Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

vCash: 1000
Default How do you know if you have alot of power for your weight?

I think I do and I have what I think are good reasons but I want to know for sure. Is the a lb amount per weight?
Don't say sparring because that is one of my reasons already. I just want to know in a scientific way.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: How do you know if you have alot of power for your weight?

There isn't any. It just is what it is.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
There isn't any. It just is what it is.
I'm not sure what you mean by "it is what it is".
I assume that I do from sparring what people say but I have trouble connecting full power. It rarely happens. I need to learn to have my body in the right postition.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It is what it is-you can hit or you can't; to varying degrees. I suppose someone will come in here being scientific and tell you that F=MA (Force=Mass time Acceleration). But really I think it just depends on the person; I wouldn't say there's an "average" for a weight because it's such a variable thing.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Seige-
how many fights have you had? how many stoppages?
Even that doesn't play a role in it if you're boxing as an amateur. That's actually probably one of the worst ways to figure if someone has power.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Seige-
how many fights have you had? how many stoppages?
None yet. I alway trained but never took a fight because I lose interst then go to BJJ or something else.

I don't know if it counts but when I was finding my style and learning what I was capable of I knocked out a 189lber sparring. I weighed 138. To be fair he was 3 years younger and fought 2 minute rounds in his fights. He was more experienced than me but I backed him up and he got frusterated. He started getting wrecklace and I put him down with an over hand right.

I spar the other fighters and when I catch them I can see that they are in state to were I could finish them but I back off and even make sure they are alright. Now, they beat my ass most of the time but this is just when I get a clean shot. One guy said I had "mad power" but none f this makes sense because I have tiny hands. I also have confidence issues so that is why I am looking for a scientific measurement.

If I could find a reason I would say that for my left hand it is because I broke my right sparring and trained with my left alone for three months.

I don't know. Power means nothing if you are not landing it. That is what i have to work on I guess. The ring work is really where I lack.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Filmnpuck
Journeyman

No offense, but I think everyone who trains has this little voice in their head that says "**** yeah, I could knockout a man three times my size." It doesn't really matter. Train hard, work on your technique, the power comes with proper technique more than anything, in my opinion.
Filmnpuck is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
I don't know if it counts but when I was finding my style and learning what I was capable of I knocked out a 189lber sparring. I weighed 138. To be fair he was 3 years younger and fought 2 minute rounds in his fights. He was more experienced than me but I backed him up and he got frusterated. He started getting wrecklace and I put him down with an over hand right.
It doesn't take that much pressure in the right spot to knock someone out.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
He started getting wrecklace
Reckless! I'm no spelling nazi but this was too much for me. It's your first language, for ****s sake
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
Reckless! I'm no spelling nazi but this was too much for me. It's your first language, for ****s sake
I know. I took some headache shots and it is very hard to write. I actually fix most of it before I submit it.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmnpuck
No offense, but I think everyone who trains has this little voice in their head that says "**** yeah, I could knockout a man three times my size." It doesn't really matter. Train hard, work on your technique, the power comes with proper technique more than anything, in my opinion.
None taken because I don't think I do. Everyone I train with says so.
I told I guy I was cutting to his weight class and he said "oh **** your gonna be in my weight class!" It's muay thia, a smoker fight and his kicks are way better but we sparred with just hands too.

I don't know man. I know everyone thinks they have power. I here it all the time about ho much power they have. I punched that thing at the boardwalk and got a little less that 350 with each hand weighing 140.

I don't know why I am making a big deal about it. When I fight I will, know and that is it.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I know. I took some headache shots and it is very hard to write. I actually fix most of it before I submit it.
Worthy excuse. I had headache problems as well today and yesterday. I woke up with blurry vision, I knew what was coming. It has something to do with my neck according to the doc. All the symptoms of migraine are there but it's not migraine.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
Worthy excuse. I had headache problems as well today and yesterday. I woke up with blurry vision, I knew what was coming. It has something to do with my neck according to the doc. All the symptoms of migraine are there but it's not migraine.
That is how I started. I feel you may end up getting them. If you get them often as I do, you will be taken meds just about everyday. I throw up a lot too. But then I have not explored all the solutions so..
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #14
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

I had them three times a week a year ago. It stopped after a while, but for some reason they returned. I can actually feel that my neck is too tense. It gets better if I heat up my neck with a hot water bag or under the shower. I've been training really hard the last month, perhaps I need a neck massage.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That is how I started. I feel you may end up getting them. If you get them often as I do, you will be taken meds just about everyday. I throw up a lot too. But then I have not explored all the solutions so..
Um, guys, concussion?! If you all have those symptoms and are carrying on sparring, you're really putting yourself at risk for Second Impact Syndrome.
Kolya is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing