Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #16
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275
Default Re: The Problem with Aus Boxing

The only regional title which i hold some value to is the OPBF(which will then ONLY give you a top 40 WBC ranking) as they enforce mandatories otherwise guys will be stripped.
You cant sit on a title for more than a defense or 2 max. You wont find too many Aussies fighting for this as they will have to go through tough Japanese guys to retain the belt. Dan Geale & Dom Vea are some of the few Aussies off the top of my head which have held the belt for more than a defense or 2 recently.

These other regional titles WBA (PABA & Pan-African), IBF (IBF Pan-Pac & Australasian), WBO (Asia-Pacific & Oriental), IBO (Asia-Pacific) are all just a joke, which most promoters/managers go find any bum with a winning record from any country in the region (more often than not Indonesians, Thailanders, Kiwi's & sometimes a mediocre Filipino)...hell even some come from Thailand impersonating other mediocre Thai fighters & these impersonators are even worse.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #17
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Hence my point Kegs. No fighter should be just sitting on a rating.

If a fighter fights for a regional title, great if it's against another Top 15 rated fighter to solidly progress, but by simply being a belt collector against imported Asians in order to get a Top 15 rating and then sit protecting that rating does nothing for the fighter or the fans who are wanting to see the fighter go forward.

It may sound like I'm contradicting, but any regional belt is good if that is the path they wish to pursue (that particular sanctioning body champion). As long as then the fighter continues to defend against Top 15, or very highly credentialed (not blown-up/padded record) opponents in order to keep moving forward to potential higher opportunities.

Sitting on a belt doing nothing - your just bullshitting to yourself and the fans.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contendo View Post
Sitting on a belt doing nothing - your just bullshitting to yourself and the fans.
Its too easy to do this these days mate.

I wont mention names as i dont want to upset MANY people but i can think of 10-15 Aussie boxer names off the top of my head alone which are doing this or have been over the past couple years.
Im sure if i went on boxrec & looked at all Aussie boxer names across all weight classes this number would increase.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
Its too easy to do this these days mate.

I wont mention names as i dont want to upset MANY people but i can think of 10-15 Aussie boxer names off the top of my head alone which are doing this or have been over the past couple years.
Im sure if i went on boxrec & looked at all Aussie boxer names across all weight classes this number would increase.
Can't disagree with this...
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The introduction of 'interim' regional belts is just another stab in the games heart.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
The introduction of 'interim' regional belts is just another stab in the games heart.

Disgraceful isn't it!
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #22
boxoncottonon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
The only regional title which i hold some value to is the OPBF(which will then ONLY give you a top 40 WBC ranking) as they enforce mandatories otherwise guys will be stripped.
You cant sit on a title for more than a defense or 2 max. You wont find too many Aussies fighting for this as they will have to go through tough Japanese guys to retain the belt. Dan Geale & Dom Vea are some of the few Aussies off the top of my head which have held the belt for more than a defense or 2 recently.

These other regional titles WBA (PABA & Pan-African), IBF (IBF Pan-Pac & Australasian), WBO (Asia-Pacific & Oriental), IBO (Asia-Pacific) are all just a joke, which most promoters/managers go find any bum with a winning record from any country in the region (more often than not Indonesians, Thailanders, Kiwi's & sometimes a mediocre Filipino)...hell even some come from Thailand impersonating other mediocre Thai fighters & these impersonators are even worse.
Darren Obah comes to mind for the OPBF...it was a sought after title in the nineties by Aussie fighters.
Adam Watt was another.
boxoncottonon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum