Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Terry Norris vs Winky Wright

i rate terry as the best 154 pounder ever. he threw some of the crispest combinations of the 90s, with blazing hand and foot speed. his chin was weak but underrated i think and his adaptability was pretty decent. he was suspecible to strong and sneaky punchers (jackson, brown) but was such a brilliant boxer when he wanted to be, this could be nullified. his dq losses showed he could be frustrated though and winky was definitely frustrating...

i see terry jumping on winky fast and stunning him, prompting wright to go into that goddamn shell of his. norris starts raking up points by outworking wright but isn't landing much of substance. by the 4th he's swept the rounds but is growing increasing annoyed at wright's defense and his body shots beginning straying south of the border. winky himself starts sneaky into counter shorts and though terry throws more, wrights punches actually land cleaner

by the 6th, norris has received a warning and a point deduction for low blows and wright begins opening up. the fight is even on the cards by the eight and wright starts putting more beef behind his punches. terry, surprisingly stunned, starts boxing and moving, keeping his jab square in wrights face. he takes round 9 and 10 with this but winky comes back hard in the 11th, walking terry down and doing some solid work against the ropes

it's all up for grabs in the 12th and both fighters let it all hang out. winky is more conservative with his punches and though they land cleanly, norris' faster hands and combinations see him squeak the round

Norris MD Wright

Last edited by Jorodz; 01-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

good match up,hard to call,i go for winky on a split decision..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I don't think Winky's style would work that well against someone as sharp, fast, active and well rounded as Terry Norris. Norris was very hard to outbox, i never really saw that many people outbox him and if you couldn't hurt him you were in serious trouble. I don't think Wright would hurt Terry enough. Norris would decision Winky and take about 8 rounds.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

Winky could definitely walk him down.
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
I don't think Winky's style would work that well against someone as sharp, fast, active and well rounded as Terry Norris. Norris was very hard to outbox, i never really saw that many people outbox him and if you couldn't hurt him you were in serious trouble. I don't think Wright would hurt Terry enough. Norris would decision Winky and take about 8 rounds.
Agreed buddy !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Norris by UD.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Winky was a huge lmw and was at least as busy if not busier than Norris - remember, he threw around 1,000 punches against Soliman - was very strong, had a very good defencechin and jab. This is by no means an easy fight for Norris. Norris certainly had more variety, more power, better combinations but a better workrate? I donīt think though. Winky was not a spoiler or defensive fighter. He would come at you with his defense up and walk you down while consistently pumping a very hard, very acurate jab. This is not the Winky who lost to Hopkins and Williams but the one who dominated Mosley and Trinidad. Wright has a very good chance here.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
Vantage_West
ヒップホップ·プロデューサー
East Side VIP

well back in the mid 90's winky was more of a slickster/mover. and paid the price of it against vaszquez.
if that winky turned up i think norris would cut him down and destroy him. but obviously we are talking about the urban assault vehicle style of his later career. rocket proof guard and solid aa gun of a right jab.

i dont think norris is going to stick it out on the outside like other guys. but he should use both aspects. winky is hard to fight becaue of his solid pressure and technique while using a mostly outside fight set of punches. and even if you get inside of him his southpaw stance means that he is further to hit than being inside his jab unlike other southpaws. and the left cross is sneaky and has a bit of a crunch to it. unlike vargas who thought if he just outmuscle him he would fall down. i think norris would box and move to not keep wrights feet set then throw some combinations then bounce out. i feel like he can do that for most of the fight.

key weapon would be the left uppercut to get through the peekaboo guard while also being primed to throw a right cross

i guess because he knows winky is going to frustrate him i think terry might just keep it composed. when he fought guys who didnt do what he wanted after a while he got fed up. and balls up sometimes i.e. simon brown I, vincent pettway, santana etc. but if his corner tell him that he has everything to beat him and not to get worried about winning the jabbing match then he should

goes to the decision could be a very bland jab and clinch affair or might be the opposite and becomes a chess match full of feints to get the other guy to commit. and having to change tactics every 4 rounds to not get the other guy used to the others approach. interesting match up nonetheless and very winnable from both men

strange how norris is only 3 years older than wright. and when terry had to retire winky came to the forefront.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

BlueApollo is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #11
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Terry has the speed to beat Wright on a decision. Terry UD.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum