Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
teemo16
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Most Damaging Single Punch- Cross or Hook?

Just out of curiousity, what punch in general inflicts the most damage? Just from working out on the heavy bag and unloading as hard as possible, it definitely seems to me (based on impact on the bag) that the left hook is my strongest punch. Is that considered pretty standard (since you are able to get your body the most into it)? Does this depend heavily on the boxer?
teemo16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Most Damaging Single Punch- Cross or Hook?

The one that lands
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Zhaakal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1285

Probably a ripping left to the body. If you hit that right then it's all over. At close quarters the left to the body and right uppercut are the best.

But to choose from a hook and a right cross... Realy depends on which you are better at executeing. I personally like the right cross more. Snaps the head back/knocks the guy down.
Zhaakal is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Depends on the fighter, really.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
Depends on the fighter, really.
Indeed. The punch almost no one likes receiving though, is an uppercut. Gravity keeps you from rolling with the punch
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
Indeed. The punch almost no one likes receiving though, is an uppercut. Gravity keeps you from rolling with the punch
Those can suck, yes. I think you can brace yourself and kind of absorb it or move with it depending on the angle it's coming in at.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo16
Just out of curiousity, what punch in general inflicts the most damage? Just from working out on the heavy bag and unloading as hard as possible, it definitely seems to me (based on impact on the bag) that the left hook is my strongest punch. Is that considered pretty standard (since you are able to get your body the most into it)? Does this depend heavily on the boxer?

Assuming you punch correctly, a hook will always generate more power than a full extension punch. Force equals mass times acceleration (f=ma) but the fist is already starting to decelerate once a full extension punch comes close to the end of its trajectory. The hook is still accelerating.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Mistadobalina
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

probably a left hook right at the point of the chin. it's hard to see coming, it's at a brutal angle, and a fully torqued left hook can be vicious. at least for the straight right, your neck can act as a shock absorber.
Mistadobalina is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think uppercuts and hooks are the most brutal, cause they come at a an angle outside of the field of vision. If you see the punch coming you can take it better.
Ethan Trims is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Griip
President of TFE

You have to define "most damagin". You can put a lot more weight behind a cross than with a hook. You can punch a cross faster than a hook(Not with more weight behind). Are you going to "damage" the head, or the body? Saying punching power is 1 variable is BS. Tyson hits hard as hell, so did Foreman, but there's a huge difference in the definition of "hard". You can hit heavy, with a lot of weight behind it, moving rocks. You can hit fast, like any lightweight, but you won't have a lot of weight behind the punch, often not enough for a headshot KO. Or you can make it special made for the place it's going to land, on what opponent and in what purpose etc etc.

Conclusion: Stupid question
Griip is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
teemo16
Journeyman

im simply asking that, on average, which punch generates the most "pounds per square inch" of force.

more of a scientific question i guess, and i realize it doesnt necessarily have much practical significance. i just seem to feel that my left hook generates the most force and wondering if that was normal
teemo16 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
lyraus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

probably a right, winging hook or looping overhand right for a conventional boxer would generate the most power because the punch is travelling a further distance going across your body. Plus, it was what Drago used to get 2000 psi!
lyraus is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
teemo16
Journeyman

good point. of course, he (remarkably) hit three times as hard as the average heavyweight, so maybe he is just an anomaly.
teemo16 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
Doomas
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo16
im simply asking that, on average, which punch generates the most "pounds per square inch" of force.

more of a scientific question i guess, and i realize it doesnt necessarily have much practical significance. i just seem to feel that my left hook generates the most force and wondering if that was normal
Scientificly right cross IMO, right cross was used in that Discovery channel show, messuring how much power generates middleweight (or was it super middleweight) and they came to conlusion that it can kill person instantly.
Doomas is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomas
Scientificly right cross IMO, right cross was used in that Discovery channel show, messuring how much power generates middleweight (or was it super middleweight) and they came to conlusion that it can kill person instantly.
ok? Which discovery channel show was this?
Little_Mac is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing