Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Vote!
Spinks 21 56.76%
Jones 14 37.84%
Addie, is the most overrated movie still guesser in the history of GTMSB 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Commando
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Vote on who has the better resume Jones or Spinks

Suck my troll dick, it's the official poll. Hows it going Addie?

Michael Spinks

Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
Larry Holmes x2
Yaqui Lopez
Marvin Johnson
Gerry Cooney
Dwight Muhammad Qawi

Steffen Tangstad
Mustafa Wassaja
Eddie Davis
Johnny Davis

Roy Jones Jr.

Bernard Hopkins
Antonio Tarver
John Ruiz
James Toney
Thomas Tate
Montell Griffin
Jorge Castro
Clinton Woods
Virgil Hill
Thulani Malinga
Reggie Johnson
Eric Harding
Merqui Sosa

Tony Thornton
Mike McCallum
Jorge Vaca
Julio Cesar Gonzalez
Vinny Pazienza

Last edited by Commando; 01-17-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Commando is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Vote on who has the better resume Jones or Spinks

You forgot to include Otis Grant, Richard Frazier, David Telesco, Bryant Brannon, and Eric Lucas among others for Jones. Such a stacked resume of world class fighters.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Commando
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Oh yeah you're right I also forgot to add

Jim MacDonald, Murray Sutherland x2, Jerry Celestine, David Sears, Oscar Rivadeneyra and Vonzell Johnson.....thank you man very much.
Commando is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Clearly Spinks has the better Heavyweight resume. but Jones started off as a Middleweight. Spinks unified the Championship, by beating Qawi. Then derhroning long time Heavyweight Champion Larry Holmes is very impressive.
Jones also was very impressive as a LightHeavyweight. He defeated many good fighters & defeated a Heavyweight Champion. A great achievement for a Middleweight... Both great fighters, with individual achievements. very hard to compare. But then again Spinks was never stopped below Heavyweight...
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Spinks clearly has the edge here, he dominated a deep LHW division moved up and dethroned a longstanding LHW Champion. Jones jumping from weight class to weight class has depth but when assessing his resume the quality of the win for Micheal Spinks outweigh the depth of Roy Jones Jr.'s resume.

2 things are clear;

1. This is obviously a loaded question as you've recycled your post from a different thread because you think Jones has a better resume than Spinks. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

2. Spinks had only fought in 2 weight classes and therefore comparing Jones's MW all the way to HW you'll be able to find more competitors to add on the list even though some of the names you've included are average to mediocre fighters at best and are better off excluded. And Where is Cooney under the Spinks column?

Last edited by ironchamp; 01-17-2011 at 11:28 AM.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483

It is not even close, Spinks was THE Light Heavyweight Champion in arguably the strongest era of the division.

Jones should of, could of, but never did. Glimpses of brilliance do not cut it in the long run. RJJ made the money, but lacks the credible resume to compare with the greats.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If i was just looking at the top few wins i would give it to Spinks but i think Jones takes it on depth here.
If i was just looking at LHW then obviously Spins takes it again but Jones movement up the weight classes makes some of his wins more impressive.
The Holmes wins is better than any of Joneses wins Then Qawi is comparable with Toney and after that i think Jones wins become more impressive in comparison although the Muhammad and Johnson wins are still pretty damned special.

I think i would have Spinks higher if i changed my criteria rather than my opinion on him. Both great fighters .
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
It is not even close, Spinks was THE Light Heavyweight Champion in arguably the strongest era of the division.

Jones should of, could of, but never did. Glimpses of brilliance do not cut it in the long run. RJJ made the money, but lacks the credible resume to compare with the greats.
Thats what I think too. Jones chose to follow the money instead of glory. Anyway, like I wrote in another thread, compare their Top5 wins and itīs easily Spinks, compare their Top10 and itīs close, compate their Top15 and itīs Jones.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

As I explained on a different thread the other day, I go with Michael Spinks.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Thats what I think too. Jones chose to follow the money instead of glory. Anyway, like I wrote in another thread, compare their Top5 wins and itīs easily Spinks, compare their Top10 and itīs close, compate their Top15 and itīs Jones.
Jones rarely met anyone on the top of their game. Even the Toney fight, it could be suggested James had peaked, and lost that edge.

Spinks came into his biggest fights as an underdog in many peoples eyes. Qawi was in simply awesome form, and although 35, Holmes was 48-0 and history tells you reigning Light Heavyweight Champs, never win the Heavyweight crown...

Spinks gave up his early years as a pro to injury and helping Neon. Jones made a good start, but let his dad have too much influence, and wasted early momentum.

Spinks fought the best on offer in his pomp. Jones was to interested in gimmicks, playing basketball, and names that made him money, rather than the fighters that would help give him credibility to his future resume.

Also look at the tough fights, Spinks won his, if everything was not going right for Jones in a bout, he found a way to lose.

Jones should of finished his career being compared to Robinson, instead he is being compared to Spinks, unfavourable...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Jones rarely met anyone on the top of their game. Even the Toney fight, it could be suggested James had peaked, and lost that edge.

Spinks came into his biggest fights as an underdog in many peoples eyes. Qawi was in simply awesome form, and although 35, Holmes was 48-0 and history tells you reigning Light Heavyweight Champs, never win the Heavyweight crown...

Spinks gave up his early years as a pro to injury and helping Neon. Jones made a good start, but let his did have to much influence, and wasted early momentum.

Spinks fought the best on offer in his pomp. Jones was to interested in gimmicks, playing basketball, and names that made him money, rather than fighters helped give him credibility to his future resume.

Also look at the tough fights, Spinks won his, if everything was not going right for Jones in a bout, he found a way to lose...
All true but nevertheless in terms of depth itīs Jones IMO. He fought over a longer time and more divisions and so just added more names on his resume. At the Top Spinks has the better resume, no doubt, the deeper you go the more the odds change to Jonesī favour. It depends what you like I guess and what you factor in. For example, is it more worth to become the champ in two divisions or winning belts in 4? Like I said in another thread, I go with Jones since going up from mw to hw and beating a decent contender there is just great. I wonīt argue with people who have Spinks ahead. Itīs close and depends what you prefer. Most of the time I go with longevity and unique achievements as the decider, thatīs why for itīs Jones.

Something went terribly wrong here though, Iīm the resident Jones-hater and defend him here?

edit:
I absolutly agree with you. Iīm so dissapointed in him, same goes for Mayweather, Tyson and Hamed - who all could have done much more too but didnīt.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Holmes was clearly past his prime, not to mention defeated rather mediocre opposition (Jones' reign looks better than Holmes') and should have had 2 losses on his record before facing Spinks. How that is better than Jones' win over Toney, I don't know...
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Holmes was clearly past his prime, not to mention defeated rather mediocre opposition (Jones' reign looks better than Holmes') and should have had 2 losses on his record before facing Spinks. How that is better than Jones' win over Toney, I don't know...
Not least because Holmes could fight at his natural weight. He did not have to figuratively kill himself to make the same weight as Spinks and then put 10/15lbs on overnight...

Spinks winning was very much a minority pick, Toney/Jones was a classic pick'em. And if Holmes should not of been 'and 0', neither should of Toney (McCallum, Johnson, Tiberi, Sosa, Williams). The reality was both were!
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Toney was either #2 or #1 P4P at the time, undefeated champ at two weight. Holmes was at the time (or taking his career as a whole) a 35-years old heavyweight titlist with an average career. Odds have little to do with the significance of a fight.
Senya13 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum