puroresu fan 4 life!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Official 2011 Aussie NRL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Waratahs shock contenders for SBW's signature

by JAMIE PANDARAM - Stuff.co.nz - 10th August 2011

The Waratahs have emerged as shock contenders for the signature of Sonny Bill Williams next year, as the Kiwi superstar considers walking away from the All Blacks after the World Cup.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

While Williams has verbally agreed to stay in New Zealand for another 12 months, he has yet to sign with the New Zealand Rugby Union and there is no contractual obligation blocking a defection to NSW, where he could become the face of the game in Sydney.

The NZRU yesterday said Williams had signed with them, but the Sydney Morning Herald understands he has given them only a verbal guarantee.

The Waratahs approached Williams' management about a deal last month. At that time they were told he was tied up for next year, but things seem to have changed dramatically given he has failed to sign with a Kiwi Super Rugby team.

''We have still got a spot or two in our squad,'' Waratahs chief executive Jason Allen said.

''If the question is would we ever want him in our squad if we could fulfil any financial demands - of course, without a doubt. We would be thrilled, he would be a real asset here. I think we have a pretty strong program to support him.''

It is also understood that should Super Rugby champions Queensland approach Williams, he would strongly consider it due to his desire to play alongside close friend Quade Cooper.

When he agreed to remain in New Zealand four weeks ago, Williams said: ''I'm committed to staying here for another year. It's due to the fact that the amount of support that I've got back in New Zealand has been pretty humbling. At this stage it's just one more year but things could change.''

He was expected to have already picked a Super Rugby team for next season, and signed both the Super Rugby and NZRU contracts. Alarm bells have started ringing in recent days.

Williams has already told the Crusaders he will be leaving them, but speculation over whether he would join the Blues or Chiefs has taken a twist with the revelation he is not bound to sign for either team.

A number of issues are causing Williams to question his future. He has received minimal game time in the All Blacks' Tri Nations games, despite starring for the Crusaders.

Williams finished the Super Rugby season leading all players for offloads, was second to Cooper for linebreak assists, and was 13th overall for run metres.

No other Tri Nations centre came close to Williams's offload and linebreak assist figures.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry has been reluctant to split the successful centre pairing of Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith. But when he was courted by the All Blacks, Williams was told that if he performed well he would be given the opportunity to usurp the status quo, a major reason why he spurned multimillion dollar offers from elsewhere to chase his World Cup dream.

Questions also remain over Williams' decision to leave the Crusaders despite playing alongside All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw and five-eighth Daniel Carter.

It is known that Williams had been shaken by the deadly earthquakes that struck the city earlier this year and will force the Crusaders to again play their home games away next year with AMI Stadium badly damaged.

Williams's mother lives in Auckland, fuelling speculation he wants to move to the Blues - coincidentally where Nonu will be playing next year.

But Williams has previously enjoyed the Sydney lifestyle, having spent much of his early professional career here playing for the Bulldogs in the NRL. He is also extremely keen to play alongside Cooper. The two players share the same agent, Khoder Nasser.

Nasser would not be drawn into hypotheticals last night, only saying: ''We have given the NZRU an agreement that Sonny will be there next year.''

Nasser's plan was for Williams and Cooper to be presented as a dual package signing for NRL and overseas rugby clubs in 2013.

The possibility of Williams giving up his All Blacks jersey will cause waves in New Zealand one month out from the World Cup.
Cooper will jump to League in 2013 and I wouldnt be be surprised in SB does the same.
liger05 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #2837
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
How the hell can the Titans afford 6 highly paid players?
By getting rid of 14, 6 of which are highly paid players and when I say highly paid I dont mean Sandow money
teke is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #2838
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Big games of footy this weekend!
Warriors knights is a tough one that could leave the loser in a shaky position.

Go the rabbits! Another storming win this weekend and I might just have to believe that the finals are still within our grasp.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #2839
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
Big games of footy this weekend!
Warriors knights is a tough one that could leave the loser in a shaky position.

Go the rabbits! Another storming win this weekend and I might just have to believe that the finals are still within our grasp.
tigers have the panters, sharks and titans... we will win all 3 and you guys will miss out unless the knights or warriors have a brain snap
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #2840
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
How the hell can the Titans afford 6 highly paid players?
Idris, Prince, Myles, Bird....who are the other 2? Bailey and someone?
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #2841
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

gunna be a tough week for tippin' this week I reckon....Panthers/Tigers could go each way...same with Canberra/Souths and Bulldogs/Sharks...and Cow's/Broncs for that matter...
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #2842
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

...I tipped the Tige's anyway..
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #2843
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
tigers have the panters, sharks and titans... we will win all 3 and you guys will miss out unless the knights or warriors have a brain snap
Or Dragons lose all 4 matches and Souths win all 4 and finish on 30 competition points Dragons are on 29.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #2844
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
Champion??
wide_open_road is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #2845
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
The highly paid players for next year would probably be...Prince, Bailey, Harrison, Idris, Myles, Bird & Minichello, I would assume that's not diff to any other club.

I wouldnt think Titans scored Champion, Sezer or Douglas at a high rate
teke is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #2846
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
...I tipped the Tige's anyway..
yep, and he will not get sacked because league has become a hypocrisy in regard to player punishments

but if your a fringe player like Dane Laurie, you will get ousted by Gus after a single beer on the flight to NZ

elite players can do as they please, because they are too valuable, but if your a c level first grader then you might as well become a teetottler because one slip up and your done
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #2847
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
yep, and he will not get sacked because league has become a hypocrisy in regard to player punishments

but if your a fringe player like Dane Laurie, you will get ousted by Gus after a single beer on the flight to NZ

elite players can do as they please, because they are too valuable, but if your a c level first grader then you might as well become a teetottler because one slip up and your done
...it's just like Oporah's left tit...it ain't fair..and it ain't right..
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #2848
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
...it's just like Oporah's left tit...it ain't fair..and it ain't right..

Rodney - "It's not fair!"

Del Boy - "Neithers Frank Bruno's **** but you dont hear me going on about it"
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #2849
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
The loser of warriors/knights is the more likely scenario. Both teams have a hard run home. Hopefully it's the knights that lose and we end up playing them for a spot in the 8 last round.

A solid win this week, the ass back next week and we'll Rollin!
pecks is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #2850
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke View Post
The highly paid players for next year would probably be...Prince, Bailey, Harrison, Idris, Myles, Bird & Minichello, I would assume that's not diff to any other club.

I wouldnt think Titans scored Champion, Sezer or Douglas at a high rate
James would be middle range price as well. Lafranchi?

Idris wouldn't have been a cheap buy at all. Titans were already on report of salary cap breaches weren't they?
OZ Puncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum