MH v Sibson 14 42.42%
MH v Hamsho 1 4 12.12%
MH v Mugabi 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #16
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: What was Hagler's best of these 4: Minter, Sibson, Hamsho 1, Mugabi?

I would say the Mugabi fight was the most impressive.

Mugabi was undeafeated coming in on a run of something like 25 or 26 KO's, he didn't know how to lose. I'm not saying that Hagler looked at his best (SRL saw enough in that fight to lace them back up) but I just think because of the nature of the opponent, it's the most impressive.
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #17
Gesta
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300
Default Re: What was Hagler's best of these 4: Minter, Sibson, Hamsho 1, Mugabi?

Sibon was him best performance IMO, good denfence, great jab, purfect three jabs (combo) using angles in the 5th round, started aggesive but boxed on the back foot beutifuly for half the bout using great footwork and switch hit efectivly.

Watched this last week, his best alround performance.
Gesta is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Vs. Alan Minter for me.

Went into the United Kingdom, facing a hostile crowd and an extremely confident
Alan Minter.
Alan Minter was a slight betting favorite too (8 to 5)

There was also some hindering doubts about Marvin, when facing a little adversity.
Plus Alan, handled Vito Antuofuermo easier.
Sugar Ray Seales also had commented, that Alan hit much harder than Marvin.

There were some doubts about Marvin going in.

He obviously answered them, and then the 'Legend' started.
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Mugabi. Because whether Marvin was suffering from ring rust or not, Mugabi was a monstrous puncher who gave Hagler all sorts of problems which Marvin had to overcome. He took John's best shots flush on the jaw and eventually prevailed with KO.
All the fights on the poll are great wins though!
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
Mugabi.
Wasn't Hagler at one point being out boxed by Mugabi? Mugabi was best known as a puncher, not a boxer. I think Sugar Ray saw this match, and that convinced him he could beat Hagler.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #21
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Hagler wasn't that good against Mugabi, he had obviously slipped from say his dismantling of Minter, who was a class above Mugabi.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Sibson by quite a distance.

A top class performance by Hagler against a proven and deserving challenger.

Mugabi was an exciting contender but hadn't really beaten anyone, Hagler had had a year off following the war with Hearns and managed to wear down and stop his man, who was nowhere near the same ever again.

Minter was a good opponent but made for Hagler in that his chin wasn't all that, he cut easily and wasn't the greatest technician.

I just wish boxing had more Hagler's these days, instead of Haye's or Mayweather's.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Wasn't Hagler at one point being out boxed by Mugabi? Mugabi was best known as a puncher, not a boxer. I think Sugar Ray saw this match, and that convinced him he could beat Hagler.
Hagler had the tough fight with Hearns and I think mentally put his all in that fight. After Hearns he got the pizza hut endorment and Coca Cola commercials, which is what he always wanted. He was off a year which for Hagler was unheard of, and he got rusty. When he was in the ring before Mugabi he looked soft compared to how he normally looked. He lost something in that year. Motivation and just maybe worn out from the Hearns fight. Anyway, he had a tough fight with Mugabi and takes another year off and fights Ray. Hagler's last fight where he was in championship shape was Hearns.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #24
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Sibson was the best performance.

Quality of opponent, I would say Hamsho was probably the best, although Boom Boom may disagree; but I think Minter had already jumped the shark by the Hagler bout. His behaviour pre fight sort of showed that IMO.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum