Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Mugabi vs. Gratien Tonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
Middleweights.12 rounds.
Mugabi would batter Tonna to defeat within five rounds.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
Being Very trim of waist and Broad of shoulder Tonna certainly had the build of the ferocious puncher he could be, but did have fortitude problems if someone stood up to him and hit back, therefore i think i would have to favour the Mugabi who Gave Hagler a good go of it to be a bit too firey for Gretien,

I Always felt Gretien Tonna Vs Eugene Cyclone Hart would have been a nightmare to predict you never knew who would fold Mentally - before Folding Phyiscally, Still if excitement and bg punching unpredicabiliy were your medicine you never knew with Tonna - I still remember him Wiping out Big Punching Propect Jean Meto in a couple of Rounds.
I have the Mateo fight. Mateo wasnt that impressive to begin with. I have most of his fights. He was very easy to hit and his KO record was built up. When he stepped up in competition he either lost or went the distance. Against Tonna he was massacred and against Briscoe (who ended his career) he was cut to shreds.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Klompton - Many thanks for this info - i Seem to remember Jean being favoured (by boxing news ? ) perhaps because Jean was the New Bomber on the French Block ? or because with Gretien you never knew what side of the bed he had got out of - Warrier or Worrier !! - it was indeed a long time ago and neither seemed to be held in the same affection a Jean Claude Bouttier .

Regards Area 52
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont know. Bouttier was kind of a ***** in my opinion (pardon the expression). Im not terribly impressed by him and after recently watching his fight with Griffith I cant stand him. Griffith was ripping that body to shreds and Bouttier couldnt take it. Everytime Griffith threw a body punch Bouttier went into hysterics, blathering around the ring and crying to the ref and audience. Finally he got Griffith disqualified with this behavior to Griffiths utter amazement. Ive been watcing a lot of footage on these guys lately: Bouttier, Tonna, Valdez, Griffith, Mundine, Mateo, Bogs, Cohen etc and I have to say, as good as Monzon was (and I think I have underrated him in the past) his competition outside of Briscoe and Valdez as champion absolutely sucked. Mundine is another who had the heart of a mustard seed. He reminds me so much of his son. The apple certainly didnt fall far from the tree. All of the athletic ability in the world and no small amount skill either but absolutely no fighting heart to speak of. He flat out quit as soon as the going got rough against Monzon and Briscoe and Im currently in the process of watching his bout with Griffith as I wouldnt be surprised if he got a gift decision in that bout despite Griffiths advanced years.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Bouttier redeemed himself in his rematch with Monzon.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mentioning Bouttier, the two fightsi mainly remember him for were European title fights, the first against Bunny Sterling, Bunny would certainlyof prospered in the 12 rounds Era, a his stamina did let him down in 15 round fights, but would have got him wins over Finnegan (?) Mundine and perhaps Bouttier, a i recall againt Bouttier, Bunny boxed brilliantly early (as Usual) but started to tire after the 10th, a i recall in the 13t Bouttier and Sterling tumbled to the canvas with Jean Claude Falling on top of Bunny, - with his weight on his knee - which was resting on Bunny's throat ! - after this windpipe whammy it was not surpriisng Bunny never made it past the 14th.

On the other occassion Kevin Finnegan and John H Stracey went over to Paris to take on French Darlings Bouttier and Roger Menetray, Kevin was up first, and Showed Jean and the French fans his intent by coming out and planting three bid right hands on Jean, He soon got the Message about what fighting a Finnegan meant, Even on your home ground, Kevin won on points over 15 rounds, John H completed the heartbrake Double for the French with a 7th round stoppage of Roger

All free of charge on TV - Happy Days.
AREA 53 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum