Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Incidently Burley also made the Ring's Top 100 Greatest Punchers of All Time, came in at 86.
Really? I did not know that.

And those boys know nearly as much about boxing as I do.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #17
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
50% is shyte!!! lol
Greater than. Greater than 50% - if a fighter has a greater than 50% KO ratio he's worth a look. Looking at Burley's level of competition, and the amount of time he spent outside his comfort zone (As in the welterweight division) his record speaks for itself, entirely.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #18
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Greater than. Greater than 50% - if a fighter has a greater than 50% KO ratio he's worth a look. Looking at Burley's level of competition, and the amount of time he spent outside his comfort zone (As in the welterweight division) his record speaks for itself, entirely.
Well he was good enough to hit 86 with the esteemed Ring Mag, not too bad.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #19
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 238
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

I think you have Marciano too low. This is pound for pound right? The man knocked out every single ranked contender he ever fought, no one did that. Most of his opposition had a size advantage over him. He may not look pretty but he gets the job done better than anyone else. I think he's mandatory for the top10, unless you can list me 10 others who knocked every ranked opponent out they fought and had more than a few fights against them.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #20
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Well he was good enough to hit 86 with the esteemed Ring Mag, not too bad.
Ahh the Ring Magazine.

I only buy their "100 Greatest Whatever" lists to get myself angry.Their American bias is pathetic sometimes.

I remember they did a list of the top 20 middleweights of all time and they only managed to squeeze in about 14 U.S fighters including guys like Billy Conn who barely fought at 160.I bought it in good faith to see where the great Les Darcy was ranking these days and was quite shocked to see that he couldn't even crack the top 20.

That said it's still a good magazine but it just needs to realise that there is a world outside the U.S.

Last edited by good right hand; 09-14-2006 at 05:38 AM.
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #21
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo
Ahh the Ring Magazine.

I only buy their "100 Greatest Whatever" lists to get myself angry.Their American bias is pathetic sometimes.

I remember they did a list of the top 20 middleweights of all time and they only managed to squeeze in about 14 U.S fighters including guys like Billy Conn who barely fought at 160.I bought it in good faith to see were the great Les Darcy was ranking these days and was quite shocked to see that he couldn't even crack the top 20.

That said it's still a good magazine but it just needs to realise that there is a world outside the U.S.
Totally follow what ya saying mate. The punchers list was mostly good.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Well he was good enough to hit 86 with the esteemed Ring Mag, not too bad.
I found that list, & they too had Burley above Jones - I would guess it's a technical issue, as it is for me.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #23
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I think you have Marciano too low. This is pound for pound right? The man knocked out every single ranked contender he ever fought, no one did that. Most of his opposition had a size advantage over him. He may not look pretty but he gets the job done better than anyone else. I think he's mandatory for the top10, unless you can list me 10 others who knocked every ranked opponent out they fought and had more than a few fights against them.
OK - I hear you. And no, I can't name someone with his record for KO's - but Rocky was a horrible puncher, horrible, the man would sometimes fall over when he threw punches. I think his ranking is fine for this reason - Rocky's punching left him horribley vulnerable to counters & many of the punches he threw were absolutley useless.

If Rocky didn't have such extraodrinary stamina, he wouldn't even have beeen champ, never mind on a list such as this.

But in recognition of sheer volume and the fact that most of what he threw was hard, he should be named amongst the best punchers ever to have fought. But that should be good enough.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #24
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I found that list, & they too had Burley above Jones - I would guess it's a technical issue, as it is for me.
They mention his penchant for caution.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
They mention his penchant for caution.
Burley or Jones? Both were overly cautious in my view, for very different reasons.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #26
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Burley or Jones? Both were overly cautious in my view, for very different reasons.
Jones, gotta go to bed but if i remember tomorrow night i will write you up some of what they say about Burley. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Tho short it's a good read.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #27
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,420
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Jones, gotta go to bed but if i remember tomorrow night i will write you up some of what they say about Burley. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Tho short it's a good read.
I'll look forward to it.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #28
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I'll look forward to it.
Consider it done then, prolly about a couple of hours before this time right now, hmmm, damn lets just say in about 23 hours or a little less

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #29
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dracula Mountain.
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 224
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

i know wilde is thought high of but i know very little of him and his career, staring at his record doesn't help me. anyone willing to educate me a little?
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #30
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: My 20 Greatest Composite Punchers, All Time

Ahem, Ike Williams!
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013