boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Could Razor Ruddock have been a world champ had he come along later than he did..?

Most certainly, in my eyes. In his prime he had three all time greats,in Mike Tyson,Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield to contend with. He lost to Lewis and Tyson,and there's little doubt,imo,that he would have done to Holyfield. If he'd come along in the last ten years,I reckon he'd have had a 50/50 shot against the Klit bros,and would have beaten most of the other contenders.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Could Razor Ruddock have been a world champ had he come along later than he did..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Most certainly, in my eyes. In his prime he had three all time greats,in Mike Tyson,Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield to contend with. He lost to Lewis and Tyson,and there's little doubt,imo,that he would have done to Holyfield. If he'd come along in the last ten years,I reckon he'd have had a 50/50 shot against the Klit bros,and would have beaten most of the other contenders.
I don't know. He seemed to abandon boxing and just got all out trying to land that big left hand to knock his man out.
I think Wladimir Klitschko might just jab him and jab him in typical boring fashion, and hurt Ruddock with an occasional right.

Sure, if Maskaev and Peter and Ruiz, Byrd, Valuev and Haye etc. can hold "world titles" obviously Ruddock could too.
Ironically, it would mean a lot less than going 12-rounds with Tyson, and getting obliterated in an eliminator for Holyfield's undisputed title by Lennox Lewis.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Could Razor Ruddock have been a world champ had he come along later than he did..

Yes I think he has a good shot as long as Lewis is out of the picture. I dont think he beats either Klit brother for sure, but he has a better shot as well as possibly picking up the WBA belt from Haye.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Yes I think he has a good shot as long as Lewis is out of the picture. I dont think he beats either Klit brother for sure, but he has a better shot as well as possibly picking up the WBA belt from Haye.
A prime Ruddock has NO CHANCE of getting Haye in the ring with him.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 693

Like pick up an alphabet belt? Sure, he wouldn't be the worse to pick up a belt with the right timing.

But Ruddock was most certianly not some great talent victimized by an unreasonable era. He was held back by his own poor habits and inconsistencies in the ring. A fighter can only bank on questionable durability, mental toughness, and one punch power for so long, it takes more than that to have any type of long term success against the elite. I think the versions of Tyson and Lewis he faced were pretty vulnerable as is, he just didn't give himself a chance by fighting stupid.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 02-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

I think he could have. He was fairly durable and had good size and great power.

Undisputed?
With his punch? Any given Saturday it's possible even if it isn't likely.

Alpha Champ?
Definitely. He could have been an alpha champ from 2000 onwards.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If he was in this division over the last 5 years i dont see him having too much trouble . Obviously K2 may be able to outbox him. There have been much worse guys with a belt than Ruddock.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i cant see why not? I liked watching Ruddock. I could see him possibley KO'ing Wlad but having his work cut out agaianst vitali. Haye would be like jesse owens if he got into the ring with razor
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Like pick up an alphabet belt? Sure, he wouldn't be the worse to pick up a belt with the right timing.

But Ruddock was most certianly not some great talent victimized by an unreasonable era. He was held back by his own poor habits and inconsistencies in the ring. A fighter can only bank on questionable durability, mental toughness, and one punch power for so long, it takes more than that to have any type of long term success against the elite. I think the versions of Tyson and Lewis he faced were pretty vulnerable as is, he just didn't give himself a chance by fighting stupid.
You nailed it Mongoose, good post!

I only disagree about Ruddock's talent, because he could have been great. I've said all along that his jab, that earned him his "Razor" nickname was comparable to Larry Holmes. He beat Lewis in the amateurs, but took him way too lightly in the pros. Had Morrison hurt and nearly out, but couldn't finish him, succombing to asthma complications. Against Tyson, both times he tried to load up on the smash without utilizing any of his boxing skills, despite being stopped early by Richard Steele the first time.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
duran duran
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

ruddock would have had no problem winning a world title now i think hed have beaten haye and his punching power would have given him a good shot against vlad not sure about vitali though he can take a punch .
duran duran is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I concur with a few of the different perspectives already posted on this thread,

On one hand, I believe that Donoven "Razor" Ruddock could have been a solid force and perhaps even a fragment belt holder anytime over the past 5-7 years, had his prime spanned during such time. On the otherhand, I also feel that some of his flaws and limitations would have prevented him from being the very best, or even staying near the top of the division very long... I wouldn't pick him to beat Wladimir Klitschko anytime after 2004, with Manny in his corner, and while I'd give prime Razor a shot at beating the current aged Vitali, its not something I'd favor him to do even at this stage.. He might have beaten David Haye, but I can't bank on it, because we haven't seen either man in against someone of the other's description, and both made a name by beating diminished opponents.. I think Ruslan Chagaev, John Ruiz, Oleg Maskaev and Sam Peter were recent champions that I might have favored Ruddock to beat..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes, I believe he could have easily been a HW champ/titlist in the past years. But, Ruddock is well known a respected for having two wars with Tyson and Koing some past Hw champs.
hussleman is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

I reckon he'd have beaten Tommy Morrison,if he'd been in his prime.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I reckon he'd have beaten Tommy Morrison,if he'd been in his prime.
Me too.

Ruddock was shot, very badly damaged goods both mentally & physically when he fought Prime Morrison, yet he gave him a brutal war, floored him & almost got a KO.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Probably. It wasn't only his limitations as a fighter that set him back. It doesn't help when you have to face Mike Tyson & Lennox Lewis on the road to the title.

Timing and connections of course plays a role in getting alphabet trinkets, look at how many Don King heavyweights have won belts or gotten a number of title shots.

Ruddock, however, was a rather dumb fighter in the ring. I'm not talking about young Ruddock, I'm talking about one I watched from 89-92. He wouldn't set up his punches with a jab. He'd just bomb away. One dimensional slugger. Too bad, because he certainly had physical gifts.

I don't think Ruddock would hold that belt for an especially long time.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum