Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Guys, here is the vid of my fight....

Here it is guys! I already saw what's wrong, and here are the things I basically need to improve on. Footwork, defense, and power. My defense especially, since I got hit with solid shots. My guard really sucks! Well guys prepare to wince when you watch! Im the one in red bwt.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If the link does not work, just type it on your address bar.
SweetScience is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Guys, here is the vid of my fight....

Ok, the first thing I'm going to tell you right here is the most important of all-stop being down on yourself. You fought a great ****in' fight, especially for your first fight. I have some questions before I go on to the comments I have.

First-do you only fight two rounds to start with in the Phillipines? Are they 2 3 minute rounds? In the US and many other countries I know of, novices start off doing 3 2 minute rounds and then move to 4 2 minute rounds. Also, what size gloves were you wearing? I noticed they didn't have white knuckles on them-trust me, I've fought without the white knuckles and it can hurt you big time, because judges can't score your punches as easily.

Ok, on to my thoughts. First, I thought the fight could have gone either way. You both had your moments. You both looked very good and fairly skilled and controlled for your first time boxing. He caught you with some good lead rights, and you did good for the most part throwing a jab and a one-two. Try to keep your right hand a bit higher when jabbing-I know, it's natural to everyone to bring it down, so really focus on it. Also, your footwork was not at all bad. You did a good job moving to your right, the way you're supposed to. Even I have trouble doing that, but you did it fairly smoothly and well. Pop your jab more and circle, I would recommend, you look like a big kid. I know it was your first time, and you did a good job sticking to the basics. When he got close and was leaning close to you on the ropes, I would recommend practicing your uppercuts and trying to catch him with a right uppercut when he does that. You had a good straight right of your own, when you're going to be aggressive, come forward with two jabs and let your right hand go.

Ok, as for your defense-don't be so hard, in your first fight defense always comes secondary. For the most part, you did a good job blocking shots. One thing I noticed is you stood with your elbows a bit far out; kind of like a Muay Thai stance it looked like. Tuck those mother****ers close to your body so guys can't get at your ribs, and try to turn your stance a little bit more so you're not squared up so much. As I said before, work on keeping those elbows tucked and hands high, turn your upper body a little bit, and tuck that chin-maybe bend your kees a little bit more too; allow you to move a bit easier and for me at least it helps me keep my chin down and stops me from backing straight up with my chin up.

Other than that, great job. Stick with it, you looked really good for your first fight and you have a lot of potential to improve and do even better next time if you stick with it. Good job for getting in there and giving as good as you got.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
Ok, the first thing I'm going to tell you right here is the most important of all-stop being down on yourself. You fought a great ****in' fight, especially for your first fight. I have some questions before I go on to the comments I have.

First-do you only fight two rounds to start with in the Phillipines? Are they 2 3 minute rounds? In the US and many other countries I know of, novices start off doing 3 2 minute rounds and then move to 4 2 minute rounds. Also, what size gloves were you wearing? I noticed they didn't have white knuckles on them-trust me, I've fought without the white knuckles and it can hurt you big time, because judges can't score your punches as easily.

Ok, on to my thoughts. First, I thought the fight could have gone either way. You both had your moments. You both looked very good and fairly skilled and controlled for your first time boxing. He caught you with some good lead rights, and you did good for the most part throwing a jab and a one-two. Try to keep your right hand a bit higher when jabbing-I know, it's natural to everyone to bring it down, so really focus on it. Also, your footwork was not at all bad. You did a good job moving to your right, the way you're supposed to. Even I have trouble doing that, but you did it fairly smoothly and well. Pop your jab more and circle, I would recommend, you look like a big kid. I know it was your first time, and you did a good job sticking to the basics. When he got close and was leaning close to you on the ropes, I would recommend practicing your uppercuts and trying to catch him with a right uppercut when he does that. You had a good straight right of your own, when you're going to be aggressive, come forward with two jabs and let your right hand go.

Ok, as for your defense-don't be so hard, in your first fight defense always comes secondary. For the most part, you did a good job blocking shots. One thing I noticed is you stood with your elbows a bit far out; kind of like a Muay Thai stance it looked like. Tuck those mother****ers close to your body so guys can't get at your ribs, and try to turn your stance a little bit more so you're not squared up so much. As I said before, work on keeping those elbows tucked and hands high, turn your upper body a little bit, and tuck that chin-maybe bend your kees a little bit more too; allow you to move a bit easier and for me at least it helps me keep my chin down and stops me from backing straight up with my chin up.

Other than that, great job. Stick with it, you looked really good for your first fight and you have a lot of potential to improve and do even better next time if you stick with it. Good job for getting in there and giving as good as you got.
Looks like with some timing and back pedaling you he would have had his ass i thought.. He did it a couple times and did great.

Errgh.. fighting on the back foot rather.... Also, what weight was it at?
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Quote:

Thanks man. We were wearing 14 oz gloves. I was in the beginners division so we start with 2 min 2 rounds. If your advanced you go to 3 rounds 2 mins each. Dunno about the white part. That's amateur right? Maybe the gyms did not decide to use amateur rules or amatuer gloves to take off the pressure on us students to really hit our opponents with clean shots. Or maybe its just hard to find those gloves with white ends here in the Philippines.

Anyways, thanks for the comment man. I gotta work hard, but I need some rest first LOL.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt
Looks like with some timing and back pedaling you he would have had his ass i thought.. He did it a couple times and did great.

Errgh.. fighting on the back foot rather.... Also, what weight was it at?
It was at 170
Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Wow SS! I'm really impressed! For your first fight you (and your opponent) did really well! Be proud of your performance, for sure.

I won't repeat everything Kolya just said so I'll just say you did well. Rest, then get back in the gym and practice on what you need to improve upon.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy
Wow SS! I'm really impressed! For your first fight you (and your opponent) did really well! Be proud of your performance, for sure.

I won't repeat everything Kolya just said so I'll just say you did well. Rest, then get back in the gym and practice on what you need to improve upon.
Shoes, I need to buy em. LOL. Shoes are what I need right now.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScience
Shoes, I need to buy em. LOL. Shoes are what I need right now.
I was actually going to comment about that infact. I think you'd be able to mover better with a proper pair of boxing shoes. Athletic shoes have too much tread and they stick and catch on the canvas.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

SS congrats for getting into the ring.
acb is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #10
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
SS congrats for getting into the ring.
Thanks man.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Damn man, you made me excited to fight again. Good job, think about a pair of boxing shoes-what size feet do you have, do you know in US sizes?

Last edited by tragicliston; 09-15-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Damn man, you made me excited to fight again. Good job, think about a pair of boxing shoes-what size feet do you have, do you know in US sizes?
Yeah, Im size 11.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #13
chinachin_76
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You did well SS, you can hold your head up high. You have natural ability and a good chin.
chinachin_76 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScience
Yeah, Im size 11.
Hm, let me see about something, I have 2 size 11 pairs of shoes that I might be able to swing your way.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hm, let me see about something, I have 2 size 11 pairs of shoes that I might be able to swing your way.
Naw dude, you dont have too. Im just gonna buy a pair here in the Phils. In fact my mom was the one who told me that she will buy for me.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing