Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #166
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 187
Default Re: Official 2011 Aussie NRL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
I've always liked this article, even though it's not really a Souths friendly article...

Wednesday, 09 June 2010
backpagelead.com.au

Maybe it’s just me, but the prospect of South Sydney winning the NRL premiership, a prospect which looms ever larger as they fit their high-priced purchases with cohesive teamwork, makes me feel like puking.

This is a team I marched for, when they were kicked out, because I liked the Bunnies and opposed the economic rationalism that left no place for them in a reduced league. We’d lost Norths and Newtown and would soon see two more[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] foundation clubs, Balmain and Wests, lose their separate identities in a merger. Redfern was where[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] we drew the line in the[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] sand.

When Souths were reinstated, I went to their first game. They were scorched by the Roosters at the SFS, but it didn’t matter. Even the hollowed-out faces of Rabbitohs fans were smiling.

Souths fans are[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] a hard-bitten lot because they’ve been bitten hard: by defeat, by luck. They won’t believe they’ve won the premiership until they’ve gone to bed[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and woken up the next day and read the papers. They permit themselves, in lapsed moments, to hope and dream, but never to believe. That’s why, as a neutral, you’ve got to love[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] them.

Then along came Maximus. I don’t know Russell Crowe from Robin Hood but I make no excuses for the following ignorant character assassination. This, after all, is what Rusty’s beloved tribalism is all about: unleashing irrational passions.

Russell Crowe is a grand[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] fellow, for he can achieve the impossible. Is it possible for a single man to make a whole club detestable? Russell can, and did. I don’t know if it’s the boring, droning pomposity. I don’t know if it’s the mannered ordinary-bloke thing. I don’t know if it’s the wife-hugging in the corporate box whenever Souths score, or the careful absences when they’re getting caned. I don’t know if it’s the Book of Whatever It Is. I don’t know if it’s Pamela Anderson cajoled into wearing Rabbitohs caps. I don’t know if it’s his mate the league-loving Sydney denizen Peter Holmes a Court. I don’t know if it was the specious pretexts to dump Jason Taylor and Joe Galuvao. I don’t know if it’s just the up-himself, big-man-in-town wankery.

But whatever it is, Russell’s achieved it. He’s made Souths a team to barrack against.

Of course, it would have been fine if they’d kept losing. But Russell did a lot to talk top-quality players like Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi and Dave Taylor into coming to Souths, and good[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on him for that. (They just want to hope that, unlike Galuvao and Adam McDougall and some others, they’re not tomorrow’s discarded boiled bunnies.) Whatever manner he’s used, and the salary cap auditor has no doubt been through Souths’ files with his microscope, Russell has built a team to reckon with. They have a top bloke for a coach in Johnny Lang, and a few retreads who are reaching their potential alongside the stars. They’ve discarded cheergirls and pokies, and constructed their success on a growing base of membership. Good on them for that. In many ways Souths are the club of the future, and a team to admire.

But it doesn’t sit right, this glam and twizzle. This is Souths, damn it. The only mortgage they ever held was on nostalgia. They’re the premiership champions of yesteryear, the upholders of the purity of inner-city poverty, the burnt-out shell of league’s rust-belt past. So much easier to love when they were losers.

I've seen that one before, its a very clever way of paying Souths the ultimate compliment, our rapid accent into proffesionalism will shock & bewilder a lot of people, but who gives a ****, we'll be back where we belong
wide_open_road is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #167
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster4Life View Post
Really?

Interesting.

everyone previously hated you cunts anyway, just because of your foul ways, the fact that you have had no juniors for decades, the fact that every player you ever had was given to you by "uncle Nick", your clubs total disregard for junior Rugby league & nurturing it in your shitty district has always been a disgrace
wide_open_road is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 AM   #168
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:
it is the Point.

They haven't won a GF in a long time, So Sir Russellmus Maximus is Trying to Buy his way into a GF, How can anyone deny that?

Im not saying Buying players is a bad thing, Roosters do it too, But to pretend Roosters are the only ones.....Come on its 2011 all teams Buy and Cut players.

Souths have done a lot of Buying in the last few years.
Jesus mate it was sarcasm
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #169
Rooster4Life
Easts Till I Die
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300

all BS aside, i just made this video of the Tigers vs Roosters Finals game last year.

Amazing moment, even if it wasnt the roosters id still say it, One of the greatest moments in NRL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYOpKZa6SQ&feature=feedu[/ame]
Rooster4Life is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #170
Rooster4Life
Easts Till I Die
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Jesus mate it was sarcasm
Yeh, i knew that after i re read it, Sorry mate.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #171
wangman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Copy the Roosters?
Souths have won 20 premierships. Far more than any other team in the comp. We dont need to follow the Roosters blueprint to achieve success.

We also have more juniors in our current side than any other NRL team does in the comp.
Pick your top 17. At best youll have 1 maybe 2 more "juniors" then us, let aloneany other team in the comp. New Zealand Warriors id be willing to bet have more.
wangman is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #172
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangman View Post
Pick your top 17. At best youll have 1 maybe 2 more "juniors" then us, let aloneany other team in the comp. New Zealand Warriors id be willing to bet have more.
I bet the Titans out do everyone for Jnrs playing in their side
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #173
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
We wont have Anasta.

People just want to don on the great red and greens teke, and thats all there is too it.

On another note, I'm hearing noises that you cunts are after the Coal train. You heard anything about that?
Is the Coal trian Taylor?

Havnt heard anything of the sort but I know the Titans are scratching like crazy to get a big damaging front rower
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #174
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

Gorden Tallis and Greg Alexander prepare to play Legends of Origin match for Premier's Flood Relief fund

• By Christopher Sutton
  • [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  • January 25, 2011 2:00PM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Legends Of Origin ... toe-to-toe for a good cause. Artwork: Miles Cox. Source: FOX SPORTS

Queensland hardman Gorden Tallis is already promising to go full throttle against his old adversaries in the Legends of Origin clash at Parramatta Stadium - and all for a good cause.

Legends Of Origin Teams

New South Wales: Brad Fittler, Benny Elias, Eric Grothe, Gary Jack, Tim Brasher, Brett Kimmorley, Cliff Lyons, Terry Lamb, Mario Fenech, Mark Carroll, Luke Ricketson, Rod Wishart, Bryan Fletcher, Ryan Girdler, David Peachey, Paul Sironen, Greg Alexander, Mark Geyer, Phil Gould (coach).

Queensland: Mal Meninga, Wendell Sailor, Kerry Bousteed, Gary Belcher, Tony Currie, Robbie O’Davis, Adrian Lam, Sam Backo, Kerrod Walters, Gorden Tallis, Mark Coyne, Kevin Campion, Willie Carne, Colin Scott, Jamie Goddard, Mat Rogers, Jason Smith, Andrew Symonds, Wally Lewis (coach).

Referee: Bill Harrigan

"If they want to run hard, I'll tackle them as hard as they want to run," Tallis told foxsports.com.au of the match on Thursday.
"Simple as that."
And The Raging Bull has it on good authority that the interstate rivalry is alive and well among the game's former stars, with pre-match banter reaching fever pitch among the players most remembered for their Origin passion.
"Mark Carroll won't be able to help himself;" Tallis said.
"I played a game with him not long ago ... it was touch but he tackled Mario Fenech and there was nearly a couple of punches thrown.
Start of sidebar. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

End of sidebar. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Now those two are going to be on the same side.
"Mark Geyer's been talking it up ridiculous so those two guys I know for a fact cannot help themselves.
"But Sam Backo said he's going to knock them out."
Don't miss a minute of the legendary action when NSW and Queensland renew old rivalries, streaming LIVE from 7pm (EDT) Thursday on foxsports.com.au and Fox Sports 1HD and Fox Sports 1.
The hard hits aren't Tallis's biggest concern, however.
He said he had to think it over - briefly - when first invited to take part in the fundraiser.
"My first thought was do I really want to go out there and embarrass myself?" Tallis said.
"And I thought, 'yes, because I'm a Queenslander', and that's what happens when the people have gone through what they've been through."
While the entire country has felt the tragedy of the Queensland floods, it is no surprise that the cause cuts close to the bone for Tallis and his Maroons teammates.
"The TV footage didn't do what happened to Queensland justice," Tallis said.
"It was a lot worse to what the coverage was showing.
"I'm just blown away by the generosity of Triple M and Fox Sports for getting behind it and for all the players to put their egos in their pockets.
"I'm really looking forward to (playing) because it was overwhelming what happened to Queensland, and the support that the rugby league community have given has been really overwhelming as well."
The match will feature players whose careers have spanned the past three decades, and New South Wales legend Greg Alexander says the Maroons will have a distinct advantage in the age department.
"Queensland are recruiting a couple of not-so-long-retired players like Kevin Campion and Wendell Sailor, so they've got a couple of blokes who have only just finished playing footy," Alexander lamented.
But Brandy tipped one of the Blues' own "younger" recruits as a potential game-breaker.
"I think Peach (David Peachey) is still playing country football ... he'll be the NSW team trump card," he said.
"But I expect Cliffy Lyons, although he's on the wrong side of 45, to still have it in terms of his ball skills.
"I'm looking forward to watching Cliffy mesmerise the Queenslanders with his ability to offload the footy and stand players up."
So with the Cane Toads promising to bring the biff and the ****roaches talking up their silky skills, a good old-fashioned Origin battle is on the cards.
But this time around players and fans alike will be united for a common cause rather than divided by state lines.
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #175
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke View Post
Gorden Tallis and Greg Alexander prepare to play Legends of Origin match for Premier's Flood Relief fund

• By Christopher Sutton

Legends Of Origin ... toe-to-toe for a good cause. Artwork: Miles Cox. Source: FOX SPORTS

Queensland hardman Gorden Tallis is already promising to go full throttle against his old adversaries in the Legends of Origin clash at Parramatta Stadium - and all for a good cause.

Legends Of Origin Teams

New South Wales: Brad Fittler, Benny Elias, Eric Grothe, Gary Jack, Tim Brasher, Brett Kimmorley, Cliff Lyons, Terry Lamb, Mario Fenech, Mark Carroll, Luke Ricketson, Rod Wishart, Bryan Fletcher, Ryan Girdler, David Peachey, Paul Sironen, Greg Alexander, Mark Geyer, Phil Gould (coach).

Queensland: Mal Meninga, Wendell Sailor, Kerry Bousteed, Gary Belcher, Tony Currie, Robbie O’Davis, Adrian Lam, Sam Backo, Kerrod Walters, Gorden Tallis, Mark Coyne, Kevin Campion, Willie Carne, Colin Scott, Jamie Goddard, Mat Rogers, Jason Smith, Andrew Symonds, Wally Lewis (coach).

"If they want to run hard, I'll tackle them as hard as they want to run," Tallis told foxsports.com.au of the match on Thursday.
"Simple as that."
And The Raging Bull has it on good authority that the interstate rivalry is alive and well among the game's former stars, with pre-match banter reaching fever pitch among the players most remembered for their Origin passion.
"I played a game with him not long ago ... it was touch but he tackled Mario Fenech and there was nearly a couple of punches thrown.

"Mark Geyer's been talking it up ridiculous so those two guys I know for a fact cannot help themselves.
Don't miss a minute of the legendary action when NSW and Queensland renew old rivalries, streaming LIVE from 7pm (EDT) Thursday on foxsports.com.au and Fox Sports 1HD and Fox Sports 1.
He said he had to think it over - briefly - when first invited to take part in the fundraiser.
"My first thought was do I really want to go out there and embarrass myself?" Tallis said.
"And I thought, 'yes, because I'm a Queenslander', and that's what happens when the people have gone through what they've been through."
While the entire country has felt the tragedy of the Queensland floods, it is no surprise that the cause cuts close to the bone for Tallis and his Maroons teammates.
"I'm just blown away by the generosity of Triple M and Fox Sports for getting behind it and for all the players to put their egos in their pockets.
"I'm really looking forward to (playing) because it was overwhelming what happened to Queensland, and the support that the rugby league community have given has been really overwhelming as well."
The match will feature players whose careers have spanned the past three decades, and New South Wales legend Greg Alexander says the Maroons will have a distinct advantage in the age department.
"Queensland are recruiting a couple of not-so-long-retired players like Kevin Campion and Wendell Sailor, so they've got a couple of blokes who have only just finished playing footy," Alexander lamented.
But Brandy tipped one of the Blues' own "younger" recruits as a potential game-breaker.
"I think Peach (David Peachey) is still playing country football ... he'll be the NSW team trump card," he said.
"But I expect Cliffy Lyons, although he's on the wrong side of 45, to still have it in terms of his ball skills.
"I'm looking forward to watching Cliffy mesmerise the Queenslanders with his ability to offload the footy and stand players up."
So with the Cane Toads promising to bring the biff and the ****roaches talking up their silky skills, a good old-fashioned Origin battle is on the cards.
But this time around players and fans alike will be united for a common cause rather than divided by state lines.
pity Mark McGaw isnt in the NSW side so he can hammer Meninga again.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #176
Rooster4Life
Easts Till I Die
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke View Post

• By Christopher Sutton

Legends Of Origin Teams

"Simple as that."

god damn it i dont have Foxtel
Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #177
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
god damn it i dont have Foxtel
watch it at your local.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #178
Barrera_fan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Rooster, it says in the article it's getting streamed on the foxsports website too.
Barrera_fan is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #179
Rooster4Life
Easts Till I Die
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera_fan View Post
Rooster, it says in the article it's getting streamed on the foxsports website too.
Im over my internet limit
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #180
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Maybe NSW should play that team in real Origin this year... We couldn't do any worse could we?
OZ Puncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum