Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default How would Danny Lopez do against Barrera & Morales?

Little Red vs...

- Barrera of the Hamed fight ('01)

and

- Morales of the Barrera rematch ('02)

How would these fights go?
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: How would Danny Lopez do against Barrera & Morales?

Style wise Barrera would be all wrong for Danny.. At least the boxer/Puncher version would... I see Barrera being too fluid for Danny and probably dissecting him and taking him out in the later rounds, however if he decides to get in a brawl with Lopez and go for the dramatic ko (a good possibility) Barrera could end up getting kod himself, for as great as a chin as Marco had, Little Red hit hard enough to dent it if Barrera decides to go toe to toe.

I see Little Red having a better shot against Morales, who at featherweight tended to be hot and cold.. The Morales that fought Espadas I, Chi,Mccoullough might end up getting kod... The Morales of the second Barrera,Pac or Ayala fights is disciplined and talented enough to probaby out box Danny Lopez.. This one is more pickem but more times than not ill go with Morales.

PS Danny Lopez is a hometown guy and the first (along with Ali) fighter i remember watching on TV... Hard to pick against him but Barrera and Morales on their best days just a little to well rounded for him.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Style wise Barrera would be all wrong for Danny.. At least the boxer/Puncher version would... I see Barrera being too fluid for Danny and probably dissecting him and taking him out in the later rounds, however if he decides to get in a brawl with Lopez and go for the dramatic ko (a good possibility) Barrera could end up getting kod himself, for as great as a chin as Marco had, Little Red hit hard enough to dent it if Barrera decides to go toe to toe.

I see Little Red having a better shot against Morales, who at featherweight tended to be hot and cold.. The Morales that fought Espadas I, Chi,Mccoullough might end up getting kod... The Morales of the second Barrera,Pac or Ayala fights is disciplined and talented enough to probaby out box Danny Lopez.. This one is more pickem but more times than not ill go with Morales.

PS Danny Lopez is a hometown guy and the first (along with Ali) fighter i remember watching on TV... Hard to pick against him but Barrera and Morales on their best days just a little to well rounded for him.
Regretably, I have to agree (Little Red is a favorite, but so are Morales and Barrera) that Barrera and Morales should be favored...But anybody Lopez hit, he had a chance with, and Barrera and Morales were hittable. Tough fights to pick, they would have been epic fights though...But I pick Marco Antonio and Eric over Lopez.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Little Red had a Lightweight punch on a featherweight frame.

Mike Ayala had him outboxed until the 15th round.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post

I used to go to a bar that Ernie "Indian Red" Lopez was a regular at, and the bartender told me that Ernie told him Danny hits harder than me... We all know Ernie was a world class welter with decent power himself.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I would pick both to beat 'Little Red', although they would need to tread carefully. Lopez has the power to take out anybody at Featherweight if he connects cleanly.

Barerra would need to fight in a similar way as he did in the Hamed fight. Although nowhere near as unorthadox as the Prince, Lopez carried the same artillery.

Morales would also have to fight a little less agressively. He has always relied on his great chin to get him through wars but this is one opponent you don't want to be putting it to the test against. He would need to fight in a similar way to the Paulie Ayala fight. Where he was slipping shots and fighting more as a counter puncher, rather than full steam ahead as in pretty much all his previous fights.

Salvador Sanchez laid the blue print for both fighters.
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

I know the Paulie Ayala was in 2004 (after the date you set) but it did show that he was capable of fighting in this way.
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

I agree with the consensus.

A Featherweight Barrera probably keeps a disciplined display of boxing with good angles and crisp punches to out-point an ever-game Lopez.

Morales I feel will start out good but maybe get over-eager and get involved with Lopez and be hurt and decked and possibly taken out.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Sayers
Journeyman

I like all three fighters but I think Morales is getting a little too much credit. His defence is nowhere near good enough to hold Lopez off and I dont think Morales is capable of being cagy enough the whole fight. I see him getting drawn into a brawl at some point and I dont think his chin could hold up the Lopez's level of power.

Danny only gets a punchers chance from me against Barrera at his best.
Sayers is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lopez was a powerful 126 pounder, but not really a good overall boxer... Lopez could be out-slicked and out-boxed.... I see both "Barrera & Morales" beating a tuff and game Lopez at 126 pounds by decisions....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Jaime Garza, no powder puff puncher himself, said "I knew Little Red. Nobody punched harder than Little Red." Not only could Danny do it with a single shot, but he proved with Mike Ayala and Poison Kotey that he had championship distance stamina as well. Sanchez beat the living crap out of him twice with a perfect performance, and still needed the championship rounds to finally stop him, without ever putting him down. The only three significant stoppage losses on Lopez's resume were to Sal and a young Chacon who won WBC FW honors his next time out. Octavio Gomez did manage to pull off a ten round decision win, a transgression Danny made the slick Famoso pay for within three rounds the next year.

Don't count on bombing Lopez out early, when Hafey, Olivares, O'Grady and even Chacon couldn't put him on ice quickly. That multitude of early knockdowns were frequently due to balance issues, and merely served all too often to wake him up. With seven first round stoppages, and at least six opening round knockdowns produced in other bouts that went beyond the first three minutes, he wasn't necessarily as slow a starter as sometimes described.

I had long since stopped following boxing by the time Barrera and Morales arrived, so I can't comment on their chances here. I just wanted to make some comments about Danny, a great champion and classy, soft spoken guy.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Little Red may have caught and pulverized Morales, but the Hamed version of Morales would have been too clever.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
bigstinkybug
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post

*Ayala was losing that fight..getting beat... if he didn't get Ko'ed,he loses UD.
bigstinkybug is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

not much to add except my support to the consensus: barrera by UD, morales possibly loses by KO in a fight of the century contender
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

I think people are understamating Morales here...If Morales would box like he chose to at times (Paulie Ayala), he definetly gets the win.

and call me crazy, but id favor Morales more than Barrera in this match up...
Zopilote is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum