Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,368
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior-soprano View Post
cogratulations.. first time i see you call ali indeed ali in a thread..
you are making progress.
is the medication finally starting to work ????????
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,368
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post

the worst i heard about him was that he tight with his money.
the other negative thing was his toupee.
neither are hanging offences, leave him alone
Very well said,Turpin
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Very well said,Turpin
cheers steve.
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Marciano would be one of my first picks to have someone by my side in a street fight. The man was relentless in the ring when he was just doing business. Can you imagine how he is when he is in a rage?
Skehan graphically wrote about how Rocky's brother sucker punched him during an exhibition in Maine, and how he lost his temper, spitting out blood as the tongue came out, then tearing into his poor stupid sibling, screaming for his life as he fell forward into a preserving clinch: "Rock! I'm your brother! ROCK!" Whereupon Rocky regained some control of his anger and
eased off a bit. Skehan's descriptions of the warning signs when Marciano lost his temper are among the most vivid accounts in the book.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

reg gutteridge said that rocky borrowed a rain coat and did not return it. He also delibratly turned up in shabby clothes for tv apearances so that tv exec's were forced to fit him out in new clothes- or borrow a jacket he would delibratly not return. micky duff said that rocky grabbed him by the tie and made like to hit him when marciano realised he had to pay his own way home after an apearance duff had organised. Only the threat of legal action calmed rocky down...

hardly sinful stuff...

there is more evidence he was a good guy than bad.
choklab is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 879
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
the darker side of rocky marciano ?

I know he died a long time ago, but I've heard he comes alive in the dreams of teenagers and haunts them, torments them, drives them to insanity and frightens them to death.

His face and body is all scarred up, twisted and burned from the airplane crash, and he has a propeller for a hand.
I'm laughing now, but I'd be horrified if I were the victim of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Skehan graphically wrote about how Rocky's brother sucker punched him during an exhibition in Maine, and how he lost his temper, spitting out blood as the tongue came out, then tearing into his poor stupid sibling, screaming for his life as he fell forward into a preserving clinch: "Rock! I'm your brother! ROCK!" Whereupon Rocky regained some control of his anger and
eased off a bit. Skehan's descriptions of the warning signs when Marciano lost his temper are among the most vivid accounts in the book.
Please tell me that Peter is the brother who was assaulted. Peter makes Rocky sound like an Angel with no flaws. "My brother was a saint. There's no human being alive who could ever beat my brother. You can only go by records, and the last time I checked, Rocky Marciano was 49-0, 43 wins by Knockout."
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #22
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

The final assesment must be that he was one of the better human beings of all the heavyweight champions.

As others have said he became a miser later in life. I am 99% certain that hye would be diagnosed with Obsesive Compulsive Disorder today.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #23
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Skehan graphically wrote about how Rocky's brother sucker punched him during an exhibition in Maine, and how he lost his temper, spitting out blood as the tongue came out, then tearing into his poor stupid sibling, screaming for his life as he fell forward into a preserving clinch: "Rock! I'm your brother! ROCK!" Whereupon Rocky regained some control of his anger and
eased off a bit. Skehan's descriptions of the warning signs when Marciano lost his temper are among the most vivid accounts in the book.
I recall this from the book, except I don't remember a cheap shot... just that his brother Sonny started to do well and hit Rocky with a real good shot and made him look bad for a second. That got Marciano mad... when he was mad his tongue curled through the space of his teeth apparently that's what you had to watch out for. You could see it in his fight with LaStarza.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #24
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 238
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

He was a true con artist.


Tricked all sports writers and boxing associates into thinking he was a lucky journeyman waiting to be shut out the next time he fought. Did it ninety-four times.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
pacpowerpellet
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 994
vCash: 225
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

hes was mafia connected
pacpowerpellet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #26
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacpowerpellet View Post
hes was mafia connected
Can you name a fighter who wasn't back then?
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacpowerpellet View Post
hes was mafia connected
This was more so after his career.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #28
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,353
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post

the worst i heard about him was that he tight with his money.
the other negative thing was his toupee.
neither are hanging offences, leave him alone
My dad was sitting with Marciano and George raft at one of the Cooper Ali fights. He said the pair of them were more worried about their toupees blowing off than watching the fight.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
I recall this from the book, except I don't remember a cheap shot... just that his brother Sonny started to do well and hit Rocky with a real good shot and made him look bad for a second. That got Marciano mad... when he was mad his tongue curled through the space of his teeth apparently that's what you had to watch out for. You could see it in his fight with LaStarza.
I haven't read it in decades, just recall that he wanted to show what he could do when he loaded up, and caught an unawares Rocky with a shot that may not have connected at all in a competitive situation.

Whichever recall is correct (and it may well be yours that is more accurate, for "Biography of a First Son" was loaned to me, and thus not in my library) thank you for independently corroborating the tongue curling gesture, an expression nobody wanted to have directed their way.

LaStarza really pissed him off with the comment that he was likely to become punchy later in life.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I haven't read it in decades, just recall that he wanted to show what he could do when he loaded up, and caught an unawares Rocky with a shot that may not have connected at all in a competitive situation.

Whichever recall is correct (and it may well be yours that is more accurate, for "Biography of a First Son" was loaned to me, and thus not in my library) thank you for independently corroborating the tongue curling gesture, an expression nobody wanted to have directed their way.

LaStarza really pissed him off with the comment that he was likely to become punchy later in life.
Here is Rocky showing his anger as he knocks LaStarza through the ropes:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013