Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: 20 Year Anniversary: Fenech v Nelson I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
If the judges awared the fight correctly, there most likely wouldn't have been an immediate rematch. At that point in time they were looking at Fenech as a legitimate opponent for Pernell Whitaker at Lightweight and I'd say that's the direction he might've headed.

If that's the case then Fenech gets a good pay day and knocked out by Whitaker instead of Nelson 2, the closing stages of his career would most certainly mirror the one that actually happened.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver View Post
I've seen bigger robberies but Fenech did get the nod in my opinion.

Given the corrupt state of boxing under Don King, Fenech could probably consider himself lucky they didn't give Nelson the win.

I don't think Fenech's self destruction after that fight was down to the result alone, he was partying, not training properly, hand injuries and a had a certain arrogance to his lifestyle. Regardless of that Nelson 1 decision, Fenech most certainly would of finished his career with KO loses at some point.

Does anyone feel if Fenech was given the victory in the 1st Nelson fight that the result in the 2nd would be different??

The only thing that changes in Fenech's career is being a 3 weight division world champ instead of 4

BTW Fenech was one of my favourite fighters so i'm not hating on him for the sake of it.
Agree completely.

Regarding the malaria - Like most guys who lose, or in this case puts in a less than satisfactory performance for their standards. They seem to exaggerate their injuries, illness etc. Nelson is no different.

I dont believe he had malaria, but the way he fought in the 2nd made it look like he had it in the first fight.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #18
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver View Post
If that's the case then Fenech gets a good pay day and knocked out by Whitaker instead of Nelson 2, the closing stages of his career would most certainly mirror the one that actually happened.
Whitaker wouldn't have knocked Fenech out... You're talking about a bloke with 17 career stoppages.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm pretty harsh on Fenech outside of the ring with the shit he pulls but he did get robbed with that drawn decision against Nelson. Agree with buster, Ol Jeff was never really the same fighter after the 1st fight. By memory I think he was looking to be only the 4th person in history to win world titles in 4 different weight divisions. I too believe whittaker would of beaten him easily, way too slippery & Ippy, Calvin Grove only had 17 stoppages when he iced Fenech in 7 rds with one punch but yeah Whittaker was never regarded as having heavy hands.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

By that point Fenech was inactive for 15 months and had been pasted by Nelson in the return. The dodgy decision took a lot of wind out of Jeff, there's no denying it. He also began living it up, which I don't think he would've done if he knew he was fighting Sweet Pea next. Pernell would've won, but I don't see him stopping Fenech at Lightweight.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #21
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Whoever said Fenech had started slacking off was right. At times Fenech thought he was some kind of boxing god. Johnny Lewis over the years had booted him out of the gym a few times. For the rematch he thought all he had to do was turn up and it'd be another win on his record. Hey, this is Azumah Nelson, not Satoshi Shingaki
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #22
Cavalier

I have it from a good source that Fenech was up to all sorts of rubbish after that drawn decision against Nelson. Vans full of hookers. Cocaine sessions.

Still one of the best fighters Australia has ever produced for mine.
Cavalier is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #23
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
By that point Fenech was inactive for 15 months and had been pasted by Nelson in the return. The dodgy decision took a lot of wind out of Jeff, there's no denying it. He also began living it up, which I don't think he would've done if he knew he was fighting Sweet Pea next. Pernell would've won, but I don't see him stopping Fenech at Lightweight.
Grove had no trouble stopping Fenech at L/W. Grove had the same KO ratio as Pea.... not even close to the class as Pea.

Fenech was shot by the time Princess Park came around. Too many hard fights, hard nights and abuse to his system.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #24
DBerry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fenech was a good fighter, but Nelson was the smarter boxer, Fenech didn't win that fight, and taking into account Nelsons wife had died that week whilst he was recovering from malaria shows that, whilst fenech was a great fighter and world level, he definitely wasn't the best in a very competitive weight devision.

Calvin Grove made a name for himself of the back of Fenech, nearly killing him, A fresh Azuma Nelson hospitalized him. To think Fenech would have lifted to beat Nelson, then given Sweat Pea a hand full is fanciful romance.

Having said all that, that fight was a good day for Australian boxing, reminding the world what we're about, and has, to an extent, had a flow on effect that continued for many years.
DBerry is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #25
DBerry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I have it from a good source that Fenech was up to all sorts of rubbish after that drawn decision against Nelson. Vans full of hookers. Cocaine sessions.

Still one of the best fighters Australia has ever produced for mine.
How do you do coke with a nose like that?!? Mine isn't nearly as bad as his and coke is a waste of a week's wages on me.
DBerry is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerry View Post
How do you do coke with a nose like that?!? Mine isn't nearly as bad as his and coke is a waste of a week's wages on me.
Ummm... I heard a rumour that it can also be drunk. I also heard a rumour that it cost about AU$12/gram in Brazil when I was there in 2000 & 2001.

....lucky I only drank some light beers there.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #27
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Whitaker spanked Nelson with absolute ease although to be fair it was right after Nelson's wife had died. Fenech would have been lucky to have landed more than a couple of clean punches on Whitaker. But first he would have had to corner him. Which I doubt would ever have happened
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
Grove had no trouble stopping Fenech at L/W. Grove had the same KO ratio as Pea.... not even close to the class as Pea.

Fenech was shot by the time Princess Park came around. Too many hard fights, hard nights and abuse to his system.
Which I'm guessing he doesn't do if he's lining up against Whitaker next. The Vegas decision took a lot out of him, most of it mental IMO.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #29
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Whitaker spanked Nelson with absolute ease although to be fair it was right after Nelson's wife had died. Fenech would have been lucky to have landed more than a couple of clean punches on Whitaker. But first he would have had to corner him. Which I doubt would ever have happened
I can't be bothered to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there was only a couple of points in it. As you said, Azumah's partner had died prior as well. If Jorge Paez took rounds off Whitaker, I'm sure Jeff would've managed a couple too.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #30
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Which I'm guessing he doesn't do if he's lining up against Whitaker next. The Vegas decision took a lot out of him, most of it mental IMO.
I dont think the Vegas decision can be blamed Ippy.

Fenech was too ****y before Princess Park, partied far too much and could not keep away from whores. If anything, the Vegas decision should have inspired Fenech. His training here was laxed, unlike Vegas. Had he applied himself as he did in Vegas, it may have been a different outcome. As it is, Azumah made Fenech look terrible. I seriously doubt Fenech beating Nelson on that day- ever.

Ego, over confidence and ****iness.. not good for any fighter, especially when walking into a World Championship bout.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum