Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #31
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: ID the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
Very interesting, thanks for this. I'll try to get a hold of the doc.

Ray Arcel who marveled at Dempsey's physique in his prime saying hes the "finest heavyweight i ever saw.", said that when he saw the Carpentier fight live, Dempsey was no longer in his prime. And Arcel, being who he was, could tell that right away. I have some nice quality footage of the left hook that floored Willard for the first time for my upcoming Top 20 HW highlight. Have you guys seen Willard in the 4th round? On my film, his entire face is covered in blood. Its everywhere, blood all over him. I think Willard has one of the greatest hearts in boxing history. Call me crazy.
Let us know when the vids ready Rez
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #32
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Thank you Burt, that really means a lot coming from you

And Jack, I will have it up soon my friend. I have been working long hours to get the best footage possible for this one. I promise it will be worth the wait!
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #33
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Here's another couple of pics of Dempsey's serious back-pack - you've probably seen them before but pretty scary all the same - you really wouldn't want to get in the way of this guy when he throwing bombs with everything he's got - you can just imagine the kind of damage he could do just from seeing these

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

this pic's a little newer to me but a great pic all the same

RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #34
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

Wait a minute...I thought you could only get a body like that by using steroids and going to Golds Gym. I thought the old timers didn't know enough about training and nutrition to properly prepare a fighter...So much for that line of thought eh?
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #35
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

this is funny.dempsey really is strong at 185 for comparasion,wlad at 245 has way bigger back and is leaner
foreman,wlad,lewis,liston...they would all treat dempsey like a ragdoll in clinches
ticar is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #36
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticar View Post
this is funny.dempsey really is strong at 185 for comparasion,wlad at 245 has way bigger back and is leaner
foreman,wlad,lewis,liston...they would all treat dempsey like a ragdoll in clinches
Yes, but the "ragdoll',would unleash ,vicious hooks, crosses,and uppercuts
that put,Firpo, Morris, Fulton, Willard flat on their back not SOON AFTER.
And before Foreman, Klitchko,and Foreman would reach Joe Louis with their
ponderous weight lifting punches,Louis would have reached their jaw with
his blurring combinations,and they would be in la la land like Abe Simon'or Primo Carnera, big boys every bit as rugged as Foreman or Klitschko.
Yes Foreman was a powerful man but he did not hit with the trip hammer combos of a Dempsey or Joe Louis.The old adage that "speed kills", and
for example I must cite, Ray Robinson as a Welterweight ,was so great was his blurring handspeed, that constantly would beat his more muscular
opponents to the punch.What good is strength if a Dempsey or Louis beats you to the punch ? Zilch ...They feasted on bigger slower men. Dempsey or Louis both flatten Foreman or Klitschko, but the smaller faster young Mike Tyson, with his early punching speed would pose a greater threat in the early rounds IMO...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #37
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah just like 245lb Willard did - gaze in awe at the way the giant Jess Willard treats Dempsey like a ragdoll - look at the way 245lb Jess Willard pounds Dempsey around the ring - it really is man against boy!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eha9nEcrMqQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyj1JKKiBT8[/ame]

by comparison look at the massive overpowering size and immense modern strength of the gigantic super athelete Vladimir Klitschko shown physically dominating a selection of massive powerhouse legends of boxing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqEANlBbhsA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXlSfoPzWc&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RylOgj0KtqY&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaZGQK3zVxQ&feature=related[/ame]
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #38
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Yeah just like 245lb Willard did - gaze in awe at the way the giant Jess Willard treats Dempsey like a ragdoll - look at the way 245lb Jess Willard pounds Dempsey around the ring - it really is man against boy!!!!

by comparison look at the massive overpowering size and immense modern strength of the gigantic super athelete Vladimir Klitschko shown physically dominating a selection of massive powerhouse legends of boxing

Rocky, too many of todays fans are so frusteratingly wrong to attribute size and massive muscles, to greatness as a heavyweight. if that were the case the
best alltime heavyweights would be weightlifters and body builders...Common sense and history teaches us that this is not so.It is speed of hand, along with
leverage,and dexterity,along with stamina,that makes a great heavyweight.
Nat Fleischer, who saw all the great heavyweights since Jeffries always
contended that any man of 190-200 pounds was big enough to beat any larger man provided they had the talent..He was absolutely correct. What
large bulk a 240-50 pound giant has , must reduce their dexterity and hand
speed,compared to a Dempsey, Louis,a Tyson, An Ali....All four in my opinion
had superior speed which would nullify the sheer bulk of the modern behomoth's. And better stamina to boot...as I posted before, the greatest fighter I ever saw ringside ,Ray Robinson ,was not as strong as many of his
opponents, but because of his blazing handspeed and leverage, got to his
opponents,quicker and with great leverage, and so would a Dempsey, Louis,
get to the slower bigger modern heavyweight giants...
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #39
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

One punch to the stomach and you will all of a sudden see a Wladimir who is the same height as dempsey
reznick is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #40
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yes dempsey has a serious chance of knocking wlad out,but i'm not talking about that,i'm just saying that imo is funny to say how dempsey is so strong etc.,when you have guys like i mentioned who are far stronger than him
ticar is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #41
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Yes, but the "ragdoll',would unleash ,vicious hooks, crosses,and uppercuts
that put,Firpo, Morris, Fulton, Willard flat on their back not SOON AFTER.
And before Foreman, Klitchko,and Foreman would reach Joe Louis with their
ponderous weight lifting punches,Louis would have reached their jaw with
his blurring combinations,and they would be in la la land like Abe Simon'or Primo Carnera, big boys every bit as rugged as Foreman or Klitschko.
Yes Foreman was a powerful man but he did not hit with the trip hammer combos of a Dempsey or Joe Louis.The old adage that "speed kills", and
for example I must cite, Ray Robinson as a Welterweight ,was so great was his blurring handspeed, that constantly would beat his more muscular
opponents to the punch.What good is strength if a Dempsey or Louis beats you to the punch ? Zilch ...They feasted on bigger slower men. Dempsey or Louis both flatten Foreman or Klitschko, but the smaller faster young Mike Tyson, with his early punching speed would pose a greater threat in the early rounds IMO...
It's true about Robinson but for all his talent and power he could not dent Joey Maxim. There are realistic parameters when fantasy hits the wall ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #42
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
yes dempsey has a serious chance of knocking wlad out,but i'm not talking about that,i'm just saying that imo is funny to say how dempsey is so strong etc.,when you have guys like i mentioned who are far stronger than him
Yes, And the world weightlifting champions can clean and jerk Foreman ,Kkitschko, and their trainers for good measure without a sweat.These guys can lift the weight of 2 Foremans simply, as they lift 550 pounds over their heads .So by your analysis they in a clinch ,would handle George or Vlad like a "ragdoll". Oh well !
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #43
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
It's true about Robinson but for all his talent and power he could not dent Joey Maxim. There are realistic parameters when fantasy hits the wall ...
he, yes there are precedents for Dempsey,and Joe Louis, to overcome these parameters.They are Carl Morris, Fred Fulton, Jess Willard, Primo Carnera, Abe Simon, Buddy Baer,each of them 30 to 50 pounds heavier than Jack or Joe. No big man that ever lived ,regardless of size could repeatedly withstand the powerful punches with blurring speed, of a Louis or Dempsey, unless they knew how to box and ride withe the punches as a Joey Maxim
did against Robinson.Foreman and Klitschko, and all the above dreadnoughts
did not have those skills...
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #44
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Weird thread. It's like some people here only just realized Jack Dempsey had muscles.

Actually, I thought it wasn't Dempsey at first. I thought the neck in the first pic looked too skinny to be Dempsey's.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #45
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Weird thread. It's like some people here only just realized Jack Dempsey had muscles.

Actually, I thought it wasn't Dempsey at first. I thought the neck in the first pic looked too skinny to be Dempsey's.
The in shape Dempsey was ripped. Too many photos of him exist after his long break when he started to come back and was much thinner .... his muscle tone shrank ... the man who fought Willard , Miske, Carpentier was coiled steel ... he was basically a one inch shorter version of Holyfield as a cruiser ... lean, lanky, long armed, narrow hipped and ripped .. while I do debate his actual accomplishments there is no doubt the 1919-21 version was a lightning fast, murderous punching, legit badass ..
he grant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum