Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Happy birthday Muhammad Ali - Il est soixante-neuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvoce View Post
we got a sweepstake at our local of which celebrity will die 1st in the new year ive gone for ali.
Very tasteful.
Boucher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Who's the babe in the top photo ?
His daughter.

Happy Bday champ!
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
alexvoce

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
You ****ing bitter cunt.
alrite calm down its a sweepstake i thought that was a viable option.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
hadn't seen any recent pics but very very bad news if the above is true - lost my dad from a very similar thing over the new year so it would be quite poignant for me - i think back to when me and my dad met Muhammad back in the early 90's - it was a very moving moment for my dad who gave Ali a big and very teary hug - hope he hangs in there - may your god bless you Muhammad - one of the true legends of boxing history - happy birthday champ - you're still the greatest of all tiiiiimes!!!
Sorry for your loss. Touching anecdote. Good tribute to the champ on his day!
prime is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #20
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
hadn't seen any recent pics but very very bad news if the above is true - lost my dad from a very similar thing over the new year so it would be quite poignant for me - i think back to when me and my dad met Muhammad back in the early 90's - it was a very moving moment for my dad who gave Ali a big and very teary hug - hope he hangs in there - may your god bless you Muhammad - one of the true legends of boxing history - happy birthday champ - you're still the greatest of all tiiiiimes!!!
I met him in the early 90's too. It was quite a moment.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Happy birthday Ali!
It was 69 years ago today......was born the greatest,Cassius Clay !!!
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Dont like the guy
who would have guessed that from you ??
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #23
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali's imminent demise has been predicted for decades. However, genetics ought to be factored into this equation. His hard drinking father died of a heart attack at age 77, as did his devoutly Baptist clean living mother Odessa four years later. Muhammad may simply be genetically hard wired to live to a certain age regardless.

In any event, he's outlived a number of fellow former champs, like Louis (66), Max Baer (50), Carnera (60), Sullivan (59), Fitz (54), Hart (55), Charles (53) and Corbett (66). Braddock passed at 69. (Of course those who prematurely died of unnatural causes like Johnson, Marciano and Liston should not be considered here.)

Considering the fact that Ali was taking punches from age 12 until bordering on age 40, he's had a respectable life span. (Bennie Briscoe just died at 67, and he was still in excellent physical condition when he retired.)

From what I gather, he's enjoying a rather happy retirement even with his physical compromises. He's been extremely adamant about the fact that he not be an object of pity or sympathy. (This is how Frazier gets his revenge these days, by openly pitying Ali while wheelchair bound himself.) Ali's mind is fully intact, and he's long since reversed early animosity into institutional mainstream adoration.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I met him in the early 90's too. It was quite a moment.
You in England? I'm guessing you are - but I'm guessing you might be in Liverpool? Where about's did you meet him? Was it when he was touring his Thomas Hauser biog?
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post
Ali's imminent demise has been predicted for decades. However, genetics ought to be factored into this equation. His hard drinking father died of a heart attack at age 77, as did his devoutly Baptist clean living mother Odessa four years later. Muhammad may simply be genetically hard wired to live to a certain age regardless.

In any event, he's outlived a number of fellow former champs, like Louis (66), Max Baer (50), Carnera (60), Sullivan (59), Fitz (54), Hart (55), Charles (53) and Corbett (66). Braddock passed at 69. (Of course those who prematurely died of unnatural causes like Johnson, Marciano and Liston should not be considered here.)

Considering the fact that Ali was taking punches from age 12 until bordering on age 40, he's had a respectable life span. (Bennie Briscoe just died at 67, and he was still in excellent physical condition when he retired.)

From what I gather, he's enjoying a rather happy retirement even with his physical compromises. He's been extremely adamant about the fact that he not be an object of pity or sympathy. (This is how Frazier gets his revenge these days, by openly pitying Ali while wheelchair bound himself.) Ali's mind is fully intact, and he's long since reversed early animosity into institutional mainstream adoration.
Good post mate Yes,Ali's probably a lot more content,and happy with life than Joe Frazier is.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #26
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You in England? I'm guessing you are - but I'm guessing you might be in Liverpool? Where about's did you meet him? Was it when he was touring his Thomas Hauser biog?
I'm based in London,Rocky. Nothing to do with THAT Stevie G Yes,it was on his Thomas Hauser book tour. October 1992. I'll never forget it.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Sorry for your loss mate
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #28
alexvoce

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post

well for started smokin joe is not wheelchair bound and he seemed happy enough at the lights out premiere
Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Dont like the guy
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
well for starters smokin joe is not wheelchair bound and he seemed happy enough at the lights out premiere
Very glad to know. This article from less than a year ago gave a slightly different impression:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Lobotomy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum