Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
montrealsuper
"Im a pugilist specialist
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Default Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Found this to be a very good read, especially the funny memory about Ali in San Juan! You know Mike Tyson would like to read this.

Check it:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
montrealsuper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 930
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Thanks, montrealsuper! Really interesting, especially about Jack discovering opera at 80. Jack Johnson loved opera, too.
guilalah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

That was great!!

A lot of interesting things there.

My favorite was the Ali story! Thats brilliant. Sometime around the mid 70's its obvious Ali came to realize the true skills of Jack Dempsey. I remember seeing a Cossell Ali interview, where Cossell shows Ali the first Tunney Dempsey, and it seemed to be the first time Ali had seen Dempsey in good quality film. Because he was surprised, saying "Now Howard, these men are boxing! These men are great scientists" and he was saying it like he just made the realization lol.


I heard another great story about Ali and Dempsey from a writer in an Ali documentary. The writer says that he was doing a conference or something with Jack Dempsey and Ali. This is right before the fight in Zaire. George Foreman walks in the room, and this would be one of the first times he and Ali meet in person. Ali leans to Dempsey and says "One moment Mr. Dempsey." Ali got up, walked over to Foreman who was staring at Ali and says: "What are you doing? Don't you look at me like that!" Right there, Foremans eyes went straight down. The writer describes the moment as a father scolding a child. Then Ali says "Thats right boy. Get on out of here, and dont let me see you again." Foreman walked out. Ali's expression changed as Foreman left the room, he walked back over to his chair, sat down, and says to Dempsey, "Excuse me Mr. Dempsey....but I just won round 1."
reznick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

It's also very interesting to hear about Dempsey's back.


Those back injuries from falling out the ring really are dangerous. When Cintron fell out the ring he barely hit the table and had to be carried out. It seemed like Dempsey fell all the way out of the ring! And he got back up to knockout Firpo despite the injury. Wow!
reznick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
alexvoce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

ali......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPiLGbDrGnw[/ame]
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
It's also very interesting to hear about Dempsey's back.


Those back injuries from falling out the ring really are dangerous. When Cintron fell out the ring he barely hit the table and had to be carried out. It seemed like Dempsey fell all the way out of the ring! And he got back up to knockout Firpo despite the injury. Wow!
Dempsey did more than hurt his back, he got a tear in his rectum, that was repaired later.
Boucher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
It's also very interesting to hear about Dempsey's back.


Those back injuries from falling out the ring really are dangerous. When Cintron fell out the ring he barely hit the table and had to be carried out. It seemed like Dempsey fell all the way out of the ring! And he got back up to knockout Firpo despite the injury. Wow!
I've long suspected this injury diminished him far more for Tunney than he ever let on. In his 1977 autobiography, he merely mentioned in passing that it hurt him ever since, but it could go a long way towards explaining his hiatus from competition between Firpo and Tunney. (Beyond that, he was the highest paid athlete in 1925 without ever putting the title on the line. Hell, if I found myself in such a cushy situation, I might not risk the championship either.)

For Tommy Gibbons, there was a spring in his step that was never in evidence again. There was an especially glaring contrast in legwork between Dempsey and King Levinski in their exhibition. The Kingfish was exuberant in his youthful bounciness then.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,766
vCash: 500
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealsuper View Post
Found this to be a very good read, especially the funny memory about Ali in San Juan! You know Mike Tyson would like to read this.

Check it:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
My three favorite heavyweights of alltime in and OUT of the Ring were
Jack Dempsey
Joe Louis
Joe Frazier
They had an innate goodness about them.
I forgot to mention another true gentleman, Floyd Patterson.
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
My three favorite heavyweights of alltime in and OUT of the Ring were
Jack Dempsey
Joe Louis
Joe Frazier
They had an innate goodness about them.
I forgot to mention another true gentleman, Floyd Patterson.
Would Schmeling then round out your top five of first rate characters Burt, or might somebody else fit the bill?
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I've long suspected this injury diminished him far more for Tunney than he ever let on. In his 1977 autobiography, he merely mentioned in passing that it hurt him ever since, but it could go a long way towards explaining his hiatus from competition between Firpo and Tunney. (Beyond that, he was the highest paid athlete in 1925 without ever putting the title on the line. Hell, if I found myself in such a cushy situation, I might not risk the championship either.)
He became estranged from Jack Kearns sometime in 1924 or '25, and Kearns had him under contract until September '26 I think.
His break from fighting was extended to get free from Kearns.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
He became estranged from Jack Kearns sometime in 1924 or '25, and Kearns had him under contract until September '26 I think.
His break from fighting was extended to get free from Kearns.
Which would complicate the efforts to arrange Dempsey-Wills considerably. (As Jack had the advantage of youth over the aging Harry, six years his senior, I believe this would have been the best chance for Dempsey to extend his reign. I don't believe he would have gotten great mileage out of such a win in terms of historic legacy due to the age of Wills, but it might have prolonged the competitive edge he lost by the time Tunney dethroned him.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,301
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Nice find enjoyed it I remember the 75th party at the Quarry/Mac Foster fight I was there and I remember they showed a film of Dempsey, I think Tunney was there as well...great night, I was a young kid and it was one of my first pro fights and Dempsey was a beast but a refined beast....too bad he is so underrated...Dempsey would have presented a huge problem to any ATG, Ali included
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Nice find enjoyed it I remember the 75th party at the Quarry/Mac Foster fight I was there and I remember they showed a film of Dempsey, I think Tunney was there as well...great night, I was a young kid and it was one of my first pro fights and Dempsey was a beast but a refined beast....too bad he is so underrated...Dempsey would have presented a huge problem to any ATG, Ali included
I agree 100%. Dempsey is too underrated in these parts nowadays.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,766
vCash: 500
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Would Schmeling then round out your top five of first rate characters Burt, or might somebody else fit the bill?
Yes,D.I have always had enourmous admiration for Billy Miske.. A great fighter of the Dempsey era. Miske was diagnosed with having a fatal disease
called Bright's Disease. He entered many fights in a weakened condition but still licked some of the top heavyweights of that time.Finally he begged his good friend Jack Dempsey for one last shot at a match with Jack, so his family would have some money for Xmas,and a cushion after he died. Well Jack gave him a match where he kod Miske in 3 rounds. He passed away soon after...What a brave man was Billy Miske, and what a story for Hollywood.
Yes D,Miske was one of my very favorite heavies. Knowing he was slated to die soon,he trained in a weakened condition, against a killer like Dempsey,
and died providing for his family...A man to admire D...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here (duh!)
Posts: 3,223
vCash: 1326
Default Re: Interesting interview with Jack Dempsey's wife

Its amazing that Miske still managed to kayo Brannon too.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013