Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Louis v Marciano, peak for peak?

How different would the Louis plan be? I've never seen the fight, but for those of you who have, what do you think Louis would do differently?

Who is your pick?
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Louis v Marciano, peak for peak?

Louis jabbed and counter punched the Rock in there bout,which was a good stategy because you did'nt have to look hard for Marciano.A prime Louis no doubt would have been more aggresive.It would'nt surprise me to see this bout go either way.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

IMO Louis would do the usuall stratagy, stalk, walk behind the jab, and counter punch/let the punches go when on the inside. But the main problem is, Marciano would crowd him, and smother his reach, so Joe's jab would be neutralized to a certain extent, and I see Marciano bringing Joe into a brawl. I think Marciano would out slug and out work Louis, but would get very banged up in the process. If and when Marciano lands his left hook and drops Louis, Marciano will be all over him, and if the Suzie Q is landed flush, it is all over. But their is always the chance that it is stopped on swelling and cuts in Louis's favor. Gun to my head, I will say Marciano 6/10, although I am most likely in the minority here.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Louis, by mid-round TKO. Just too accurate, fast and deadly.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Mega Lamps
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The problem for Louis is that he would have less experience and would fight Rocky differently. He would go after Marciano and that could be a huge mistake. Close fight though but I think Marciano would have the edge.
Mega Lamps is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

The version of Louis who dismantled Godoy in their rematch would tear Marciano to ribbons IMHO. When I compare Joe's surgical dissection of Godoy against Jersey Joe's quick start in his first match with Marciano, I just don't see Rocky pulling it off.

Joe had a balance issue which led to him taking a few flash knockdowns, but at his peak, in top condition, he really could take a tremendous punch. His physical peak may have come against Max Baer, but he achieved his full evolution as a boxer when he took Godoy out. He may not have cared much for crowding and infighting, but he ultimately showed he could do it very well, while slowly giving ground as Charles did in his first bout with Rocky.

I'd give Dempsey a better chance against Louis because of Jack's reach, handspeed, mobility and boxing skill. Both Louis and Dempsey annihilated modern sized world class heavyweights. A declining Louis may have been the largest premier heavyweight Rocky faced off with.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Hmm.

Anthony Mundine TKO Joe Louis.

Anthony Mundine UD Marciano.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

A prime Louis slices Marciano up and stops him midway through the fight. The jab of Louis is what makes the difference, Hard fast and deadly accurate. The only way I see Rocky winning is if Louis gets careless and Rocky catches him with his Suzie Q. If not then it's Joe all the wat,
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
How different would the Louis plan be? I've never seen the fight, but for those of you who have, what do you think Louis would do differently?

Who is your pick?
I think Louis had a pretty sound gameplan for fighting Marciano. He actually had some success in the middle rounds offsetting Marciano's offense with some hard, fast, well-timed jabs down the pipe as Rocky was coming in, until Marciano looked to adjust a bit and Louis started to wear down, and then the rest is history.

You could see where a prime Louis could've executed, though. If he had had a touch better timing, more speed and pop on his counters, and better endurance like he would've had in his prime, and had fought the same gameplan, I have little doubt he would at the very least have taken Rocky to war. In fact, I'd make him the favorite.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Hmm.

Anthony Mundine TKO Joe Louis.

Anthony Mundine UD Marciano.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #11
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
He's just trolling at this point.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Louis by UD or stoppage on cuts

OR

Rocky by anytime KO. Never know. This would have been a good one. Much better than the actual fight. That was a sad way to go.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain

Who is your pick?
Well he wouldnt be backing up ,his jab would be faster ,and harder and he would be throwing his right ,which he didnt do against Rocky , along with eroded reflexes ,he was leery of Marcianos looping hook,with just the remnants of his jab and a slow left hook Louis gave Rocky problems and marked him up,I think he beats Marciano,Rocky fans will say Louis would be coming forward ,so Rocky would get him earlier,my money would be on the Bomber,not the Block buster.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Prime for Prime is one of thsos fights could go either way. There 51 fight had Rocky at his peak physical, but not relly prime, Marciano was pretty green vs a older come backing Joe Louis. Charle Goldman was still working on Marciano by the time the Louis fight came around. I think Marciano was mostly a finish fighter by LarSarza II.

Rocky Marciano would have been harder to hit in say 53, than he was in 51 though.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum