Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
Woddy

vCash:
Default How good of a fight could Cooney have given Tyson in 1986?

In 1986, Mike Tyson was between 19-20 years old. Cooney was 29-30. Tyson stood 5'11" and weighed around 216. Cooney was 6'7" and weighed about 225. Cooney wasn't particularly active, but scored okay wins over Phil Brown, George Chaplin, and Eddie Greg. Tyson was much more active, but being taken 10 rounds a piece by Tillis, Green and Ribalta. Later that year he would destroy Berbick.

Could Cooney's size, experience and style have prevailed against a young, green Tyson? On the otherhand, would Cooney be another Mitch Green who just survived the 10 round distance?. Or would Cooney's inactivity and lack of confidence, lead him down the path to a stoppage early?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How good of a fight could Cooney have given Tyson in 1986?

Well, if Cooney gets his huge left hooks in clean on Tyson right away, he has a shot at discouraging Tyson, but I doubt he'd get them in, as he didn't have a good jaw, or survival skills.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Not very ,I say he gets blasted out before the 5th round.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Cooney was one of my favorite fighters when I was first really getting into boxing, but he would have been cannon fodder for Tyson in '86. If he made it past the third, I'd be surprised.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tyson would chop him down in no time. Anywhere from 35 seconds to 3 rounds for me.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 AM   #6
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Cooney was one of my favorite fighters when I was first really getting into boxing, but he would have been cannon fodder for Tyson in '86. If he made it past the third, I'd be surprised.
For once i have to agree with you.

I think Cooney had very little durability. Just that it was hidden by the fact that he rarely faced a puncher who was anywhere close to his prime. Tyson would annihilate him.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 215

Cooney mentally would not of been able to cope. He in theory had the physical tools to compete, but Cooney was with hindsight (I thought he would give Spinks hell ), a lost cause post Holmes.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Tyson would get a good workout for his next fight.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woddy
In 1986, Mike Tyson was between 19-20 years old. Cooney was 29-30. Tyson stood 5'11" and weighed around 216. Cooney was 6'7" and weighed about 225. Cooney wasn't particularly active, but scored okay wins over Phil Brown, George Chaplin, and Eddie Greg. Tyson was much more active, but being taken 10 rounds a piece by Tillis, Green and Ribalta. Later that year he would destroy Berbick.

Could Cooney's size, experience and style have prevailed against a young, green Tyson? On the otherhand, would Cooney be another Mitch Green who just survived the 10 round distance?. Or would Cooney's inactivity and lack of confidence, lead him down the path to a stoppage early?

What do you think?
Tyson wins this probably early Cooney has neither the style or Chin to beat Tyson.

I see Cooney lasting 5 rounds at best.
godking is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
JohnBKelly
Journeyman

Cooney was shot after the Holmes fight so he would be easy meat for Tyson in 86 just like he was for Spinks. Cooney and Tyson both threw away their best years.
JohnBKelly is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
Woddy

vCash:

If Cooney shows up in good shape in 1986, against Tyson unlike the way he was against Spinks a year later, then he might give Tyson a few rounds worth of trouble. Cooney was much larger than Tyson, and might catch Mike as he's coming in with some of those left hooks and uppercuts. Gerry would have been one of the hardest and largest punchers that Mike ever faced, and a 1986 Tyson at age 19-20, was having enough trouble with a shot Tillis, and average Mitch Green. Cooney didn't have the durability needed to go 10 rounds with Tyson, but keep in mind, Tyson would still have to land on Cooney to take full advantage of this. When Gerry wanted to, he could box fairly well, and had a lengthy jab with significant power.

Most people see Cooney in 1986 falling victom to Tyson early, and that may be the case, but if Gerry shows up ready to fight, then he might give a green Tyson trouble for 5 or 6 rounds.
A 1981 Cooney could have given an 86' Tyson quite a bit of trouble if he cought him early.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
Langford
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Cooney would largely beat himself before he got into the ring. I do not like his chances all that much. '86 Tyson KO 2 '86 Gerry Cooney.
Langford is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
CzarKyle
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Cooney mentally would not of been able to cope. He in theory had the physical tools to compete, but Cooney was with hindsight (I thought he would give Spinks hell ), a lost cause post Holmes.
I agree 100% with this. Cooney could have landed some decent shots against Tyson, but I highly doubt he'd last too long after getting tagged by Tyson's left hook.

Cooney against Spinks I'd easily assume Cooney coming out on top, but Spinks really but that thought to death.

Second Opinion (It just came to me): If Cooney had come in ready for the fight like against Holmes, then he'd have a much greater chance. But would Cooney have been able to get himself that psyched up again? That's the thin line that would make that fight go from a possible Tyson domination to a real slugfest. I'd still say a young Tyson would come out on top.

Now if we start placing certain version's of each fighter against each other, I'd say:

1981 Cooney Vs. 1988 Tyson - This would be the battle to watch.
Winner: Tyson possibly by late match KO, and maybe...just maybe...Cooney would be able to do some serious damage to Tyson.

1986 Cooney Vs. 1986 Tyson - I'd say this one a young Tyson still does damage. This version of Cooney appeared beatable.

1981 Cooney Vs. 1990 Tyson (The Buster Douglas version) - This would be Cooney's best chance to win. Nearly any great contender could lay claim to this version. I can't really call this one. I want to say Cooney, but I'm unsure.

1990 Cooney Vs. 1988 Tyson - This would be a huge blow out. Tyson victory.
CzarKyle is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The thing here to is that Holmes took the sensible super cautious route vs Cooney. He had him possibly ready to go early but remained cautious, if he let loose she might be goodnight. Holmes may have made Cooney look better by simply giving him plenty of time to compete. It's reasonable that Holmes might have taken Cooney out easily
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

Even with his size, I think Cooney would be a little terrified.

Tyson would get inside and knock him out.
SteveO is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum