Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #46
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali overrated says Larry Holmes

It's amazing how some individuals get old, and then get bitter.Holmes has a right to his opinion, but, damn, phrase it right.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

For how good a young Cassius Clay or Muhammad Ali was, probably Cody Jones
could answer it best.

He, of the monster left hook, and many rounds with the young man.

Can't figure Holmes out. He has his wits, money, and quiet fame.
What else could he want.
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #48
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
**** sake! You didn't aggressively criticise him! You're making progress man.
:d :d
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #49
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Yeh i'am well with yer on this

Always the case at any time when you've a top act to follow such as Ali for larry & much the same as the treatment Holyfield received after Tyson got banged up. It's all about being media savvy at the end of the day & who's got the most sellable ink gets the joe casual support & larry was hardly media savvy on his best day was he.
I agree,mate. Larry was smart in a lot of ways,but not MEDIA smart.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #50
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't think Holmes is a bitter old man at all.
He was bitter when he was younger. But now he's not.

He says Ali's overrated, but he often also says how great Ali is. Somewhere in there there's some sense to be made of what he's saying, he's just not exactly the best person at expressing things.

I like Larry because he still thinks like a fighter. When he says Ali or whoever is overrated, or "can't fight" or "can't punch", he just means to say he could have kicked their ass. I like that about Larry.
At his age he's entitled to say it.

Besides, he sparred with Ali and Frazier, so I guess his opinion counts whether wer like it or agree with it or not.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #51
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I don't think Holmes is a bitter old man at all.
He was bitter when he was younger. But now he's not.

He says Ali's overrated, but he often also says how great Ali is. Somewhere in there there's some sense to be made of what he's saying, he's just not exactly the best person at expressing things.

I like Larry because he still thinks like a fighter. When he says Ali or whoever is overrated, or "can't fight" or "can't punch", he just means to say he could have kicked their ass. I like that about Larry.
At his age he's entitled to say it.

Besides, he sparred with Ali and Frazier, so I guess his opinion counts whether wer like it or agree with it or not.
That's pretty much what it is. He and Tyson don't get along, but in a recent interview he said that he thinks it's great Tyson was inducted into the hall of fame and said that he's a great guy.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #52
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I've always been a fan of Larry Holmes, but the man has definitely made a career out of slandering other great champions, ie. Marciano, Foreman, Tyson, etc... He has systematically complained about not getting enough recognition, but fails to see that bad mouthing public idols only makes things worse.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #53
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I've always been a fan of Larry Holmes, but the man has definitely made a career out of slandering other great champions, ie. Marciano, Foreman, Tyson, etc... He has systematically complained about not getting enough recognition, but fails to see that bad mouthing public idols only makes things worse.
He tends to slander those who are constantly brought up around him and make him feel like people say they are better than he was. He's also said some very nice things about Tyson, Marciano, Ali, etc. Obviously he's spoken more negative than positive, but the positive is definitely there.

If he was as big of a prick as he is made out to be, he'd never have helped out Frazier financially, and wouldn't be friends with Frazier, Norton, Ali, Cooney, Cobb, Leonard, etc.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #54
fistsof steel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Larry must be on medication.!!!
Who could forget what Ali did to both Foreman and liston,these 2 Fighters were Brutal Heavyweights and were destroying Great opponents very quickly,then along came the Great Man Ali and he fair dinkum Toyed with both of these Monsters,don't forget Ali spent 3 Years of His prime in exile also.
Holmes has lost all credibility with this statement.!!!!

Last edited by fistsof steel; 02-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.
fistsof steel is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #55
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sparring is one thing. In a real match, Ali wins. Not a sick Ali.
clark is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #56
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

larry is one who is overrated.sonny liston and george foreman would wipe his ass,so would joe frazier.hell even old norton almost beat him
ticar is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #57
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

He wasn't overrated as an ATG. No way. Perhaps Larry was talking about Ali wasn't a complete fighter and was overrated regarding his inability to fight inside and seldom punching downstairs?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #58
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticar View Post
larry is one who is overrated.sonny liston and george foreman would wipe his ass,so would joe frazier.hell even old norton almost beat him

Easy Big Fella,,,,,,,,,Larry had a pulled bicep muscle when facing Kenny.

But I do agree,,,,,,,,George Foreman, Sonny Liston and Joe Frazier a different group of 'gladiators'
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #59
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
He wasn't overrated as an ATG. No way. Perhaps Larry was talking about Ali wasn't a complete fighter and was overrated regarding his inability to fight inside and seldom punching downstairs?
I always thought Ali's inside fighting was sold a bit short. I mean, I think he was worlds better inside than any of the three major titlists we have currently reigning, not that that's a glowing recommendation, but still. Ali had some very good spots inside against Joe Frazier---one of the best inside fighters...ever, imo. I don't feel he had an inability to fight inside. He just shined on the outside and logically preferred it there is all, it seems to me.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #60
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I admire Holmes as a fighter,he's a good candidate for being the second greatest heavyweight of my lifetime. But Larry has always had a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Muhammad Ali was a hell of an act to follow,and Holmes has never quite got over it. Well Joe Louis was also a big act to succeed. Ezzard Charles got over it,so should Larry. The chip on Larry's OTHER shoulder,for a long time,has been George Foreman. George generated a lot of popularity in his second career,and this gets up Larry's nose. Larry,you were a fine champion in your own right....GET OVER IT....! Rant over...!
Ezzard Charles(one of my favs) was a humble man. Larry is loud and disrespectful. Two different personalities. I respect Larry but man can he run his mouth when he wants. I understand his bitterness though as he had to succeed Ali. No offense to Holmes but it was easier for Tyson to succeed Holmes than Holmes succeeding Ali.
techks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum