenboy stable and soo on and feature on there cards or somethign could be good down the track
First off, Mtagwa is one of those guys like Glen Johnson, whose record is less than sparkling but who has been robbed his fair share of times and is a much better fighter than his record indicates.

Second, I was in the crowd and I thought Dib looked fairly impressive (it was my first time seeing him however). Yes, he did get rocked once in the 3rd, but he seemed to recover quickly, and was able to maintain his balance even while he was rocked. Dib was generally very slippery though. Seemed tough to hit. He has bad habits like keeping his hands way too low, but the fact that he mostly made Mtagwa look silly (which is difficult to do - this was the worst points loss in his career) impressed me quite a bit.

I agree he's not ready for a title shot. He has a lot to learn about the sport. Right now he's getting by on pure talent, which is always good to have, but eventually he'll need to learn how to open up his opponent a bit better and how to guard himself better when he's moving. He's great at avoiding punches, but if he doesn't keep his guard while doing it, one of these days someone will catch him with an uppercut to the chin he never saw coming, because his movements are so exaggerated.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #11
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Billy Dib still has a fair way to go to reach the top IMO.
Mtagwa was easily his biggest name on paper so far & he came through quite well.
I would like to see Billy face someone who has quick movement like himself, because he seems to face alot of these slow straight forward type brawlers just far too often.
There is no rush for Billy's management tho. I could see him claiming a version of the world title, but whether he goes any further is up to his attitude & dedication.

Last edited by Dr Z; 09-13-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
zalman
Journeyman

Most of us agree that he has still a long way to go. I fear if he tries for a world title now, he will lose and also lose his confidence, which would be a pity.
zalman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum