Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: ID the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Dempsey it has to be. All those who saw him mentioned his amazing deltoids and
developed shoulders, that would make a 220 pound fighter proud. i laugh when modern pundits mistakenly say at 187-193 Dempsey was too small for the behomiths of today.Dempsey and Joe Louis FEASTED on bigger men...Their explosive punches would
get their "fustess" and most often, and goodbye baby...What nature gives, it takes away.
It is William Harrison, his biceps were as big as Liston's.
Boucher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

It is dempsey but its a distorted picture out of proportion. It looks like its been touched up. The shadows are in the wrong place unless there was two suns out that day! the wrists, forarms and hands do not belong to that neck or waist. its a bad picture. maybe it is stretch man armstrong?
choklab is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Guys you are right it is Dempsey!!

And no, there is not doctoring done to this photo. It's a still from some nice quality footage I have of Dempsey. In one clip, Dempsey looks at the camera, flexes his biceps, turns around and flexes like this. At first when I watched, it was easy to look over this moment because he flexes real fast and stops right away as if not to show off or something. And with old footage its easy to overlook things when not watching with the proper mentality and vision. But I looked back and realized how muscular he was, and had to show you guys. I believe this is before his Willard bout. You can consider it a prime Dempsey. Ill try to take a screen shot of the frame before, and after this one. The one thats in the OP, is the frame in which his muscles are flexed the most, because like I said he does it very quickly.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
Guys you are right it is Dempsey!!

And no, there is not doctoring done to this photo. It's a still from some nice quality footage I have of Dempsey. In one clip, Dempsey looks at the camera, flexes his biceps, turns around and flexes like this. At first when I watched, it was easy to look over this moment because he flexes real fast and stops right away as if not to show off or something. And with old footage its easy to overlook things when not watching with the proper mentality and vision. But I looked back and realized how muscular he was, and had to show you guys. I believe this is before his Willard bout. You can consider it a prime Dempsey. Ill try to take a screen shot of the frame before, and after this one. The one thats in the OP, is the frame in which his muscles are flexed the most, because like I said he does it very quickly.
that explains it! when you freeze frame on old footage the flickers distort the view. the moving pictures of this would be impresive. his hands being further back than his head and closer to the camera makes them apear like a cartoon character with expanding limbs.

no doubt jack was a fine athelete perfect for boxing.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
that explains it! when you freeze frame on old footage the flickers distort the view. the moving pictures of this would be impresive. his hands being further back than his head and closer to the camera makes them apear like a cartoon character with expanding limbs.

no doubt jack was a fine athelete perfect for boxing.

I hear ya, well im uploading a short video now, so you guys can judge for yourselves
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERr_4UZ2_Do[/ame]

You guys can pause throughout the video at the end to recreate the images I put before it.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #22
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post
You may be right, Burt... but doesn't the guy in the photo appear to have even bigger arms and delts than Dempsey? He looks absolutely huge - so I wonder if reznick can confirm, that this really is Dempsey??
B, that is him. i have back home pictures of Dempsey with the HUGE bulging deltoids muscles starting from the neck to the biceps...In an old Magazine from the late 1920s Jack was described as "amazingly" strong.
thus explaining his welterweight agility and heavyweight explosive power.
In a few Dempsey films,of him available today, after he kos someone Jack
would put his arms under his opponents armpits and lift this dead weight
from the canvas to his victims feet.Quite a feat of strength, if i could use a pun...B, the man in his prime was a force of nature, along with Joe Louis. the two best heavyweights in their peaks...Ideal weights for a heavyweight
but not for a wrestler...Cheers B...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #23
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You guys can pause throughout the video at the end to recreate the images I put before it.
Rez, good show. Thanks....
Old 01-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree Burt, every account I hear of someone who seen Dempsey in his prime say he was a freak of nature. If you look at him in other clips hes like a stone.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

damn, really makes you reconsider the starving, unathletic boxcar hobo image of dempsey that many (myself included) have held for years
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
Rasch

vCash:

Wow!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #27
Bukkake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Very impressive indeed!
Bukkake is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #28
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Jack Sharkey once said that Dempsey wherever he would hit you, it would cause pain.
He had great torque behind his punches, even less than a foot away...
Many years ago i saw a great boxing documentary, called "kings Of The Ring",about
1945. in a full sized screen the audience was amazed at some moments of Dempsey in the Firpo fight...One scene shows Dempsey and Firpo, in a virtual clinch. Jack frees his
deadly left hand from Firpo's clutches, and shoots 10 or so left hook-uppercuts so fast
on Firpo's jaw,that left the audience breathless...Say what you want about the Wild Bull of The Pampas,he was strong, but what Dempsey did was amazing. Another scene I have never forgotten, was the knockout in the second round...It shows Dempsey less than a foot away,hitting Firpo with a blurring left and right, that even in slow motion it is hard to detect, but these two punches pole-axed Firpo,and put him on his back...My dad who
was around in Dempsey's time, but didn't see him fight said to me",Burt,now you know
why he was a "man killer". Dempsey came out of the brutal mining camps of the west,
and it made him a tough, tough fighting machine, before the GOOD Hollywood life,and
a 3 year layoff took away his pantherlike greatness...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Jack Sharkey once said that Dempsey wherever he would hit you, it would cause pain.
He had great torque behind his punches, even less than a foot away...
Many years ago i saw a great boxing documentary, called "kings Of The Ring",about
1945. in a full sized screen the audience was amazed at some moments of Dempsey in the Firpo fight...One scene shows Dempsey and Firpo, in a virtual clinch. Jack frees his
deadly left hand from Firpo's clutches, and shoots 10 or so left hook-uppercuts so fast
on Firpo's jaw,that left the audience breathless...Say what you want about the Wild Bull of The Pampas,he was strong, but what Dempsey did was amazing. Another scene I have never forgotten, was the knockout in the second round...It shows Dempsey less than a foot away,hitting Firpo with a blurring left and right, that even in slow motion it is hard to detect, but these two punches pole-axed Firpo,and put him on his back...My dad who
was around in Dempsey's time, but didn't see him fight said to me",Burt,now you know
why he was a "man killer". Dempsey came out of the brutal mining camps of the west,
and it made him a tough, tough fighting machine, before the GOOD Hollywood life,and
a 3 year layoff took away his pantherlike greatness...

Very interesting, thanks for this. I'll try to get a hold of the doc.

Ray Arcel who marveled at Dempsey's physique in his prime saying hes the "finest heavyweight i ever saw.", said that when he saw the Carpentier fight live, Dempsey was no longer in his prime. And Arcel, being who he was, could tell that right away. I have some nice quality footage of the left hook that floored Willard for the first time for my upcoming Top 20 HW highlight. Have you guys seen Willard in the 4th round? On my film, his entire face is covered in blood. Its everywhere, blood all over him. I think Willard has one of the greatest hearts in boxing history. Call me crazy.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Very interesting, thanks for this. I'll try to get a hold of the doc.

Ray Arcel who marveled at Dempsey's physique in his prime saying hes the "finest heavyweight i ever saw.", said that when he saw the Carpentier fight live, Dempsey was no longer in his prime. And Arcel, being who he was, could tell that right away. I have some nice quality footage of the left hook that floored Willard for the first time for my upcoming Top 20 HW highlight. Have you guys seen Willard in the 4th round? On my film, his entire face is covered in blood. Its everywhere, blood all over him. I think Willard has one of the greatest hearts in boxing history. Call me crazy.
Rez, your zest for boxing history goes way beyond your years. And no sport has such a glorious past...The torch is passed to young people like you.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum