Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650
Arrow If I was Haye I'd push for 70% against Wlad.

Lets look at what Wlad and Haye earned for their respective bum fights, Harrison and Peter.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
Haye is guaranteed a £3m purse while Harrison's take-home pay will be at least £1m. Those numbers will rise to £5m for the champion and £3m for the challenger as soon as Sky Box Office pay-TV purchases rise to half a million.

One Sky source says: 'It will not surprise us if this does well over 600,000 buys.' If so, at £14.95 each, that would earn at least £9m with ticket sales, ancillary broadcasting rights, advertising, programme, merchandising and other revenue still to come. Although the capital would have seemed the natural venue for a big fight between two very large south Londoners, the financial impact for Manchester is expected to exceed £15m.
Various sources report PPV to have done 700k-800k ppv buys.

Since most report 800k I'll use that figure for argument sake.

Haye recieved £1.5 million from ticket sales.

800,000 x £15 = £12 million from SKY.
The standard deal with sky (£5 for every PPV) means Haye got £4,000,000 ontop of his £3 million guaranteed purse = £7,000,000.
£1.5 million is generated from ticket sales.
Ancillary broadcasting rights, advertising, programme, merchandising and other revenues would bring in roughly £1,000,000.

Total pot (£15 million) converted to Euros = € 18 million
Guaranteed purse + TV = £7,000,000 + £2,500,000 tickets & extras = £9,500,000.

Converted to Euros = €11,390,000 total for Haymaker promotions.

Now let's look at what Wlad brought in vs Peter.

Quote:
RTL pays about € 3 million. International TV rights (over 116 countries) contributed to bring about 500,000 euros. Likewise, Ring and sports marketing. Around one million comes from ticket sales.
Makes a total of 5 million euros. Of this, first get the fighting Klitschko 3 million.
Of the remainder will be paid including the enemy, insurance (failure, Stadium), twelve weeks battle-preparation (including six Nobel Stanglwirt hotel in Kitzbühel) and trainer Emanuel Steward salary (about 200,000 € per fight). The four boxing organizations conceded 45000-9000 €. What is left, get the Klitschko company.
Total pot €5,000,000
Wlad's purse - €3,000,000 + €1,000,000 extras
€4,000,000 total for K2 promotions.

Now before anyone brings up "It's a battle of Britain of course the PPVs were high!!!" I'll just remind you Valuev done 800k ppvs and Ruiz 400k-600k depending on source.

Some of you may argue over the accuracy of the 800k ppv buys, but you'll be missing the point. Even if it was 600k PPV with ticket sales, merchandising etc lower Haye still generates a lot more.

A lot of sources are conflicting each other (Guaranteed purse inclusive of PPV sales or guaranteed purse + ppv sales on top) so it's hard to gauge 100% accuracy. It can be argued Haye earned anywhere from minimum €7,500,000 - €11,000,000+.

Another thing to factor in is that Wlad or Vitali won't increase the amount generated through TV, Haye does. Haye - K2 will most likely generate over 1 million ppvs (€18,000,000) with the fighters getting at least €6,600,000 (SKY pay €9 on every buy above 800k), K2 still only bring in €3,000,000.

I guess I'm just pissed off with all this "Haye is greedy", "Haye should be lucky to get 50%" bullshit. So I'm posting this as a reference to anyone who finds themselves in a similar debate in the future. Just direct them to this thread to shut them up quick.

The top article states Harrisons purse could rise to £3 million if ppv sales hit 500k, did he get a cut from SKY too?

Finally, I don't actually believe Haye should ask for 70%, I was just making a point.

Last edited by BoxingFanNo1; 01-16-2011 at 05:14 AM.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3533
Default Re: If I was Haye I'd push for 70% against Wlad.

It's cute that you did all those numbers, but the fact is that Haye needs to find his balls before any of that even matters.
Slyk is online now  Top
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
It's cute that you did all those numbers, but the fact is that Haye needs to find his balls before any of that even matters.
Explain.
Since the above is what mattered last July when negotiating.

Or are you one of the mindless "chicken" "ducker" "fraud" sheep that wander around these parts?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3533

Do you really not think Haye's PPV power will be severely diminished after Fraudley?

Haye's popularity is slipping and there's nothing wrong with getting 50% against the champion.
Slyk is online now  Top
Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Haye is guaranteed a £3m purse while Harrison's take-home pay will be at least £1m. Those numbers will rise to £5m for the champion and £3m for the challenger as soon as Sky Box Office pay-TV purchases rise to half a million.
Wasn't Harrison's purse at stake with the BBBoC "just" £1.5m -- So if the fight did 500k PPV shouldn't it have been £3m?

BoxingFanNo1, I guess the real comparison you'd have to make is what Haye makes vs. Chagaev (or whoever will be mandatory) @ 70% (30% for the mandatory) compared to fighting K2 @ 50%. Chagaev will probably get less PPV sales than whatever Ruiz did (less known name, harder to market) but Haye would get 70% in that fight vs 50% against the brothers. So it comes down to a higher percentage of a much smaller pot.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
Do you really not think Haye's PPV power will be severely diminished after Fraudley?

Haye's popularity is slipping and there's nothing wrong with getting 50% against the champion.
Of course not, Lewis had some stinkers but people still paid. Let's face it if any fight would put fans off it's the Valuev fight yet 400-600k still paid for Ruiz and 800k for Harrison. Haye will do minimum 400k against his next opponent, that still brings in more than either brother.

Put the brothers and Haye in against common opponents and Haye will make more everytime. Regardless, a large number of people will pay to see him vs a Klitschko in a unification fight, that's where his bargaing power lies.

Look at it like this, K2 chip in €3,000,000, Haye will chip in €7,000,000, that's split 50/50, Haye gets €5,000,000, that's less than he earned against Valuev and Harrison. The whole deal relies on what HBO/Showtime chip in.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Of course nobody would be paying to see Haye fight the Klistchko Brothers..they will be paying to see Haye..only Haye, all of Haye. Tune in England....David Haye..oh there might be a fight with the Heavyweight Champion as well.

The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Just threw together some numbers, I guess there's many things you can debate but at the end of the day @ 50% Haye will probably make twice as much from fighting a Klitschko brother than fighting a random contender -- same situation for the K brothers, they would make twice or maybe even three times as as much from fighting Haye than from fighting some random nobody:

Let me know where I am wrong/oversaw something, we can update this until we find the official and undisputable "ESB Haye-K2-revenues.XLS" spreadsheet
Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
Just threw together some numbers, I guess there's many things you can debate but at the end of the day @ 50% Haye will probably make twice as much from fighting a Klitschko brother than fighting a random contender:

I don't think you understand fully. When Haye fights the Klistchkos, England will not be buying the PPVS to see a Heavyweight Super Fight, they will be buying for this and this alone: He deserves every cent an Englishman pays for the fight, by god!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Wasn't Harrison's purse at stake with the BBBoC "just" £1.5m -- So if the fight did 500k PPV shouldn't it have been £3m?

BoxingFanNo1, I guess the real comparison you'd have to make is what Haye makes vs. Chagaev (or whoever will be mandatory) @ 70% (30% for the mandatory) compared to fighting K2 @ 50%. Chagaev will probably get less PPV sales than whatever Ruiz did (less known name, harder to market) but Haye would get 70% in that fight vs 50% against the brothers. So it comes down to a higher percentage of a much smaller pot.
That's why I asked the question at the bottom mad, I don't know.

For Chagaev lets take the same figures.

Lets go rock botton with PPV, 400k. That's £2,000,000 from sky. Add £1.5 million for tickets, £1.5 million from extras, total = £5 million. Haye's 70% would still be £3,500,000 or €4,200,000. It's still higher than what Wlad earned taking 90% from Peter.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
Lets go rock botton with PPV, 400k. That's £2,000,000 from sky. Add £1.5 million for tickets, £1.5 million from extras, total = £5 million. Haye's 70% would still be £3,500,000 or €4,200,000. It's still higher than what Wlad earned taking 90% from Peter.
Peter got 25/30% didn't he as he was considered a mandatory after Povetkin pulled out? Not sure. Anyways, I don't dispute Haye can make more money fighting a random nobody vs. the Klits fighting the same random nobody.

I just don't understand why this matters in discussing the "fair" split for Haye vs. K2?

At the end of the day both parties make more money fighting each other @ 50% than fighting anyone else @ 70/80%.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
speck
Milky Way Resident
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

What's this thread about? How overpaid a clown Haye is? How stupid the British public is in their pathetic attempt to put Haye on a national hero pedestal? Or OP's confession of complete own mental and moral degradation? Or maybe all of the above?
speck is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

"DAVID HAYE CAN DRAW A CROWD THIS BIG!"

Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
What's this thread about? How overpaid a clown Haye is? How stupid the British public is in their pathetic attempt to put Haye on a national hero pedestal? Or OP's confession of complete own mental and moral degradation? Or maybe all of the above?
"Because of the miracle of PPV in my homeland, I can make more money fighting a nobody than the Klistchkos can make fighting nobodies on German tv. Therefore if I fight a Klistchko before I retire..even though I'm done with those slavers...I deserve every English cent spent on the fight..because England will only be paying to see yours truly. Does that compute, nuthugger...gang rape..oh yeah."

Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Just threw together some numbers, I guess there's many things you can debate but at the end of the day @ 50% Haye will probably make twice as much from fighting a Klitschko brother than fighting a random contender -- same situation for the K brothers, they would make twice or maybe even three times as as much from fighting Haye than from fighting some random nobody:

Let me know where I am wrong/oversaw something, we can update this until we find the official and undisputable "ESB Haye-K2-revenues.XLS" spreadsheet

Unfortunatly I'm shit with spread sheets so you'll have to bare with me. I agree fighting a brother makes more money and sense but only if HBO get involved.

Gate £1,500,000
PPV (1 million) - £5,000,000
RTL - £2,500,000
Sponsorship + extras £2,000,000
HBO (guess) - £2,000,000

Total - £13,000,000, 50% = £6,500,000 or €7,800,000, still less/same as Harrison whereas Wlad/Vitali see a €2-3 million rise.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum