Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #31
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Somebody Up There Likes Me

I'm sure if Joe Dimaggio could have figured out a way to take a % of your friend's
Sal's Restaraunt "Jolt'n Joe's", he would have.

Joe D. was all business,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Il Duce is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
your mention of dimaggio reminded me of an incident, id:

As a kid, had a bud named sal who was a tough street fighter and gave it a shot as a pro heavy. No amateur experience -- just balls and a big punch.

Sal worshiped at the shrine of joe dimaggio; everything out of his mouth was: Joe dimaggio this and joe dimaggio that, and he was the best italian athlete ever...and blah, blah, blah. never stopped.

Every day sal got pounded sparring, and it was worse in his few prelims.

When he packed-it-in, sal opened an italian restaurant in queens, named after his idol: "jolt'n joe's." every inch inside was covered with pictures and paintings of dimaggio, newspaper clippings about him, and the wallpaper was all yankee pinstripes.

For years, we'd meet in jolt'n joe's for dinner every week, but you could hardly eat, with all sal's dimaggio stories.

I had a friend who did some business with people connected to dimaggio, and i told him all about sal and what a thrill it would be for him if dimaggio would come to his restaurant.

Not too long after, the guy calls back and says joe will do it that friday at 8 p.m.

So, i round up our crew, and we make it our business to be in the restaurant early. We couldn't wait to see sal's reaction when dimaggio came in the door.

We all made small talk...but it was killing us. Finally, the door opens and there's dimaggio--"joe d," in person-- as dapper as you could imagine in a double-breasted sharkskin suit.

I thought sal was gonna have a coronary. His mouth dropped open; his eyes went wide. He practically leaped over to where dimaggio was: "joe...joe! This is the greatest dream of my life! I never thought i would ever meet you. Look... Your pictures are every place!... You've been my hero since i was kid!"

we had to fight back the tears.

"sit! Sit! Joe. I make you something personally" sal almost kissed us as he headed into the kitchen.

Joe was seated and waited. We were feeling wonderful to see sal's dream come true.

When sal came out and placed the food on the table, he said to joe, with his eyes glistening: "my son feels the same way about you that i do, joe. Could you autograph this menu... To paulie?"

dimaggio looked up and said, "i get $5 for that."

all the air was sucked out of the room.

Sal looked at him... unbelieving, then hurled himself on top of dimaggio, trying to strangle him, yelling, "you miserable mutha ****er!

It took all of us to pull him off dimaggio. Sal kept trying to dive back at him. We were barely able to get dimaggio out of there and back into his car.
wow !
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #33
hhascup
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
wow !
Joe was that way!

Back over 20 years ago, I was the Historian of the Italian American Sports Hall of Fame. We had a Big function every year and I was the MC.

One year Joe DiMaggio came for a price ($5,000), PLUS hotel, meals, travel money, etc. Both Lou Duva and Tommy Lasorda asked me to ask him if he would present a trophy in his name to the top Italian American High School baseball player in New Jersey, so I did.

Joe said sure, no problem, But that would cost you another $1,000. I said, I don't think you understood me. He said, I understood you perfectly, and that is my cost. I went back to Duva and Lasorda and they could believe it. I said, well just go over and ask him yourself, so they did.

They had some heated words and then they came to an agreement. I know they paid him something, But I don't really know how much.

The next year we voted not to invite him back.
hhascup is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #34
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hopefully,,,,this doesn't turn into a Joe Dimaggio bashing thread.

There are many stories out their, about his demand for $.

Especially for those Italian-American Events up in the Catskills.
Joe D. liked to get 'comped' for everything.

Rocky Marciano used to find out what Joe Dimaggio was getting for appearance fee's,
and Rocky would adjust his fee to $1000 less, but as long as he got cash.
Il Duce is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum