boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
alexvoce
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I disagree, if it doesn't really matter, then why bother with having boxing world titles?
i mean because tyson won it didnt matter as he stayed champ but if spinks had won it would have been debatable whether or not he retained title or was a new champion.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,988
vCash: 1412
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvoce View Post
i mean because tyson won it didnt matter as he stayed champ but if spinks had won it would have been debatable whether or not he retained title or was a new champion.
Tyson became The World Heavyweight Champion, the biggest prize in sports, by beating Spinks, he stayed WBA/WBC/IBF title holder, I know what I would prefer to be called!

Spinks with the stronger claim going in, would of come out with the scalp of his biggest challenger and final rival title claimant.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

The lineal title is held in higher esteem than a unified title (which Tyson won by fighting the 3 titleholders, unlike Spinks). I don't particularly understand that bit

Spinks beat a faded Holmes then hand picked his opponents so as not to lose, before taking the $$$ in a fight where Spinks was scared ****less and knew he would lose. Full credit to him for taking the fight but he gets no credit for selling out his responsibiliies as the lineal champ

p.s. I was hoping Spinks would beat Tyson
Bollox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,988
vCash: 1412
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
The lineal title is held in higher esteem than a unified title (which Tyson won by fighting the 3 titleholders, unlike Spinks). I don't particularly understand that bit

Spinks beat a faded Holmes then hand picked his opponents so as not to lose, before taking the $$$ in a fight where Spinks was scared ****less and knew he would lose. Full credit to him for taking the fight but he gets no credit for selling out his responsibiliies as the lineal champ

p.s. I was hoping Spinks would beat Tyson
What did he sell out?

Spinks was champ for three years, gave Holmes a rematch and made two other defences, before fighting the generally recognized #1 contender. Compared to some other Champions, Spinks was more active and fought top opposition.

No one questioned Dempsey's claim, and he never fought his top contender and was inactive for three years!
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Tangstad and ****ey were worthy challengers to the lineal champ? geezuz
Bollox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #21
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,988
vCash: 1412
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Tangstad and ****ey were worthy challengers to the lineal champ? geezuz
No, Holmes and Tyson were.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,726
vCash: 66874
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Michael Spinks only because he never lost the title in the ring before he got the $13 million to hand it to Mike Tyson
KOTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
combatesdeboxeo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SPAIN(canary islands,tenerife)
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Well. Like you know i am not the biggest tyson fan but about this topic i must say that tyson proved that he was the "real" champ, is not matter if spinks took the title from "the real" champ holmes, because holmes in 1985-86 was almost finished, he was not the holmes who faced norton,shavers ,berbick or even spoon. And tyson destroyed spinks like an insect. The only champ was tyson, simply they never fought earlier and he could not prove it. But he was always the real champ at this time. The only 2 men who might beat tyson 88-90 at this time. Were holyfield and old foreman 88-90(because his style)
combatesdeboxeo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #24
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 14,063
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

The facts going into the bout on that evening:

1. Tyson had all the belts. Spinks had no belts

2. Tyson was announced as the undisputed champion. Spinks was announced as the challenger


That's enough for me.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #25
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 9,388
vCash: 693
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
The facts going into the bout on that evening:

1. Tyson had all the belts. Spinks had no belts

2. Tyson was announced as the undisputed champion. Spinks was announced as the challenger


That's enough for me.

Yeah, Spinks and Foreman II are probably the best examples of how worthless the "lineal Champion" claim can be.

Tyson cleaned out every major contender in the division, while Spinks was in exile. The fight was a symbolic gesture but Tyson didn't need Spinks to be recognized.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #26
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,988
vCash: 1412
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
The facts going into the bout on that evening:

1. Tyson had all the belts. Spinks had no belts

2. Tyson was announced as the undisputed champion. Spinks was announced as the challenger


That's enough for me.
It was shown Spinks was announced as being recognized as champion by amongst others The Ring, Boxing Illustrated...

So Tyson could not be the Undisputed Champion, because his claim was clearly disputed!
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #27
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,988
vCash: 1412
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Yeah, Spinks and Foreman II are probably the best examples of how worthless the "lineal Champion" claim can be.

Tyson cleaned out every major contender in the division, while Spinks was in exile. The fight was a symbolic gesture but Tyson didn't need Spinks to be recognized.
Tyson knows his boxing history, he knew he needed Spinks. And when was Spinks in exile?
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

Spinks.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #29
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: out preaching for the church of benn
Posts: 6,868
vCash: 1054
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

spinks was as said in the above post's, but i always felt that tyson would beat him
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #30
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson v Spinks - Who was THE champ....?

If Spinks had defended the lineal title 10 times against duds like Tangstad would he still have been seen as the true champion? What would the worth had been, of the lineal championship in that case?

Tyson absolutely cleaned the joint out barring Witherspoon. Spinks cleaned out absolutely nothing

Lineal V Actual
Bollox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015