boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #31
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the darker side of rocky marciano....

There is a story I know of - in print and available online but I don't know whether it would be deemed as offensive to post it on here - I'm kind-of of the mindset that if you get the feeling maybe it's a bit "not right" then you're probably right and you probably shouldn't post it - so maybe I shouldn't - I think it's an interesting point of discussion but whether it's a little too close to the bone to post certain things I'm just not sure - wouldn't want to offend anyone by posting it that's all - it is a brilliant article actually (the one I'm thinking of) but it does contain some pretty bad stuff (and some pretty wierd stuff LOL) - but wouldn't want people to think I was just posting it for shock value or whatever??
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #32
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
There is a story I know of - in print and available online but I don't know whether it would be deemed as offensive to post it on here - I'm kind-of of the mindset that if you get the feeling maybe it's a bit "not right" then you're probably right and you probably shouldn't post it - so maybe I shouldn't - I think it's an interesting point of discussion but whether it's a little too close to the bone to post certain things I'm just not sure - wouldn't want to offend anyone by posting it that's all - it is a brilliant article actually (the one I'm thinking of) but it does contain some pretty bad stuff (and some pretty wierd stuff LOL) - but wouldn't want people to think I was just posting it for shock value or whatever??
Post it.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Post it.
I don't know - what do people think?? It is a story from a pretty famous publication actually - so it is well in the public domain - and the article on the whole covers lots more than just scandal and bad stuff - maybe some people might have an inckling of the article I'm talking about - but its....well you know?? I don't know I need a bit more of a motion from across the board before I would feel even half justified in posting it - it certainly is relevant to the discussion - and I for one have never gone in for the milk and honeyed perfect 50's family man image that peolpe had always trying to paint of Rock anyway - I mean a really very very good guy but human all the same like all of us with his faults no doubt - but I don't know - I wouldn't want it to be deemed that I was casting the first stone if I posted the link to the story??
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #34
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Post it.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

post it
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #36
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

I don't think anyone would be offended by anything you posted.
The Lounge has pretty much desensitized 98% of us.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #37
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by shommel View Post
it seems to me everyone and everything i have ever read about the rock was how he was such a great guy. well my questions is is what kind of skeletons did he have in his closet? ie cheapskate, drinking, gambling, women? id like to hear about the so called angel rocky marciano
woman.....he was a bit of a loan shock...not sure if he ever beat anyone..but he loaned money out for interest. Never really head of him being a major gambler....also i dont think he was cheap....

(i could be wrong..just dont remember hearing that kind of stuff) one thing i have heard is he was a real aderoline junkie....once went the wrong way on a high way while his friend was screaming just for the fun of it (and im sure to **** with his body) clearly a bit of a nut.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #38
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Post it. It's probably something we've all heard or know of. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, though.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #39
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He paid some of Louis' hospital bills when Louis was broke.

(Louis also got some largesse from Schmeling and Sonny Liston).
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #40
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
I don't know - what do people think?? It is a story from a pretty famous publication actually - so it is well in the public domain - and the article on the whole covers lots more than just scandal and bad stuff - maybe some people might have an inckling of the article I'm talking about - but its....well you know?? I don't know I need a bit more of a motion from across the board before I would feel even half justified in posting it - it certainly is relevant to the discussion - and I for one have never gone in for the milk and honeyed perfect 50's family man image that peolpe had always trying to paint of Rock anyway - I mean a really very very good guy but human all the same like all of us with his faults no doubt - but I don't know - I wouldn't want it to be deemed that I was casting the first stone if I posted the link to the story??
Post it.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #41
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

He had a fascination with danger.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #42
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

.. a lot of people are said to have paid for louis' hospital bills and funeral, but it's highly unlikely that rocky would have paid for his own funeral.

it's pretty well known that frank sinatra took care of joe louis in the bomber's last days and after ..i.e. the funeral.

joe's widow...his last wife...was a lawyer and she told joe just to quit earning any money and let the tax nazis go to hell. she said if joe wanted anything, she'd just call sinatra, and it was taken care of. and when he flew sinatra always saw that he flew first class.
albinored is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #43
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

...oops..forgot to add...can't you dimbulbs here see that splitnose is just messing with your heads...and being damn funny while he's doing it..
albinored is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #44
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
My dad was sitting with Marciano and George raft at one of the Cooper Ali fights. He said the pair of them were more worried about their toupees blowing off than watching the fight.
Ha ha ha ha ha! Wouldnt it have been funny to see Howard Cosell interviewing both guys in the open air at Highbury stadium. The 3 of them with their left hands on top of their heads whilst speaking, like some kinda Mason initiation.

I dont think the thread starter intends any malice here but nontheless Marciano was human like us all and had his flaws, although by a lot of ex-champs standards they were pretty tame by comparison. One of the better role models i would say. So what, he was tight with money? Not a nice trait by no means but certainly better than being a heroin-head or a rapist.
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #45
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Here is Rocky showing his anger as he knocks LaStarza through the ropes:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Far be it from me to tell the great Marciano what to do, but this was drilled out of me by my father when i was a kid. As a 12yr old and just starting out boxing, i had a habit of doing this when i lost my temper and my dad was forever telling me that if i wasnt careful, a well placed uppercut will take my tongue clean off. I didnt pay attention until he took me for a few rounds, letting me hit him in the stomach, and every now and then he would hit me (lightly of course) under the chin. I tell you something now, i wasnt too slow in stopping my tongue biting after that

I think the moral of the story (if there is one) is that im very surprised that a pugilist of that high a standard would do something like that
johnmaff36 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum