Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default The Problem with Aus Boxing

we have a number of threads on the first page and the most popular are either Mundine, SBW or the Nrl thread, when a real boxing thread comes up it is lucky to go 5 pages, if more people commented on the Kats, Vics geales and co and less on what people dont like it would be better for all
cedrichw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
raff
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090
Default Re: The Problem with Aus Boxing

i agree completely, i dont normally look at mundine or green threads anymore
raff is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Packo

vCash: 375

I'm more interested in Australian fighters that are trying to make a name for themselves overseas i.e Darchinyan, Katsidis, Geale, Bika - etc.
Packo is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ced... it's hard to keep a thread going when everything is agreed upon in the first page.

Talk about Omotoso vs Ben Rabah should be pretty strong.. it may be when the contracts are signed... but, it'll still recieve less attention that the usual suspects.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
Ced... it's hard to keep a thread going when everything is agreed upon in the first page.

Talk about Omotoso vs Ben Rabah should be pretty strong.. it may be when the contracts are signed... but, it'll still recieve less attention that the usual suspects.
True i didn't think of that something everyone agrees upon wont go far I guess. Then again I am all for more boxing so the SBW fight doesn't really worry me. doesn't excite me either but dont really get too worried about it.
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packo View Post
I'm more interested in Australian fighters that are trying to make a name for themselves overseas i.e Darchinyan, Katsidis, Geale, Bika - etc.
I am also interested in them but more so in the local guys being well matched and seeing a competitive fight, going to the fights in person and seeing good fights is still what I prefer the most
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
JOE COOL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Good post but contraversity and names does sell tickets its a shame but that the way it is!
JOE COOL is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE COOL View Post
Good post but contraversity and names does sell tickets its a shame but that the way it is!
Controversy in relation to Mundine or Green is manufactured bullshit!
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
Controversy in relation to Mundine or Green is manufactured bullshit!
Pretty much
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
JOE COOL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

well while they ****ing Austrlian boxing they are making $
JOE COOL is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I certainly don't know if it's 'the' problem of Australian boxing, but certainly a problem I have is this new wave of self-promotion.

Besides the obvious 'paid in tickets/if at all' situation that have exploited and pillaged to the enth' degree (it's become a common place theme for quite a few promoters now also), my number one issue with the whole self-promotion perspective is it's fundamentally a conflict of interest.

This goes for BOXA, Green Machine, the whole lot of them who are now self-promoting as the conflict of interest is that they tell everyone, beating their chest how their the toughest, the best and want to fight the world (fighters perspective), selling this persona to the public, yet they wear the promoters hat and a promoter doesn't want their meal ticket to get beat so the opposition chosen has 99% of the time got absolutely no hope.

(For reference - please see most of Mundine's opponent's throughout career - he ran most of the time when faced with hard challenges, Kessler again, Geale again, Golkovin and certainly Danny Green hasn't been lilly white since returning from retirement with some of his dubious choices)

The opposition is so hand-picked, it's worse than a strawberry field. Couple then with selling 'fake' belts (Interim, Regular, IBO, WBF, etc, etc) it has become confusing for the casual fan, and in most cases, non-credidable so they perceive it as some form of WWE bullshit.

As I said, it's not 'the' one and only problem of Australian boxing, but certainly one that will not get better as every second fighter seems to think the road to self-promotion is easy and will only do what's required in order to 'sell it', hence, most of the time - the path of least resistance with their careers!
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
I certainly don't know if it's 'the' problem of Australian boxing, but certainly a problem I have is this new wave of self-promotion.

Besides the obvious 'paid in tickets/if at all' situation that have exploited and pillaged to the enth' degree (it's become a common place theme for quite a few promoters now also), my number one issue with the whole self-promotion perspective is it's fundamentally a conflict of interest.

This goes for BOXA, Green Machine, the whole lot of them who are now self-promoting as the conflict of interest is that they tell everyone, beating their chest how their the toughest, the best and want to fight the world (fighters perspective), selling this persona to the public, yet they wear the promoters hat and a promoter doesn't want their meal ticket to get beat so the opposition chosen has 99% of the time got absolutely no hope.

(For reference - please see most of Mundine's opponent's throughout career - he ran most of the time when faced with hard challenges, Kessler again, Geale again, Golkovin and certainly Danny Green hasn't been lilly white since returning from retirement with some of his dubious choices)

The opposition is so hand-picked, it's worse than a strawberry field. Couple then with selling 'fake' belts (Interim, Regular, IBO, WBF, etc, etc) it has become confusing for the casual fan, and in most cases, non-credidable so they perceive it as some form of WWE bullshit.

As I said, it's not 'the' one and only problem of Australian boxing, but certainly one that will not get better as every second fighter seems to think the road to self-promotion is easy and will only do what's required in order to 'sell it', hence, most of the time - the path of least resistance with their careers!
Spoken some true words there mate.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Tend to agree...and I dont see it getting better....I see more and more fighters wanting comtrol of who they fight and linking with promoters that will go the easy route

With all the regional titles about it's hard to say no to an easy fight for a top 15 spot
ashley is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The extract below is taken from a previous thread relating to Commonwealth Titles. The first paragraph in particular is another problem with Australian boxing - the path of east resistance!

If your not good enough to contest for a Commonwealth Title, or at the very least, a regional title against a credentialed (and not a piss-take, padded record) opponent, no fighter should have any business sitting idle on a world-rating 'waiting for their shot'. Your simply not worthy, and I'm sorry, it's not what the fighter would want to hear, but that's the facts you should be hearing/being told by the people around you (trainer/manager, etc)

Extract -

I had this discussion just last week with one of Australia's biggest promoters and he agreed, far too many Australian fighters just sit on their records because of the farcical situation the sanctioning bodies have created with their world ranking and they won't progress themselves as fighters for fear of losing their rating.

I can understand the thought process, but as a progression perspective for them as a fighter, their going nowhere. Contesting something like the Comm. title will allow them some solid progression against a better class of fighter, albeit, not the very elite so it's good for where their careers are at.

I also think from a credability perspective, I'd rather call myself the Comm. champion as oppossed to the Asia-Pacific/African/Oriental or Pan-Pacific/Paba title holder (worse if it's only for the Interim version!) and it would come across better on Australian tv and with the fans, in turn only enhancing the fighters overall worth.

Last edited by Contendo; 01-04-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

i don't think it makes any difference. commonwealth champ or asia-pacific...the fans don't care, they just want to see good fights between good fighters.

we r not getting that. that's why boxing is dying.
buster007 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum