Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #31
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Happy birthday Muhammad Ali - Il est soixante-neuf

This sunny morning as I was driving and listening to one Stefani Germanotta, I suddenly felt moved to intone "Happy Birthday" to a man not in the car, a man I may never meet.

It is plainly weird to come onto a boxing website to express admiration for the 3-time heavyweight champion from Louisville and run into quasi aggression, ridicule and nonsense. But time is teaching me that it is merely --like Aesop's foolishly aggrandized toad-- the detractors' way of attempting bigness, if only as transcendent as a pimple on the Man's behind.

Was he perfect? No. Is anyone?

Ali threatens to exhaust language's capacity for description. The books, the films, the documentaries, the articles, the on-line forums, are all a testament. Art has also tried its hand in depicting the champion: the poems, the songs, the portraits, the oratory, the sculptures, the cartoons, the action figures. It's all there.

And, yet, the stream of words and art keeps rolling forth, inexhaustible as the man himself.

In this day of mirages, contrivance can win fame and fortune...for a season, short or long. But contrivance is its own ceiling. We will gush over our heroes, but, by and large, their star fades as their ability to entertain us wanes. Ali the person became greater as his skills faded. As the dross and vanity of summer melted away, the world has embraced what was left, what had always been there, what the loquacious youth always was and through it all endeavored to work at: a human being who transcended the ordinary by seeing a divine calling in his work, and felt a kinship to his fellow man.
The human race, for all its shallowness and folly, can detect genuineness and Ali has passed the test, not only of time, but of humanity.

This is what I learn from Ali. He brought dazzling skill, showmanship, drama, faith, courage, perseverance, vision into the ring. Because, in the end, it was about more than just showing him the money. Sure, he was also controversial and deeply resented. Think what you may, but the man was taking an unprecedented, uncompromising stand for the black race and I respect that. And it was not a gimmick. For all his lack of sophistication, he understood and accepted the most important thing: in a turbulent time, his stand threatened to cost him his livelihood and perhaps his life. He never flinched.

As a boy who at 14 and 15 stood before adult congregations and was anointed to full-time ministry by his leader at 17, I can relate to Ali's words and actions as those of a man who, in his quest came upon poor pastoral direction, but understood the bottom line: man is nothing without God, and, when done for God, any vocation, even boxing, is great.

Some things are meant for each other. I guess some people too. I became aware of my world at the tail end of Ali's career and have hazy memories of watching his TV defenses from Lyle to Spinks. My parents were never fans of the Lip. My dad called him "the Yeller", and my mom fussed about the old men put up against him (she suffered through Dunn and Coopman.)

For some reason, I always related to him. I didn't know his story. But I wasn't even 10 when I was moved to tears and clapping in our living room as on television Howard Cosell extolled at the Superdome, "May you be forever young!"

Today, the more I learn about the man, the more I respect him. The ugly warts are for another time. I still dream of learning more about him in the best possible way: I would like to meet him and simply say "Thank you" for inspiring me throughout my own journey. I know, as certainly hundreds have personally over the decades, that I would also come away respecting Muhammad Ali as just another fellow man who dared to say "I am the Greatest!"

And in doing so, he brought many children along with him to glory.

Happy 69th Birthday, Ali, and may God bless you always!
prime is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
This sunny morning as I was driving and listening to one Stefani Germanotta, I suddenly felt moved to intone "Happy Birthday" to a man not in the car, a man I may never meet.

It is plainly weird to come onto a boxing website to express admiration for the 3-time heavyweight champion from Louisville and run into quasi aggression, ridicule and nonsense. But time is teaching me that it is merely --like Aesop's foolishly aggrandized toad-- the detractors' way of attempting bigness, if only as transcendent as a pimple on the Man's behind.

Ali threatens to exhaust language's capacity for description. The books, the films, the documentaries, the articles, the on-line forums, are all a testament. Art has also tried its hand in depicting the champion: the poems, the songs, the portraits, the oratory, the sculptures, the cartoons, the action figures. It's all there.

And, yet, the stream of words and art keeps rolling forth, inexhaustible as the man himself.

In this day of mirages, contrivance can win fame and fortune...for a season, short or long. But contrivance is its own ceiling. We will gush over our heroes, but, by and large, their star fades as their ability to entertain us wanes. Ali the person became greater as his skills faded. As the dross and vanity of summer melted away, the world has embraced what was left, what had always been there, what the loquacious youth always was and through it all endeavored to work at: a human being who transcended the ordinary by seeing a divine calling in his work, and felt a kinship to his fellow man.
The human race, for all its shallowness and folly, can detect genuineness and Ali has passed the test, not only of time, but of humanity.

This is what I learn from Ali. He brought dazzling skill, showmanship, drama, faith, courage, perseverance, vision into the ring. Because, in the end, it was about more than just showing him the money. Sure, he was also controversial and deeply resented. Think what you may, but the man was taking an unprecedented, uncompromising stand for the black race and I respect that. And it was not a gimmick. For all his lack of sophistication, he understood and accepted the most important thing: in a turbulent time, his stand threatened to cost him his livelihood and perhaps his life. He never flinched.

As a boy who at 14 and 15 stood before adult congregations and was anointed to full-time ministry by his leader at 17, I can relate to Ali's words and actions as those of a man who, in his quest came upon poor pastoral direction, but understood the bottom line: man is nothing without God, and, when done for God, any vocation, even boxing, is great.

Some things are meant for each other. I guess some people too. I became aware of my world at the tail end of Ali's career and have hazy memories of watching his TV defenses from Lyle to Spinks. My parents were never fans of the Lip. My dad called him "the Yeller", and my mom fussed about the old men put up against him (she suffered through Dunn and Coopman.)

For some reason, I always related to him. I didn't know his story. But I wasn't even 10 when I was moved to tears and clapping in our living room as on television Howard Cosell extolled at the Superdome, "May you be forever young!"

Today, the more I learn about the man, the more I respect him. The ugly warts are for another time. I still dream of learning more about him in the best possible way: I would like to meet him and simply say "Thank you" for inspiring me throughout my own journey. I know, as certainly hundreds have personally over the decades, that I would also come away respecting Muhammad Ali as just another fellow man who dared to say "I am the Greatest!"

HE IS IRREPLACEABLE
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #33
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvoce View Post
well for started smokin joe is not wheelchair bound and he seemed happy enough at the lights out premiere
How many films been made about him?
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #34
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Happy Birthday Ali.

You provided us with 3 of my personal favourite top 10 Heavyweight fights; "Fight of the Century", "Thrilla in Manila" & "Rumble in the Jungle".
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #35
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Happy birthday to Ali the eternal champion
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #36
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

For all that people try to detract from his accomplishments, the man provided us with some the most memorable performances, and took part in some of the best fights of all time. That, alone, is reason enough for me to celebrate his existence.

So I will.

Happy Birthday to Muhammad Ali.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #37
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'm based in London,Rocky. Nothing to do with THAT Stevie G Yes,it was on his Thomas Hauser book tour. October 1992. I'll never forget it.
Mine was same tour in Nottingham - dad let me bunk the afternoon off school to go and meet him!!! One of my favourite memories - me and my dad sneeking the afternoon off school and work and meeting certainly my dads all time sports hero - it's funny - one of my future work mates actually chaufferred Ali around on the tour (only found out 3 or 4 years after) - he was a former amateur heavyweight boxer and he's pictured with Ali during that tour in a book I have called Muhammad Ali: A Thirty Year Journey (by Howard Bingham) - his name was Tony James and he was a massive MASSIVE bear of a man - he sparred with Frank Bruno once too - really really nice bloke as well really friendly - might look him up on boxrec come to think of it
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #38
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post

Very nice post
Stevie G is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #39
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Dont like the guy
None of us would ever have realised that Alex. Heavens forbid........
Stevie G is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #40
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
we got a sweepstake at our local of which celebrity will die 1st in the new year ive gone for ali.
Thats because your a just a prick thats stumbled into the wrong thread.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #41
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Im a bit late here obviously but happy birthday to the greatest of all time.

Muhammad Ali - The God of boxing !
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #42
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

btw in french you can't say "il est soixante-neuf"

just saying. Google translate doesn't work all the time.
PH|LLA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum