Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Losing too much weight too fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing 8countboxing
I haven't been counting my calories at all, just watching what I eat. With a very few exceptions I haven't ate anything that could be considered "bad for you." I probably am just losing a lot of water weight right now, just by the fact I've gotten off the couch and started sweating. Regardless, I feel better. When I hit a plateau with weight loss and if I still want to lose weight I will contact you guys for better methods. As a side note I was told by my doctor to lose 20 pounds, so right now my goal is get to a little sub 200. I am 6'1" and of skinny-medium build. Nobody believes that I am 220 pounds. It goes to my gut and face the most. I already feel like I'm starting to lose the gut fat, not sure about the face. I'll wait for other people's reaction over the holidays for that, I guess. Thanks for all the help and advice!
Sounds like you are going about it the right way. Keep it up. I admire that you are putting more importance on being healthy rather than simply losing weight.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
standing 8countboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy
Sounds like you are going about it the right way. Keep it up. I admire that you are putting more importance on being healthy rather than simply losing weight.
Thanks Amy. I've told myself I would try to be healthy before, but never stuck with it. By actually talking to someone about it, even if you all don't really know who I am, I feel I am more likely to hold my word for it.
standing 8countboxing is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Thanks Amy. I've told myself I would try to be healthy before, but never stuck with it. By actually talking to someone about it, even if you all don't really know who I am, I feel I am more likely to hold my word for it.
I'll hold you to it.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
Middleweight
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

There are about 3,500 calories in a pound, and a 230 pound person who excercises for 20 minutes will probably burn something like 2,500 calories (probably more). If you go overkill on exercise, you can lose 3,000-3,500 in a day. That equates to 6 pounds a week if you eat NOTHING. So, your 10 pound loss has a lot to do with water weight as others have said. Don't worry about it, it's not like you actually lost 10 pounds of body fat.

Pretty much, the absolute max you can lose healthily in a week is 5 pounds. This varies from person to person though, and for most people it is less. This is the amount you would lose, say, if you exercised for an hour a day and ate only 1000 calories, which most health experts would say is unhealthy (they recommend a min of 1500). For me, I feel like a cadaver if I lose more than 2 a week. But I weigh 170, so it's a bit different.

Oh yeah, if you have a lot of muscle in addition to body fat, then it is a LOT easier to lose weight. If you are a 230 pound person who has a lot of muscle mass, then you can safely lose more than 5 a week.
Middleweight is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #20
aidensdad1127

Okay, let me break all this down for you. The human body can/will gain or lose 5-6 pounds a day. So the first that you need to do is stop weighing yourself daily . just pick a day of the week to weigh in. Do it first thing in the morning, before you shower, without any clothes on. Also, I used to work for this weight loss center and this guy came in one week and he had lost 18lbs. So everyone is different. Good luck in your endeavor to become heathy.
aidensdad1127 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #21
Svengali
Life. ***. Death.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

I think one funny thing about weight loss is how it exposes how outdated our internal system's "wiring" is. The human body is amazing and complicated but is designed for a much different time. A time when food was often scarce or of poor quality, and we've got this extra storage system because our ancient ancestors didn't know if or when their next meal would come. So sometimes, you have to trick it, and kick it, into gear in order to burn through the excess fuel.
Svengali is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #22
aidensdad1127

20 min. = 2500 Dude that isn't even close.

Doctors recomend 1500-2000 calories a day for every body. If an average person cuts 500 calories from their regular diet then they have no choice but to lose weight. and if your body is used to getting fed empty calories in excess 2000 calories a day then you will begin to lose large amounts of weight quickly. My summer before my senior year I weighed 280. I was a fat slob who never done anything. I got into boxing and the martial arts and starting eating right and I lost a little over 50 pounds over summer and continued to lose into my senior year. As you lose more fatty weight then you will begin to slow down a little bit which is a good thing. You are definitly on the right track. Drink a whole lot of water, eat whole grains, and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Peace Bro.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #23
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Whole
Man WTF?
how can you lose 2500 calories in 20 mins?
Pretty much impossible indeed. An hour of boxing equals about 1200 kcal from what I've read.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #24
aidensdad1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Whole
Man WTF?
how can you lose 2500 calories in 20 mins?
Yeah dude, I was siding with you . Depending on how intense your workout is shows in caloric usage. but it is impossible to burn 2500 in 20 min.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
Middleweight
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What I meant is, in one whole day in which you do cardio for 20 minutes (not including 5 minutes warm up and 5 minutes cool down), you will burn 2500 calories if you weigh 230 pounds. In the 20 minutes, you might burn about 300 clalories. THe rest of the day you might burn 2200 being idle at 230 pounds.

You all misunderstood what I said.
Middleweight is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
There are about 3,500 calories in a pound, and a 230 pound person who excercises for 20 minutes will probably burn something like 2,500 calories (probably more).
We understood what you said...
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
We understood what you said...
His explanation makes it perfectly clear indeed. A simple misunderstanding.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #28
Griip
President of TFE

A normal person(Not american though) with a body fat of about 20-30% can't lose more FAT than about 1-2 pounds a week. The rest will be muscles. The numbers are depending on how much fat you have on your body and it differs from person to person, but this is FACTS either way, so don't listen to the schmucks that says you can lose 10 pounds of fat a week by "training hard".
Griip is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #29
MrSmall
Journeyman

20 mins for 2500 calories?
So if I go for a 4km run, I will have used up all my calories for the day?

No.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
Vantage_West
ヒップホップ·プロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
I haven't been counting my calories at all, just watching what I eat. With a very few exceptions I haven't ate anything that could be considered "bad for you." I probably am just losing a lot of water weight right now, just by the fact I've gotten off the couch and started sweating. Regardless, I feel better. When I hit a plateau with weight loss and if I still want to lose weight I will contact you guys for better methods. As a side note I was told by my doctor to lose 20 pounds, so right now my goal is get to a little sub 200. I am 6'1" and of skinny-medium build. Nobody believes that I am 220 pounds. It goes to my gut and face the most. I already feel like I'm starting to lose the gut fat, not sure about the face. I'll wait for other people's reaction over the holidays for that, I guess. Thanks for all the help and advice!
i feel very similar to this im 5'8 168 pounds yet i am pretty trim and not heavily built.

usually it is becuase muscle density more than anything.
Vantage_West is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing